Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please AVOID This One-BIG SAFETY ISSUE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 11:37am
In Maryland and the District of Columbia, the seat belt law is a primary offense; in Virginia, it is a secondary offense.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 12:26pm
A primary offense to get pulled over by police to not have your seatbelt on in the back seat??
JDivine View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDivine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2004 at 2:49pm
I don't think so. What I found did not specify, but I believe the offense refers to front seat belts only. I would think the "plain view" rule would apply here, and I think an officer would be hard-pressed to argue that the back seat of a vehicle is in "plain view" while driving along at 65 mph even with a partner. We need a traffic cop from each jurisdiction to respond.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2004 at 9:56am
quote:
Originally posted by Baz
[br]A primary offense to get pulled over by police to not have your seatbelt on in the back seat??

In DC, it is indeed, at least for the front seat--the cops sometimes set up "seatbelt checkpoints" (similar to sobriety checkpoints, without all the flashing lights and roadblocks) and pull people over. I've seen it happen on Connecticut Avenue between K and L. I don't know if DC has a law on back-seat passengers

In Virginia it emphatically is not a primary offense--check the statutes I posted previously (I omitted that portion as irrelevant). There is NO law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts in Virginia.
tlschau View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlschau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2004 at 2:01pm
quote:
Originally posted by USA
[br]
Originally posted by Baz
In Virginia it emphatically is not a primary offense--check the statutes I posted previously (I omitted that portion as irrelevant). There is NO law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts in Virginia.

This is correct, there is no Virginia law requiring adult rear-seat passengers to wear seatbelts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic