Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > HOT Lanes Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking for Allies to Battle HOT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 2:15pm
Umm. Yes. Are you saying I'm fighting only for myself? Well, to mirror your logic...

Of course I am!

I am only interested in preserving MY access to the HOV lanes. I don't care if they charge everyone else. As long as I get to keep the exemption I was personally awarded as a low-mileage invertebrate, what do I care if everyone else has to make way for me?

I want to ride alone in the lanes, and I deserve to because I had the wherewithal to undergo an invertebra-octomy. Anyone else who wants to ride alone need only have the same done to them.

Of course, after everyone has their endo-skeleton removed, my private and personal road might get a little crowded... but I don't really care to think about the future. Just about me, myself, and I.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 3:07pm
Did the HOT-shots see this posting from "CallmeMrSlug" on the Slug-Lines.com News Articles page morning?

As long as sluDgE's car pool doesn't have to pay to use them, we're not opposed to (or remain neutral on) the proposed toll lanes.

From "CallmeMrSlug":
From today's Washington Post:
Firms Get Funds to Study HOT Lanes
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine (D) announced yesterday that two private companies will jointly receive a $10 million interest-free loan from a state agency to begin drawing up plans for high-occupancy toll, or HOT, lanes on Interstates 95 and 395.

The money, drawn from a state fund promoting public-private collaboration for transportation improvements, will be split by Fluor Virginia Inc. and Transurban (USA) Development Inc., to do preliminary environmental and engineering studies.

"This loan will accelerate critical planning activities to promote transit and carpooling in the I-95 and I-395 corridors," Kaine said, adding that it will ensure that high-occupancy lanes move swiftly at all times.

Single drivers would be allowed to pay to use the toll lanes, which would be free for carpoolers, buses and emergency vehicles.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2006 at 4:15pm
SluDge, you better wake up buddy.

The remote-monitoring and tolling system Fluor/Transurban uses has no, repeat NO, means of determining the number of people in a vehicle.

There is NO WAY for them to distinguish between your carpool and NoSUV's solo-driving hybrid.

The toll booth will charge his checking account as he drives under it, and it will charge yours, too, because it cannot tell if you are a carpool or not.

You WILL have to pay. They know it, but are hoping to muddy the waters until it is too late.

There are other reasons for your carpool to oppose toll roads, but I've gone on at length about them on other threads and everyone is bored with me.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 8:38am
Sponge,
I appreciate your HOT skepticism. But everything I've seen from the Commonwealth and in the media says HOT roads will not charge car pools. Haven't seen anything from a Commonwealth official or agency that says anything different.

I agree that HOT has received only minimum media coverage, and the reports are that car pools will use HOT for free. If that's NOT the case, a good reporter should be on that like stink on doo-doo.

If you have a document or something from the Commonwealth that describes exactly how they plan HOT to work for both toll payers and car pools, please point us to it. Here's what VDOT has posted at their HOT FAQ page as their official car pool position:

"HOV 3+ rides free - Everyone will ride free within a large truck-free environment unless they choose to ride with only one or two persons in a vehicle, which will require a toll that varies with the level of congestion and distance traveled. All electronic toll collection system - Using Smart Tags or an E-Zpass administered by Transurban, an experienced developer and operator of efficient and customer-friendly tolling systems, will allow use without the need for toll booths."
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 9:26am
The obvious point here is that they never explain how they are going to do this, while they have simultaneously been quoted in the Post saying the real trick will be limiting carpools to ensure enough space for paying customers.

This is a 30+ mile long, remotely managed, multiple-exit/entrance, high-speed multiple tolling point facility they are proposing. Ever heard of one like it? No, because this will be the most complex variable toll highway on earth. Really.

The key issue is that there is no technology available that can distinguish between a vehicle carrying three people and one carrying only two. This is not my opinion, but the stated opinion of Dr. Bruce Smith of UVA who was on the panel that approved this unsolicited proposal. I can forward you the email in which he stated it, or you can find it in one of my previous posts. Search for "manual process."

If the highway is going to be remotely managed...
and if you cannot tell how many people are in each car...
and if every car on the facility is required to have a Smarttag...

Then how are you going to charge an SOV and not charge an HOV?

You can't tell the difference remotely! You HAVE to charge both, or you HAVE to put lots of enforcers with eyeballs at most, if not all, of the tolling points (remember, there will be lots of gantries, not one or two.) And that is NOT in the plans.

SluDge, this is just one of many objections lots of people have listed here.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 10:05am
A partial list:

No idea what tolls will be. Secret negotiations.
Most complex proposed system in the country with no analog.
No idea how multiple entry and exit points will impact traffic in HOV or regular lanes.
Secret negotiations on items such as "noncompete" clauses restricting the building of other roads in region.
Enforcement issues; difficulty of and great likelihood of harrassing carpools; computer generated tickets sent erroneously
Possibility that the entire thing will fail financially and state will have to bail it out.
Increased inequity between haves and have-nots.
Safety issues with narrow lanes and no shoulders.
Massive bottleneck at Pentagon.
60 year --- 60 YEAR committment.
No guarantee that HOV stays free if project fails.
Want about 50 more?

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2006 at 1:40pm
Here's a few:

Promotes affluent exurban sprawl,
Promotes SOV commuting,
Promotes dependence on fossil fuel,
PUTS vehicles on the road, increasing traffic congestion,
Creates short-term pollution: construction materials, construction traffic, traffic delays
Creates long-term pollution: increase in SOV-toll vehicles,
Takes money out of the local economy (tolls go into the HOT lane contractor's pocket),
Lost local revenue = reduced sales tax revenues,
Creates an economic-based commuter class structure,
Socio-economic and geographic discrimination,
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 9:49am
I'll ride the bus when you do!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 10:17am
Now THAT makes perfect sense, NoSUV. Slugging causes congestion and tolls reduce it.

Encouraging more solo driving is good, right? More cars on the highways is good, right?

Carpooling (which is exactly what slugging is) creates congestion. Brilliant~!

You are a genius. Please, tell us more!

(Oh, and are you completely unaware that Omniride is a bus service that does exactly what you claim Metro can't? It is $3.80 per ride, and the buses run near capacity S-Bound.)
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2006 at 10:33am
There is a critical point that some don't realize (but then the admission of slug-bashing is already out there, I'm only raising this for others to consider)...right now there is DISTRIBUTED congestion in the commuter lots.

Tolls will CONCENTRATE the congestion at the toll booths, but not only the toll booths. Entry and exit points will become CONGESTED due to transitions between toll and non-toll roads. Doesn't even matter if they can discern differences between HOV and HOT, it is all going to result in MORE congestion at various points by CONCENTRATING the congestion.

I'm sure there's some really smart process flow folks who can illustrate this with flow charts and quantitative data, but common sense (which slug-bashers self-admittedly throw out the window) reveals sufficient insight into this aspect of the ever-changing commuting scene.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 25>
  Share Topic