Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rt. 17 and Rt. 3 Slug lines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rt. 17 and Rt. 3 Slug lines
    Posted: 06 Jun 2002 at 8:27am
I'd like to start a dialogue concerning the slug lines at Rt. 17 and Rt. 3...although I'm glad that Rt. 3 is off to a great start, it has certainly had some effect upon the Rt. 17 slug line. Just this morning, I arrived at my usual time and to my delight had no waiting as there were a slew of cars waiting for slugs. However, none of them were going to my location and I was able to stand around and make the observation that there is a noticable drop in slug riders (the rider line between 6 and 6:30am was never longer than 7 people long and it is usually at least twice that). I would just like to ask people to sound off about what they have found to be more convenient and why just to satisfy my own curiosity (and perhaps that of others), and determine for myself if this will be a long or short-term trend.

On the flip side, last night at the slug line at the Pentagon, the rider line was very long, while the Rt. 3 line was very short (I never saw more than 2 people at any one time). However, there was a steady stream of cars arriving to pick up people for Rt. 3, whereas the Rt. 17 line didn't seem to have as frequent activity. So we have opposite trends occurring depending on the time of day which is confusing to me. Therefore, I invite others to sound off here and tell everyone your opinions and intentions regarding Rt. 17 or Rt. 3.

I'll begin by saying that I still intend to use Rt. 17 because it is closer to my house than Rt. 3. Although the trip to get to Rt. 3 would go against the flow of traffic, it doesn't appeal to me to go so far off the beaten path from I-95 to catch a ride at Rt. 3 compared to Rt. 17.

Thanks.

Kevin O.
Par View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Par Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2002 at 7:59am
I also intend to stay at Rt. 17 for the same reason. Interestly, though, I had the opposite experience at the Pentagon this week. I arrive there around 5:00pm and each day this week I saw no one in the Rt. 3 line during the approx. 10 mins. I stood there (Route 17 had 25-30 people and the cars came at a pretty good clip).

Just a note: I've slugged for years out of various lots (one yr. at Rt. 17) and the one element that is constant is that every year around this time, everything slacks off because of vacations, and every year we noticed a big jump in activity the day after Labor Day. Just something to keep in mind. I think it is way too early to assess the impact of Rt. 3 on Rt. 17. My guess is that Rt. 17 will not suffer. I've talked to various people who live south of Rt. 3 and prefer the 17 line because it is quicker access to I95. Also, houses are being built and sold down Rt. 17. I for one am not going to backtrack to Rt. 3 and I see no indication thus far that it will be necessary.
Now, I must say that I am one of those people that will not wait for a ride to a specific destination (I work at L'Enfant Plaza). If by the time I get to the front of the line, the next car is Pentagon or 14th Street, I'll take either destination and hop the Metro. Waiting a 1/2 hour or so for that "maybe" L'Enfant driver to come along or to go down to Rt. 3 for me , is a waste of time and far more trouble. My point being is that for those people who feel the same way, I have not seen a problem at Rt. 17 this week. If you are waiting for that specific ride, and it is not a common one like the Pentagon, that scenario is only going to happen at large lots (like Horner Rd.). Anyway, just some thoughts that hopefully will make you feel better.

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2002 at 9:46am
I echo Par's remarks. I have also noticed the drop in activity during the summer months. The whole idea behind the slugging is to save travel time and get you to where you need to go, however, for those who insist upon a specific destination, the law of averages are not in your favor. I hate to see the attitude flourish that if you can't get a ride to a particular place, something is wrong with the system. The system has worked great for years in No. Va. It works for the masses, but nothing works for everyone all the time. People must be willing to be flexible and let go of the attitude that you must go to a specific place and will not transfer onto a Metro, etc. or else the system doesn't work. It does work for many, many people. Also, Rt. 3 WILL be convenient for many who have to pass by the two stops. Rt. 17 won't suffer. There are plenty of people coming from areas where Rt. 17 will be more convenient than Rt. 3 and the other way around. Anyone wanting to start a slug line should not have to worry about the impact on another line - it generally all works out, but if it doesn't, SOME people are simply going to have to adapt to what attracts the most people

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2002 at 8:17am
Thanks for your comments...I'm the same way in fact...I too go to L'Enfant, but do not insist on waiting for that destination (out of fear that I would still be there come 8am)...I use a more interesting system...once I reach a point in line where I am able to take a Pentagon ride, I let 3-5 cars go as a countdown to the point in which I will finally give in and take a ride to the Pentagon instead of L'Enfant. I thrive on flexibility, but I really really really hate the new arrangement at Pentagon because, as you well know, if you walk to the metro, you have to contend with all the Pentagon employees that take up the entire sidewalk and exhibit the courtesy and grace as a herd of bulls. The architect for that new bus stop needs to be flogged...whoever it was did a poor job of calculating the need for sidewalk space.

Kevin O.
mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2002 at 9:53pm
Sorry RT 17, my wife and I used to pick up there in the morning till she help get things moving here at RT 3. Rt.17 wasn't bad, just getting on and off 95 was the problem.

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2002 at 7:44am
Kortegel: Hear! Hear! In the morning, the Pentagon employees take up the majority of the walk way on their way to the building, and in the evening they do the same; leaving the rest of us with barely a single line to dodge in and out of the entire way down the platform!

Carla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2002 at 4:00pm
I am also staying with 17. Aside from the fact I live on 17 the location of the Rt 3 lot is to far off the beaten path.

Carla
MarkJ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2002 at 2:52pm
What has been the experience so far at 3? I went by yesterday morning a couple of minutes after 7:00, and there was no one there (neither drivers nor riders). I'm guessing that the crowds go in waves, like at 17. What appear to be the best times for the new lot?

curtisdt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2002 at 3:05pm
I went by this AM around 6:30 and saw the same thing. I won't be back. It was much further out of the way than I thgought as well.

quote:

What has been the experience so far at 3? I went by yesterday morning a couple of minutes after 7:00, and there was no one there (neither drivers nor riders). I'm guessing that the crowds go in waves, like at 17. What appear to be the best times for the new lot?

Don
dambam View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dambam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2002 at 7:48am
Picking up at 7:00...I'm already at work and have eaten my Pop-Tart by then. I pick up around 5:20 and have had no problem in the mornings. In the evenings, I'm at the Pentagon around 4:00 and the longest I've had to wait is 5 minutes. I guess the early bird does catch the slug!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic