Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow was the PWC Board meeting last night?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 4:45pm
No, the Feds don't own them. VDOT owns the highways.

No writing of letters is going to stop this project. Only loud public outcry will work. But the death of the slug won't mean anything to most people. Better to point out the hit to their wallets. The free HOV lanes at night and mid-day are Going Away Forever in about a year. That'll get some attention.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2004 at 6:27pm
It is my understanding that the Board(s) of Supervisors really don't have any say-so in this. One of the frightening aspects is that this Regional Transportation Board acts autonomously and can push through whatever they want. There is no voting, no approval by counties, nothing. They just recommend it and VDOT does it. This Transportation Board does have periodic meetings, but it has appeared to me that they dont advertize the meetings too much. I will try to find out when the next one is. I think it may be posted on VDOT site.
ering View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 10:13am
I would definitely think that someone has the authority to stop this. If the Fed can step in and tell VA to change its regulations regarding Hybrids I would think that they could step in and tell VA a road paid for by tax dollars cannot be switched to toll. There is more to this than what is being said. I do think that a public outcry would catch some attention.

Erin
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 11:14am
VDOT now officially backs toll roads (misnamed HOT) so I don't think one can look for help there, at least without a change of administration. Market-based "solutions" are bread-and-butter for the Republicans in charge in Richmond, but I doubt even the Democrats would be immune to the allure of laying pavement and claiming revenue.

Anyone notice Congressman Frank Wolf's ad on WTOP this morning that mentions, as a positive, that he "reduced restrictions on the HOV lanes"? Is that a reference to something on I66 or to the long-ago switch from HOV-4 to HOV-3 on I95?

One thing we could use is a solid counter-proposal. Remember, this all started as an unsolicited proposal by Clark, and then Fluor jumped in. No one asked for this. VDOT has no study that says this idea is going to reduce congestion. The RTA didn't ask for it, as far as I know. The District hasn't said anything. But the toll roads proposal is all anyone has to think about -- we need alternative ideas put forward, and a prominent citizen to help. A Congressperson, perhaps.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic