Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why not HOV-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not HOV-4
    Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:05am
A thought came to me last night as I was slugging home...Could HOV-4 be the answer to the congestion? I never understood why if cars are 4 seaters it's HOV-3 (or even worse, HOV-2). All this mess about the HOT lanes got me thinking, if they're planning on HOV-4 as an exemption from tolls, then why can't we do it now on our FREE HOV? If we start using HOV-4 and by the time the Hybrids are gone it would reduce traffic significantly. It only makes sense right? Your briefcases, suits, and child seats can sit in the trunk for an hour if it means getting there faster right? Am I crazy with this idea?

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
salsita View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:08am
I believe it would help, but as an owner of a child seat, I have mine attached through the LATCH system and it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get out. Being that I use my child seat on a daily basis, it would be a pain for me to put in and remove my carseat. And with the stroller in the trunk, I doubt it would fit.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:19am
By the time 2006 comes around, there will be enough hybrid drivers/voters that it may not be politically possible to eliminate their exemption.
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:27am
Why not HOV-4?

One word.... PARKING...

There currently isn't enough for the possible extra cars that may need to park.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:35am
HOV 4 is harder than HOV 3. Would be best to eliminate ALL exemptions but stick with HOV3, but as mentioned in the other posts, the parking issue at Horner, etc. is becoming a crisis. Any reason the counties/state couldn't build multilevel parking garages and then the parkers could pay a $2-$5 per day fee? If they are slugging the rest of their commute is free. Also what about a more efficient, frequent train system?
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 9:46am
HOV-4 is very tough for carpoolers. Most cars only carry 4 passengers confortably so your carpool is limited to 4 members. Anyone who has been in a carpool knows that it is very common to have one or more members out on any given day, so it is almost impossible to have a real carpool with HOV-4. Of course, they can pick up a slug to fill the car, but that sort of diminishes the value of having a set number of members who can just jump in and go.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 11:12am
Wow, I didn't think it was that much of a deal to add one more person into your car. Thought it'd be better than trying to spend more tax money on "solutions" or having the HOT. Either way they're all temporary fixes, as the DC area grows we'll be facing the same problems in another 5-10 years. It'll be a matter of time before we're all living in tiny-apartment skyscrapers with shopping centers underground like in Toronto and Asia. The new houses in the suburbs are already close enough you can reach out your window and touch your neighbor. When will this insanity end!? [:P]
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 11:27am
Some history ... when I left DC for an overseas posting in 1989, I-95/I-395 was indeed HOV-4, and when I returned to DC in 1994 the HOV restriction had changed to HOV-3.

Anyone know for sure what caused the change during that 4 1/2-year period?

I heard the change was to make it easier for drivers to get enough riders and encourage the increased use of the HOV lanes - especially since HOV lanes were extended south to Dumphries. Evidently, slugging wasn't quite as popular and extensive then as it is now. I never had a problem with HOV-4 commuting from Springfield-Burke. Was it more difficult to get enough riders in PW, Stafford, and Spotsy' counties back then before the big growth in population and all the development in those counties? [?]
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 11:58am
I found that when drivers outnumber sluggers, it is hard to get that extra person. I also have a car seat in back. So, yes, a fourth person would be difficult to squeeze into the back. I particularly experienced problems in the summer time.

Solution is for people to move elsewhere -- like the moon. People will move where the jobs are and this is what is happening here. Counties will have to have a more conservative growth plan -- maybe toss in some incentives for jobs to move South. Nothing like living in a bedroom community.

Keep HOV 3, nix the exemptions, and ditch the HOT lane proposal. Also toss in DC, VA and MD constructively timing the traffic lights to help with traffic flow, and closing HOV at Edsall and Pentagon.
jek View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2004 at 12:40pm
WBSlug7 -
I, for one, like the idea of HOV-4 very much. Years ago, the HOV lanes required 4 people and there was a noticeable increase in cars on the HOV lanes when it went to HOV-3. (Sludge - I believe you are right - the slug lines back then had much fewer participants.) Considering that the HOV lanes get more and more congested each year, I think your idea is a great one. How many of us haven't complained about how our commute time on the HOV lanes keeps getting longer and longer?

I would rather remove the car seat than sit in this worsening traffic. The slugging system cannot possibly be tailored for everyone (including the sometimes drivers, such as someone missing a carpool member for the day). IT MUST ADDRESS THE MASSES. There definitely is the parking problem, but again, I would rather take temporary measures, such as leaving early (of course, that does leave the later arrivals with no parking spaces) than continue to see my commute time lengthen. Some folks I've talked to said they would be willing to take turns sharing rides with neighbors to the lots and they would require one parking space, and others have said that they have a family member that can drop them off...that type of thing. Although not everyone can do this, I would rather think of another alternative to the lots than spend more and more time for an already long commute (from Rt. 17). In the meantime, I suggest bombarding your representatives with demands for more or larger lots. I have done so, but numbers is what counts. From the people I've talked to, none have contacted their representatives. This is why the hybrid situation is being looked at again - hybrid owners are contacting their representatives in large numbers. We, apparently, are not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic