FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking for Allies to Battle HOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 2:15pm
Umm. Yes. Are you saying I'm fighting only for myself? Well, to mirror your logic...

Of course I am!

I am only interested in preserving MY access to the HOV lanes. I don't care if they charge everyone else. As long as I get to keep the exemption I was personally awarded as a low-mileage invertebrate, what do I care if everyone else has to make way for me?

I want to ride alone in the lanes, and I deserve to because I had the wherewithal to undergo an invertebra-octomy. Anyone else who wants to ride alone need only have the same done to them.

Of course, after everyone has their endo-skeleton removed, my private and personal road might get a little crowded... but I don't really care to think about the future. Just about me, myself, and I.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 1:36pm
yes, sponge, for all of us, it's exemption or toll. And the all includes quite a few under the umbrella: hybrids, motorcycles, and carpools.

Deciding to fight for yourself while at the same time trying to screw someone else just gets everyone wet. As sponges should know.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2006 at 10:03am
Part of me wants to ignore you, NoSUV, and the other part of me refuses to concede any ground to your idiocy.

Obviously, again, you lost the argument, so you've started a different one.

I said nothing about principles. You asked whether I thought the motorcycles would continue to have access to the carpool lanes after the hybrid extension ends.

I pointed out that motorcycle access was driven by the safety issue. So the access will continue since the safety issue will continue. And there is no need to limit motorcycles on the carpool lanes because their numbers are not greatly increasing. Therefore, there is no political pressure (or statistical pressure) to reduce or remove the motorcycles from the carpool lanes.

If, as I suspect, the motorcyclists will lose all access after the toll road take-over, then at least three guys on my cul-de-sac will be spitting mad. Right now, they are blissfully unaware of VDOT's betrayal.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 2:47pm
sponge - so you're saying that it's not the pricipal, it's the numbers?
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 2:29pm
It's not about winning, Sponge. With NoSUV its about whining! Its not about logic, nor reason, nor is it about consideration for anyone else. None of the issues really matter to NoSUV. NoSUV is not affected by any of it. NoSUV does not participate in slugging, nor commute on I95/395, (and will not be affected by the HOT lanes). With NoSUV its about whining! Just whining!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 1:04pm
Yes, duh. The motorcycle exemption does not add significantly to lane crowding, especially during the colder months. Their exemption was driven by the Feds as a safety concern, not by the state as a pseudo-environmental sop. The number of motorcycles as a percentage of vehicles is holding steady, as are their numbers on the HOV lanes, again unlike high-breds.

But several of us clearly heard the fork-tongued toll road corporations state, specifically and in public, that motorcycles and large trucks would not be allowed to access the new toll roads.

The corporations might try and finesse that, but the truth will be known in the end.

Why don't you stop? You almost never win, NoSUV.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:53am
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br] I want the bikers ... of the world.

Bikers didn't get THEIR exemption until '94. Do you think that they will continue to get it when hybrids don't?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 11:12am
The allies will come together in a big way once HOT is implemented and has a huge negative impact on our commutes and budgets. It will be a tidal wave. The problem with organizing opposition ahead of time is we are dealing with a very sophisticated approach, outright legal (non personal) bribery, and the incredible complexity. They didn't want to listen to common sense that you can only get so much water to go through a funnel. This is going to get real interesting.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 10:48am
That's right. And even if all the hybrid owners joined all the slugs and clamored as one in opposition to the toll roads, well, they'd come just the same.

In fact, hybrid owners fighting toll roads in order to extend their personal solo exemption would be MORE likely to hurt our cause: no one is deemed more selfish than the Smugs.

Meanwhile, carpoolers are seen as good-guys/gals -- read Dagwood and Blondie lately?

So I will happily wave goodbye to the Smugs as allies. I want the bikers and the trucking industry and the vanpool operators and the Dagwoods of the world.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2006 at 9:14am
Toll roads won't come based on "attitudes" anymore than the rain will fall because the stock market is rising.

Toll roads WILL come because of that beautiful legislature some talk about (as if they really cared about NOVA commuting) and the politicians' interest in "more green" for their campaign warchests.

Plain and simple, tolls won't be decided based on opinions expressed or quantifiable data...unless you consider the amount of $$s contributed to politicians as "quantifiable data".

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 25>
  Share Topic