Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Fragrances Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarziera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Fragrances Please
    Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 9:36am
I am fairly new at the slug game but I think it is a wonderful system. I always drive, for several reasons, but enjoy most of the people who ride with me. They are polite and quiet, though some snore. I have only one complaint--PERFUMES AND FRAGRANCES. While I appreciate riding with clean people, I am about ready to put a sign in the window that says "FRAGRANCE FREE RIDERS ONLY". I'm not talking about soap and hairspray-- I'm talking about the many perfumes and after shaves in which some of my passengers seem to bathe. I am allergic to many fragrances and a some have actually triggered asthmatic reactions. Allergies not withstanding, 6:00 a.m. is just too early to for heavy smells (even good ones). It literally makes me sick sometimes. I don't want to be rude and I realize I need to be as tolerant as possible but this is something I really need some advice on. Any suggestions from you experienced types.
"Gasping for air"
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 9:45am
If you're allergic, I don't see anything wrong with making a sign that says what you suggested - Fragrance-Free Riders Only. It may cause a couple of comments from the line, but you have to do what you have to do.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 9:47am
I know where you are coming from. The rider I had this morning had so much perfume on I thought I was going to be sick the entire way to the Pentagon. It was terrible
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 11:11am
quote:
Originally posted by tarziera
[br]I am fairly new at the slug game but I think it is a wonderful system. I always drive, for several reasons, but enjoy most of the people who ride with me. They are polite and quiet, though some snore. I have only one complaint--PERFUMES AND FRAGRANCES. While I appreciate riding with clean people, I am about ready to put a sign in the window that says "FRAGRANCE FREE RIDERS ONLY". I'm not talking about soap and hairspray-- I'm talking about the many perfumes and after shaves in which some of my passengers seem to bathe. I am allergic to many fragrances and a some have actually triggered asthmatic reactions. Allergies not withstanding, 6:00 a.m. is just too early to for heavy smells (even good ones). It literally makes me sick sometimes. I don't want to be rude and I realize I need to be as tolerant as possible but this is something I really need some advice on. Any suggestions from you experienced types.
"Gasping for air"

Ah... the trials & tribulations of the va slug line...

I think that a sign would be the polite/PC thing to do. You could make up a sign that says:

Sorry-Allergies
Fragrance Free & Non-Smoking Riders Only

Who can blame you for having allergies?

Keep us posted!

Live Long and Prosper
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 12:20pm
well, most people who wear the stuff wouldn't be aware that it was overpowering, or even AGREE with you on the subject.

to be frank and honest. People that have too many "please don'ts" for slugs shouldn't be drivers. It's bad enough we have to get into cars of varying quality, put up with the driver's sense of "good music", listen to drivers talk on their cell phones for the entire trip, with one hand on the wheel and going 85...

now I have to worry about whether my cologne is acceptable???

Just stop driving! please!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 12:29pm
"People that have too many "please don'ts" for slugs shouldn't be drivers." - gorc, 4 Nov 04

Amen! gorc is a person with deep and true wisdom.
God bless gorc! [;)]
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 4:08pm
Sorry, but the excessive fragrance issue goes beyond the driver. I'm sure such an aromatic individual is going to be just as offensive to the fellow slugs as they are to the driver, and the aroma is going to linger for some time in the vehicle.

Drivers should be able to establish some guidelines for their vehicle, particularly if the problem could become life-threatening. Gorc, maybe it's time you start driving. Have a go in the other person's shoes, or in this case, seat. After a few go-rounds with riders exhibiting annoying qualities, you might acquire a different perspective.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2004 at 4:13pm
Gorc,
I am a very good driver for my slugs. I don't keep my car too cold or too hot. I make sure my car is clean. I don't keep my radio too loud, it doesn't bother me if someone gets a phone call. I even had my back light turned on last night because the person in the back seat was trying to read. Just because a person this morning had too much perfume on and it was making me sick does not mean that I shouldn't be a driver. I have been driving in for about 10 years and I really don't have ANY rules. Maybe you are being too critical of the drivers. Just a thought
waterelf View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterelf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 8:57am
I also have ridden with people (drivers and other slugs alike) who wear way too much scent. It's just as bad as the ones who get in smelling like they've been rolling in the pig pen.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2004 at 9:21am
Just because I COULD NOT contain myself when seeing that Uhura is actually recommending a "polite/PC thing to do."

>>Sorry-Allergies
>>Fragrance Free & Non-Smoking Riders Only

I would have expected something more along the lines of:

** No wenches who stink **

Again, I just couldn't contain myself.

ScarletLSG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic