FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking for Allies to Battle HOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Luddite View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2006 at 3:25pm
Too bad VA Gen Assembly didn't vote to keep hov3 toll-free for the future. Maybe they'll bring it up again some year. My primary problem with riding the bus is that there are usually people on it. (cell phone talkers, insipid conversations, etc.)
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2006 at 3:13pm
I think you need to be retired!

How about a plan to reduce the greenhouse gasses emitted every time you open your mouth to spew out this kind of garbage.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2006 at 1:10pm
Interesting the faulty logic (is it logic if it's flawed?) used by some:

Let's take the least number of vehicles off the road by making the most number of people ride the bus. If one can look at this for a second....might we have 20% of the vehicles carrying 80% of the commuters daily under the current arrangment? If 20% of the commuters are causing 80% of the problem, which percentage would you look to "encourage" to change their commuting efforts?

In some mixed up minds, making 80% of the commuters (carpoolers, slugs and mass transit riders) change their commuting habits to accommodate the 20% (SOV-inclined people) makes sense.

Glad some can look at the real numbers and see the wisdom in encouraging carpooling and slugging.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 2:41pm
Ahhhhh, Great suggestion MDC, where ya been? Geeeesh, coffee really works!

Here's an idea, Let's all meet at NoSUVs house tomorrow morning for a 'carpool intervention.' We can all ride in together and save this poor lost soul while we save some gas, and reduce traffic and pollution. We'll finish the day with a group hug!
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 2:20pm
I suggest putting SOV'ers in busses first.
Galah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Galah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 3:02pm
Sorry, I gotta agree with the folks who say putting slugs on busses will NOT reduce congestion, a slugs is a rider, I think a driver is gonna drive, I did it for 7 years before getting a job near a slug line. Public transportation does NOT WORK for most of the people who are drivers, public transportation increases my commute by 30%. For all you folks with a 15 minute commute, that's not significant.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 2:36pm
Well, As for the slugs, since they don't drive and their cars sit in commuter lots all day, if they rode busses instead of slugging, 0 net difference in traffic.

However, I know that if every SOV driver (hybrids included) got on a bus, the number of cars on the road would decrease.

Here's an idea; let's get EVERYONE off the road. Then the lanes would be smooth sailing for NoSUV. Then you would have to gripe about something else. Geeese! Like a baby in a sand box, NoSUV just wants every toy and every thing just so.

When HOT tolls start hitting NoSUVs pocketbook (just like the rest of us), we will have an ally in opposition, but only because it dosen't suit NoSUV. Typical!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2006 at 2:54pm
I'm going to let someone else knock down your sad first misconception.

As for your second assertion:

The "toll" is already higher than the bus. Round trip gas and parking is more per day than the bus, and SOV driving takes longer, yet people still do it. They don't WANT to take the bus. Those of us who are ready, able, and willing to share rides are also the first people to populate the buses.

The first step most SOV's take is into a vanpool. Later they may move to a carpool or slugging, and then to the bus.

You're having a hard time with this simple logic because it doesn't occur to you that many of us actually ENJOY sharing rides. I, for one, look forward to spending a little time with the nice folks I regularly ride with.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 3:28pm
NoSUV:

Putting slugs on buses changes nothing. Same number of vehicles as now, same commuter-throughput on the system.

SOV's like you getting in carpools or buses reduces the number of vehicles in the system.

Reduce vehicles, increase people. Toll roads encourage the opposite. SOV exemptions on OUR carpool lanes do the opposite.

I rode the bus Monday. I do it all the time, north or south-bound. You?

Share a ride or go away, NoSUV.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2006 at 12:51pm
Slugs on buses opens up more room for hybrids in the HOT/HOV lanes, eh?

Nothing self-serving there, eh?

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
  Share Topic