Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SaltyDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 10:58am
Someone might also mention that cars are required by law to have seat belts in the back of a length to accomodate passengers of less than 215 lbs. So some back seat belts won't fit, especially if you are packing a lot up front or when wearing winter coats. Hondas are really bad about this, as are a lot of imports.

I recently had a gentleman inform me I would no longer be allowed to ride in his car because I could not snap the seatbelt in the back. Obviously he never had learned that the law only covers the front seat.

Of course, if the belt will stretch, you should always use it, front or back! As for the child safety feature, I've never minded having to be let out, it's a minor convenience for getting home faster....
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2004 at 11:45am
quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]Why Uhura? The lever can't be reached when the door is closed. You must open the door from the outside, then the lever is exposed on the side of the door. Since I haven't seen every model of every make, I didn't make an absolute statement.

I found out that this particular vehicle doesn't have child afety locks:
http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2000/vmd712ft.html

Anyway, I don't care that I had to scoot over to get out. I mentioned it, along w/the AC isue to drive the point home that this person was driving a vehicle that was getting pretty close to junker status.

+ You are getting far away from the main point: There should have been functioning seat belts in the vehicle. Care to argue with that-or were you just looking to start an argument period?

Live Long and Prosper
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by SaltyDog
[br]

I recently had a gentleman inform me I would no longer be allowed to ride in his car because I could not snap the seatbelt in the back. Obviously he never had learned that the law only covers the front seat.

Law or no law, in my car, everyone buckles up. I have never had anyone refuse. If someone does, I'll simply pull over to the side of the road and sit there for as long as it takes. If I have an accident, I wouldn't want the front seat passenger to play sandwich with my airbags and the rear seat person slamming into them.
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 10:04am
Why wouldn't you want to put your seatbelt on in the back seat?
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 11:02am
I think I would've been just as concerned in the actions of the driven, pulling over to check for a bottle, and freaking over a pocket book, as much as the broken door and seatbelt. I believe seatbelts should be worn in the front seat, and optional in the back, but in the same respect, available and functional for the rider, for them to make the choice.

:'}
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 12:24pm
Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 1:28pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Wow, Just seems to me people in the NOVA/DC area can always find something to complain about. With slugging comes risks as everything in life. Why, why, why complain? Safety Issue or not. As there are hundreds of thousands of people in the area and counting - there are just as many ways to do things. Ones who complain about smells, trash, or seatbelts not working in cars really need to start driving themselves or taking the bus. Maybe you could sue the bus company for seatbelts not working. But this is an all volunteer slugging system. Slugging is a great way to commute. Quit your b!tching.

"B!tching"-about not having the option to wear a seatbelt? You can't possibly be serious. BAZ-Since you are clearly unfamiliar with the laws of physics in this universe, you may do well to visit this URL: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt.htm

Trust me-it's explained in EXTREMELY simple terms.

Happy Reading!

Live Long and Prosper
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 1:38pm
Pretty boring web site. But Im sure you could print it out and give it to the people while you SAFELY ride on the bus. Try being a little less "I want everyone to be like me" and live a little. Havent you ever "borrowed" a towel from a hotel? Walked when the sign says Don't Walk? Try taking a walk on the wild side. If you think because you wrote a little note about this persons seat belt not working is going to make them run to the Exxon and get it fixed - youre sadly mistaken.

Forget Horner Road - Take the bus. (They have working seatbelts)
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:26pm
Sounds like Baz has a stick up his A$$. So what part of the world are you from, since you think that you are so high and mighty to judge the NOVA/DC people?

:'}
Uhura View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uhura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2004 at 2:31pm
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]Pretty boring web site. But Im sure you could print it out and give it to the people while you SAFELY ride on the bus. Try being a little less "I want everyone to be like me" and live a little. Havent you ever "borrowed" a towel from a hotel? Walked when the sign says Don't Walk? Try taking a walk on the wild side. If you think because you wrote a little note about this persons seat belt not working is going to make them run to the Exxon and get it fixed - youre sadly mistaken.

Forget Horner Road - Take the bus. (They have working seatbelts)

Facts about preventing death in a motor vehicle are boring? Wow.

Yes-I walk on the wild side occasionally; however, I do have allot to live for, so I avoid riding in a vehicle where I cannot wear a seat belt if I can.

The point of my "little note" was to warn others not to get her to make repairs. She probably isn't going to fix it, & that's the point. Homegirl kept quiet about the seat belt so I couldn't change my mind about riding with her. If I had known prior to departure-believe me-I would have left her vehicle and got into the next one (as I am sure many riders would have done...)

Sorry, Baz. I'll continue slugging AND I'll continue to have reasonable expectations about safety and courtesy. Functioning seat belts are definitely on the list of what is reasonable.

Live Long and Prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic