Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Parking Fees in Stafford County

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Parking Fees in Stafford County
    Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 10:26am
Did any one read the article in the F'Burg Freelance Star this week about charging non-Stafford county residents fees for parking in the commuter lots? It seems Stafford County is thinking about asking VDOT if they can take over these lots then start charging non-county residents parking fees. Here's the url for the article:

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2004/102004/10202004/1543991
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 10:34am
Yes, I posted that link too. There needs to be a big push to get the Fredericksburg lines going stronger unless people want to have to pay to park?!?! If they can get the Routes 208, 3, and 17 lots going during the entire morning slug times, that would free up some of the parking at the North Stafford lots and the county might not get involved. We need to lose the mentality that the south lots are only early lots. Anyone up for that?
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 3:43pm
Hoo boy, talk about a can of worms.

What if we did that in Prince William County to keep out all the Stafford and F'burg commuters? It sounds good at first, but what happens to the military slugs whose cars are tagged out of state? Would they get to park?

And why should a lot built with state money ever be restricted to a single county's residents? That's almost the definition of unfair.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 3:59pm
It wasn't my idea, it was the county's leadership that came up with that one. The problem is that there isn't enough parking at the 610 lots (particularly Mine Road) and yet there is plenty of parking at Routes 208, 3, and 17 (and yes, even the old 610 lot has plenty of parking). People just have the mentality to not use those lots as much and especially not later in the morning. To prevent the overcrowding problem, the slugs need to come up with something better and fast or else the slugs who don't live in Stafford (or have Stafford decals) are either not going to be able to park or are going to have to pay to park. It doesn't seem like too many people are worried though. Maybe they don't care if they have to pay to park...
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 4:14pm
Maureen Caddigan's office inquired about restricting the PWC lots to PWC residents, and I was told she got turned down. And certainly it should have been. We're all in this together, folks. Stafford, F'burg, and PWC all need to build new lots.
SlugBuddy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlugBuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2004 at 4:21pm
Sponge, the county has no money (Stafford at least). They have no way, space or money to build more lots, especially when there are plenty of lots that are being under-utilized. According to the article they are going to take over the lots from VDOT and in that case would mean they could very well charge for people to park there. The VRE's lots in Stafford are owned by the county and they charge non-county residents to park there...
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2004 at 10:41pm
I'm only familiar with the Rt. 3 lot, but I would say that we slugs need to get a better system going for that particular lot. As a F'burg resident who lives very close to it, I would love to use that lot; however, I'm not about to return home via the Pentagon (my AM destination is 14th street). I've tried to gauge interest in starting a DC line for Rt. 3 in the afternoons, to no avail. That seeming lack on interest/need, coupled with the lack of a bus system, means that other lots (such as Horner, which I use and hate) will have to pick up the burden. We slugs need to get better organized and mobilized to make the system more efficient and effective.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2004 at 2:08pm
I am trying to form a commuter action group mentioned on another thread. Attempting to organize the commuters for representation.
I have the 52nd district Virginia delegate backing up this idea. I have not gotten any emails or responses to my posting. If anyone is interested and serious about organizing, please check my posting.

Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2004 at 6:57am
I received a ticket once from PW county when I parked at horner road. I had just bought a used civic and didnt yet have my PW stickers, so I was ticketed. Same thing Im guessing would happen down south.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2004 at 10:24am
I think it's a wonderful idea. Yeah, we're all on this together, but not until we get out on the 95. The county should take over the lots and ticket non-county residents for parking. It's simple to enforce, if you have your county-specific car tax tag, you're good to go; if you're in the military, then the county gives you a sticker indicating that you are a resident of that county allowing you to park in the county's lots. For those of you living further south on the 95 line and who want to park at Horner, perhaps the county could charge you for an annual parking pass: $100.00. I'm tired of arriving at 234, Horner, PM and every other lot each morning only to find out those lots are filled and the majority of those parked are from Stafford, Spotsylvania and F-burg. Then I get lectured from the early birds: "arrive earlier!" Well, coming into the office at 7am is not an option. Petition your community leaders to do what leaders in PWC have had the foresight to do: build more and larger lots. Making it possible for commuters to connect at lots closest to their homes makes a lot sense and it would sure ease the commutes home for all of us. Think of the poor F-burg slug parked at Horner on Friday in July. After he transfers at Horner, he's got to endure I-95 South traffic for another 20 miles on the choked up main lanes. Now if that slug had parked at a lot near his home, he'd be smooth sailing for most of the way home.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic