Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCounty closer to HOT lanes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 2:59pm
The next PWC Transportation Advisory Board Meeting is on Thursday, October 28 at 7:30 PM where citizens will be able to discuss HOT lanes and other traffic-related issues further with the board. It's a great opportunity for us to voice our concerns.

Check out the TAB pages for more info http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=010087002020002696

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!

WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 3:06pm
In addition, the PWC Board of County Supervisors will hold their next meeting on Oct 19th.

This is their 2004 agenda schedule http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/001867.pdf

koakui View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koakui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2004 at 4:16pm
One of the things that they fail to point out is this: They are studying the California HOT system. Well, in California that system works very well. It is a separate highway system apart from the other highways. For Example, you can take the 5 northbound or jump on the ramp that takes you to the toll road. If you chose the toll road, you get on that ramp, you either pay your toll or you swipe your Fast Trak card. You are off on your way until it dumps you into the city or the various side points. The toll roads provide for the repairs to their road and sets the fare charges depending on time of day and congestion. It is completely apart from the normal highway system and is funded only by those who pay to drive on the HOT aka Toll Roads. It is not in any way connected to their HOV system (by the way is HOV-2) and does not share any of the public roadways that taxpayers pay for. If you are interested, see this link about the toll roads there. http://www.thetollroads.com/home/about_history.htm

I think this may be a valid argument we should bring up at the county meeting.

What do you guys think?
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 8:22am
Its all well and good to complain about the HOT solution, however if not HOT what then? I think it will be forever before VDOT funds an extension / expansion to the HOV lanes. If nothing is done, which is always an option for Virginia, the HOV lanes will be beyond capacity in a few short years. The merge down in Stafford get worse as time goes along. Used to be just Friday afternoon that it was bad but now.......almost every day. So, that being said, I dont have a solution either, except that its not cheap to commute to DC. Something will have to be done soon or the system will be non-functional in a short few years. The growth in Stafford alone could break the system.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 11:08am
TDAR20, Please go back up and read what I wrote two posts ago. The HOT lanes mean the elimination of HOV. It is essential to their operation that they be restricted to only those who pay, otherwise they become too crowded. Fluor has stated as much in public meetings and been quoted to this effect in the Post. HOT is dependent upon a corresponding decrease in HOV traffic.

If you think the backup heading south is bad, wait until HOT comes! And going north in the morning: imagine an extra lane of traffic merging down to the Pentagon and 14th St. exits. Ha!

Plus, the HOT proposal by Fluor contains almost two dozen more exit/entrances: what's the first rule of maintaining high traffic speeds and traffic flow? Limited access points. HOT breaks that rule. We're going to be stuck in backups forever.

So if you want a solution, here's one: buy an old Class C RV for $10,000 and commute in it -- at least you'll have a shower and toilet for the long day of sitting in line.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 11:29am
This sounds RIDICULOUS. UNDERUTILIZED HOV lanes???? Let me tell you, I drive those lanes in ALL hours -- rush hour and otherwise. This morning, I left for work at 10:00 a.m. One might think that I had a smooth ride to Springfield from Quantico. NOPE ... took over an hour ... no accidents or incidents -- just too many people. HOT lanes are NOT the answer. BETTER and more train systems. I realize the profitability factor isn't there ... but my GOSH ... what I wouldn't do to be able to park my butt on a train to get to work. I don't know if the HOT lanes can be stopped, but you can BET, that I'm THANKFUL for the military and our expected transition AWAY from D.C. in 2006.

ScarletLSG
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 12:08pm
Im sure that the Omnilink Bus system is licking their chops over this toll thing, and the elimination of hov, which would ultimatly destroy one of their major compeditors.....slugs.

tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 1:55pm
SpongeBob.....first you cant prove the HOT lanes are going to cause more of a back up; it is only your opinion. My point is that if nothing is done at all then the HOV lanes will be way past capacity in a very short time. HOT lanes change the face of HOV but does not eliminate them all together. Something has to be done...last I heard fromthe State was a study that proved the capacity limit will be reached but there is nothing in the future budgets to lengthen the HOV lanes past the current merge near Quantico. And by the way, I for one would be willing to pay extra to use the HOT lanes as long as they extend them past F'burg. During the last 10 years I have tried every way I can think of to get to work and they either cost you time or money. The growth in Spotsy and Stafford alone will bust the system in the near future.
gatewayslug View Drop Down
Junior Slug
Junior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatewayslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 3:10pm
Counterpoint, SpongeBob. I stick to my interpretation of HOV-4 because is said 3 passengers, not three occupants. Here is the sentence from the first post - "Instead of requiring two passengers, the new lanes would require three or more passengers per vehicle to avoid a toll charge." I95 HOV-3 currently requires two passengers (plus the driver) and the statement says it will go to three passengers. Now, granted they may be talking specifically about the new third land they want to add, but unless it is physically separated it will be as hard to control as I66 HOV-2 two is currently. Almost sounds like they want to make free slugging as difficult as possible so people will be forced to pay them to use the lanes.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2004 at 8:31am
Good point gateway, I remember a long while ago when 95 was like 66 without the middle lanes. You would always have people running in and out of the lanes to try to get ahead of the traffic.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic