Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids - Love'em or hate'em

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 10:40pm
quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]
Ok, your car is cleaner. But there are still regular cars that aren't that much different than yours in terms of emissions. But most of the other hybrids sold here are a joke in terms of "clean" emissions.

No, that's not true. the mileage I'm getting is typical of Prius (and I presume Honda) owners. I go to a Yahoo message board for Prius owners. I'm pretty much right in the middle.

It's not CLEANER, per se. but I use a lot less gas than most vehicles out there, which makes it cleaner in terms of emissions.

I'm not knocking your mileage. It may not be exactly what the EPA says, but it is still good. I'm just saying that high mileage doesn't automatically mean cleanest emissions. While using less gas is good, it doesn't help air quality around here when the emissions aren't that much better(Prius) or actually worse(Civic hybrid and Insight) than a lot of other regular cars.
Higher mileage does reduce carbon dioxide emissions, but that isn't a regulated pollutant and isn't a local air pollution issue.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 10:03am
We all agree that hybrids are the way of the future and the incentives to purchase new technology (tax break/HOV access) has made this area a haven for hybrids. It's time to allow ALL the exemptions to the HOV (Edsall Road, hybrids, off duty police, etc.) to end, and to modify the times. Keep the HOV flowing and at the same time find a solution to the traffic through a more efficient and affordable train/bus system.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 12:45pm
Edsall Road [?] How does Edsall Road traffic impact HOV?
The morning entrance to HOV just north of Edsall Road is little used, and the afternoon Edsall exit from HOV has no back-up.

Or do you mean the Turkey Run afternoon HOV entrance from the regular lanes that allows Springfield-Burke residents to use the Old Keene Mill Rd (Va 644) or Backlick Rd HOV exits to avoid the multi-lane crossing danger at the mixing bowl from the regular lanes? My understanding is the Turkey Run HOV entrance will be closed once the dedicated Springfield exit ramp that involves no mixing bowl multi-lane crossings from the non-HOV lanes is completed.

Keep on sluggin' [:)]
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 1:26pm
That is hop on right after Edsall Road Exit.... I believe they said they were allowing regular traffic onto HOV at the 14th St. Bridge to facilitate traffic flow during repairs to the bridge. Have they changed it back? Just like exemptions, once the powers that be are too comfortable with something, it's hard to get them to change without a "little" nudging from their constituents.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 3:51pm
VA4ver,

So you do mean the Turkey Run HOV entrance. I hear that "hop-on" to the HOV lanes is supposed to be closed to single drivers once the dedicated Springfield-Franconia exit to VA 644 is completed.

Be patient, and you will not have legal single Springfield drivers jumping on at Turkey Run any longer. That should make those next two HOV exits HOV-3 only -- and it will no longer be legal for single drivers to jump on HOV lanes at Turkey Run to use the Old Keene Mill and Backlick Rd HOV exits. I suppose if the Turkey Run HOV "hop-on" remains open it will be for legal HOV-3 users only.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 4:08am
What part does the road play in pollution? Traffic engineers try to minimize idling time as the holy grail of pollution reduction. The real pollution comes from acceleration/decleration cycles. Changing speed is a larger contributor to pollution than idling.

Operating a road at capacity rather than free flow guarantees stop and go traffic as well as one day in 20 of unpredictable travel time.

What does it take to get roads operating free flow rather than capacity.

This may be a difficult question for the area that defined blivets and reverse blivets.

A blivet is trying to put five pounds of stuff in a three pound bag. A blivet is trying to put 3,100 cars per hour per lane with drivers that need two second spacing or they run into each other.

A reverse blivet is trying to fill a five pound bag with three pounds. A car may have five seats but is considered full with three people on the reversible lanes. That same car may be considered full with one person on the regular lanes. With esixting occupancy trend, a car may be full with 0.8 people. Some drivers will be required to tow an empty car to keep the car count up. ;-P

dickboyd@aol.com
LJD View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 1:07pm
I'm a former regular slug rider (4yr from Horner!), now sometimes slug driver (17/610). There seems to be some discussion of "free flow" vs. "at capacity" on this board wrt HOT lanes and Hybrids. How about using the industry terminology of Level of Service? A-G, where A is an open road, E is a roadway at capacity, F is stop and go, and G is so choked that traffic hours are extended. You can't talk free-flow to the traffic engineers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic