Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Response from VDOT on PWC and Horner Rd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Response from VDOT on PWC and Horner Rd
    Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 8:20am
I wrote VDOT an email regarding the situation at Horner and the under-utilization of other lots in the area and just 5 days later received this response that I thought might benefit others who have been wanting to contact the county. Sounds like we're being "spied on". [;)]

RESPONSE FROM VDOT:

Thank you for your email to Mr. E. E. Hull, Acting District Administrator, regarding commuter parking in Prince William County, specifically at the Horner Road lot, and your suggestions for improvement. Mr. Hull asked me to respond on his behalf.

Availability of commuter parking plays a vital role in the success of the I-95 corridor HOV lanes. Prince William County police have jurisdiction over the parking enforcement, safety, and security at the commuter lots. You may also want to express your views on enforcement to the Prince William County Police.

As you have rightly pointed out the Horner Road lot is filling up early because of the increase in demand and commuters relocating from other lots in the area to this lot due to its close proximity to I-95 and the availability of slug lines. VDOT has received several emails on the parking situation at this lot and has been providing information to commuters on the availability of spaces at other lots in the area to promote their use as well as providing the slug-lines.com website so commuters can check the availability of slug lines at the different lots.

VDOT traffic engineers have been monitoring the slug-lines.com web site for the past year and have worked closely with the web master, Mr. David Leblanc. This past spring, VDOT assisted the slug membership establish multiple lines for separate destinations to alleviate congestion at the lot entrance on Telegraph Road. Since "slugging" is a voluntary and self-enforcing process, it was desirable for the slugs to determine and evaluate their own patterns for operation. The new lines were successful and have been established without the use of permanent signs. This is beneficial since the slugs are free to adjust their patterns at any time if needed.

VDOT engineers will continue to monitor traffic conditions at this lot and are willing to work with all affected parties to reach a collective solution. They will also determine if signal-timing adjustments are needed at the intersection of Telegraph Road and Caton Hill Road. Please feel free to call Mr. Derek Schuler, P.E. of VDOT's Traffic Engineering Section at (703) 383-2471 to discuss this matter further. Mr. Schuler can also be reached at derek.schuler@virginiaDOT.org.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns.

Jo Anne Sorenson
Assistant District Engineer for Planning and Development

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
aaron_the_prince View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron_the_prince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 10:45am
WB. Thanks for taking the initiative to write to VDOT. We got the response we all expected. Blah, blah, blah, go to Potomac Mills instead.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 1:45pm
After complaining in writing to Maureen Caddigan's office, I got a call from a VDOT official who said they wanted to reduce overflow parking at Horner mostly because of the Telegraph Road parkers. He agreed that moving people to Potomac Mills would also result in less of a backup on the northbound stretch of I-95 right before you exit to go to Horner. PMer's have to get off one exit prior, which will help ease the congestion in that stretch both in the morning and evening.

But more importantly, he said the long-term transportation plans include a large Horner-style lot sited approximately where the 234 lot is now. Of course, I was soon deep into negotiations with him on another subject and am now the proud owner of a large bridge in New York City. The Brooklynn, or Brookline, or something....

But seriously, a big lot at the 234/I-95 intersection is NOT an option: it's a Must. With the expansion of 234 into a 6-lane mega-road, and the subdivisions popping up along it like an impatient rash, the county has to begin to work with VDOT today to identify land for a lot. I was told it would take at least 2 years to get a commuter lot through the process, approved, and built. I told him just dump a bunch of gravel in a big field and stand back-- the slugs will use it, if it's big enough.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2004 at 3:17pm
There's word of another hearing at PWC next Tues (10/19) regarding Horner Rd ticketing/overflow issues for those that could not attend this past Tuesday's meeting. Unfortunately I can't attend but it would be great for us to represent the slugging community and voice our concerns and suggestions in person. I no longer use Horner Rd but for those who are still raging mad about the lot should definitely attend.

jc9 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 9:48am
SpongeBob, Good news on the expansion of the 234 lot! It sure IS a must! I can't believe it will take 2 years - by then that area will need a multi-level garage to accomodate all the cars that will use it! The current lot is already almost full when I get there at 6:00am!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 11:46am
Per the VDOT guy I talked to, a multi-level lot costs $15,000 per space to construct (I was joking about doing it and going into business myself.) At $60 a month per space, it would take over 20 years to pay for itself. Even I am not that foolish with my money.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 2:47pm
$15k per space!? That's ridiculous. I can buy some gravel, tar, concrete, and white paint for much less than that. Even adding in the upkeep and overhead costs that seems outrageous.

WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 3:09pm
The next PWC Transportation Advisory Board Meeting is on Thursday, October 28 at 7:30 PM where citizens will be able to discuss HOT lanes and other traffic-related issues further with the board. It's a great opportunity for us to voice our concerns.

Check out the TAB pages for more info http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=010087002020002696

In addition, the PWC Board of County Supervisors will hold their next meeting on Oct 19th.

This is their 2004 agenda schedule http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/001867.pdf

SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 3:19pm
The next Supervisors meeting is on the 19th, but it is at 2:00 p.m. VDOT will make its regular monthly presentation at that afternoon meeting. There will not be an evening session the 19th.

The next evening session is at 7:30 p.m. on the 26th.

I just got off the phone with Connaughton's secretary who does the agendas, so I hope I got the scoop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic