Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recent AM 95N Congestion--What's gives?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HOVer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent AM 95N Congestion--What's gives?
    Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 10:53am
Hello all! Does anybody know why it's been so congested inside the beltway in HOV going north on 95 in the AM lately? With the exception of last Friday, every single day we've been slowed down somewhere between Springfield and Seminary for at least a few miles, and sometimes all the way into town. There's never been an accident or other obvious explanation. What do you know?
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 11:31am
HOVer ... I agree. This morning, I waited to leave until 10:00 a.m. from Quantico and was still backed up forever BEFORE getting to Springfield. I've no idea why as there were no accidents/incidents or police pullovers.

ScarletLSG
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 11:35am
Cheaters and hybrids, enough said....
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 12:00pm
no..it's something other than that. It is all of a sudden
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 12:26pm
Depending on how much the police are seen to be enforcing sometimes determines how many cheaters will chance it on the HOV. I've also heard that the hybrids are selling like hotcakes due to the HOV exemption. Have you counted how many cheaters and how many hybrids you've seen on the HOV lately? Have you noticed a lack of enforcement lately? If you want to do something you can:

1) Contact the state police and complain about the lack of enforcement
Bud Cox
Management Analyst
Virginia State Police
804-674-2127
bcox@vsp.state.va.us

and/or

2) Write to your legislators and ask them to pull the HOV exemption for the hybrids
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 12:37pm
Another thing you can do: lobby for alternate work hours, flex time, and telework. These solutions are going to be necessary to reduce commuting pressure. I notice the backup on the news at 7:30 each morning, but by the time I get there an hour later it's gone.

(Gosh, maybe we need to drive the whole commuting problem into total gridlock... then we could all work from home!!!)
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 1:10pm
Slugbuddy, Thanks for that email address for the VA St Police. We "legal" commuters need to complain about this lack of enforcement. Wish we had a whole list of persons to email! Are police and officials just going to let HOV to to hell until the real hell comes when they start building HOT?
gsteele View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 1:12pm
I don’t think that the backup is due to cheaters (hybrids maybe. when is there exemption up for experation?). But I rarely see cheaters. I think more people have wised up to slugging or carpooling. O'well, zooming to work on the hov was good while it lasted.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 1:55pm
Radio traffic report said that the backup today was a result of extra security at the Pentagon today. I bypassed slugs, took Van Dorn to King to 395 and got to work right on time.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2004 at 3:49pm
I didn't notice anything different on the Hill today. But the road crews were still working regular lanes at 5:00 am and from the TV the roads were packed!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic