Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking for Allies to Battle HOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2004 at 3:52pm
Bob, I've been sincerely thinking about your initial request about seeking allies to battle HOT. I can’t think of a group or person that might be willing to see the light and have enough clout to help. The contractors have a profit motive, so they have an extremely strong desire to see this thru. Spacefan’s idea of a letter writing campaign makes sense, but who do you write to that can make a difference? The look of “yup, this proposal will make me look good to my constituents” and the non-critical stance of the supervisors’ questioning leads me to believe that they’ve already made up their minds and won’t help.

My opinions: I think the EPA is too bureaucratic to help. AAA would probably be in favor of HOT because they are looking out for the motorist foremost and slugs aren’t drivers, so helping out the regular (single) driver will look favorably on AAA. I like your thoughts on the Sierra Club. They might be interested, however, they are really against sprawl which relies on highways. But I’ll write to them anyway to see where they stand on this issue and maybe see the light.

I’m not sure why these HOT threads aren’t as active as the others. We both know that if HOT is implemented, slugging as we know it, goes away. Could it be that others know something that we don’t, as in “are you making something out of nothing”, or that “HOT will eventually become a moot point and die?”

Goober
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2004 at 7:33pm
Goober,

Thanks for airing your thoughts on this. I am just dumbfounded that no major group has come out against HOT. I think they just have not really thought things through yet to understand the difference between the Beltway proposal and the 95 proposal in terms of ending HOV on 95. Also that our region will be a "guinea pig" for this thing. If anyone has contact with these groups, please send me a note on this and I will write them.

Bob
shirons View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 3:42pm
Is there a consolidated effort to fight HOT lanes in Northern Virginia? Besides the Hot Lane section and message board of this website is there an organized group of commuters making their voices heard in an structured way with local and federal government officials.

If we (those against Hot Lanes) simply rely on our colleagues here on the message board to author letters and attend meetings to fight the fast moving proposals their going to be slammed on our roads before you can blink an eye.

Remember a majority of the folks giving the green light to Hot lane proposals rarely commute to DC or even sit in the congested traffic. Most of our locally elected officials are either retired professionally or work in the local jurisdiction they represent. In Prince William County only 3 of the 8 members of the Board of Supervisors regularly commute outside of PWC for work (and at least two of them typically do the commute at non-peak hours) and only one member of the state delegation from PWC to the General Assembly works north of PWC.

The way they see it is “I ran on making traffic better for my constituents and hey these Hot Lane proposals sound like a pretty good deal.” If they don’t hear a vociferous opposition they’ll say “yes” and have the campaign material spouting “Providing Transportation Solutions” as fast as they can.

What needs to happen is we, commuters, need to organize in numbers, and aggressively recruit as many folks as we can. Do write the letters to the electeds, start letters-to-the-editor campaigns and make sure there are a number of people who are willing to attend and speak at meetings in all of the jurisdictions that Hot Lane proposals will have to go through. All this combined with finding partners, whether it be environmental groups or other to speak out against the proposals.

Opposition can’t be limited to one jurisdiction's Board of Supervisors’ chamber (i.e. PWC), it will have to be made in all local jurisdictions' chambers as well as Council of Governments, state legislative delegations and federal legislative delegations.

I’d be willing to do what I can to help organize and work against. As a former candidate for a local Board of Supervisors I have a number of contacts and relationships that could be useful.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2004 at 5:09pm
shirons (Scott Hirons I gather from your profile), you apparently know what is required to get this going. Obviously, the people on this forum don't quite get the point that this slugging system will go away if nothing is done now.

Thanks for your initiative. If you can help, it will undoubtedly help your future campaigns... but I hope you will do this for the right reason.

Goober
shirons View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 1:30pm
I only want to help because I don't see Hot Lanes as a very good solution to an already bad transportation system. I agree with the other posters who say it's going to end slugging and add time to everyone's commute.

I have, since last year's election, moved out of the jurisdiction where I ran for office. I've moved to Stafford County and would be starting from ground zero with regards to any political aspirations. If I ever do give it a shot again it'll be quite some time.

I just want to offer my help to this effort with the skills and knowledge I did learn in politics.
jlcnole View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlcnole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 9:05am
Delegate Michelle McQuigg (51st District representative to the Virginia House of Delegates) has a pre-legistlative session survey on her website asking about HOT Lanes (and a bunch of other topics). If anyone is interested in making their view known, here is the link: http://www.digital-wise.com/51/pre05surv.cfm
jlcnole View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlcnole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 9:07am
Sorry - forgot to mention she wants responses by 12/17!

quote:
Originally posted by jlcnole
[br]Delegate Michelle McQuigg (51st District representative to the Virginia House of Delegates) has a pre-legistlative session survey on her website asking about HOT Lanes (and a bunch of other topics). If anyone is interested in making their view known, here is the link: http://www.digital-wise.com/51/pre05surv.cfm

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 1:35pm
I did a google search and found this Sept 2003 "anti HOT" article from Sierra Club. I dont know what their most recent position is, but this is what I am talking about with potential allies.
Bob

http://www.sierraclub.org/dc/sprawl/HOT_OpEd.htm
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 1:42pm
Great article. We need this guy on our Anti-HOT side.
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2004 at 3:40pm
Dear Sweet Libby,

Thanks for your efforts in getting the higher ups informed about HOV, slugging, and how hybrids are making matters worse. However, I think something more insidious than clean fuel vehicles are HOT lanes. Those pesky hybrids seem to be fouling things up but they can't make slugging go away. HOT lanes can make slugging go away forever. Can I ask that you join in the cause against HOT Lanes?

Goober
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 25>
  Share Topic