Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A SlugPoll: What's it worth to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 1:55pm
Ah, Bob... hmm. I hadn't foreseen that "Free Ride!" option. Very clever. Very clever indeed! That could very well be what happens.

But I had reason for posing this question. I'm just wondering how we can save slugging, and the HOV, when the toll road is built? If we're going to have to pay to use the HOV lanes, I'm wondering exacly how much people are willing to pay.

It's a missing piece of the HOT puzzle. What's it really worth?
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 4:01pm
SpongeBob, are you considering coming home in addition to going to work? If not, with the pay theory, the cost would probably double, so that should certainly be taken into consideration. To answer your question, I would be willing to pay $2-$3 one way.
610staffordslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610staffordslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 8:35am
I believe the main reason people slug is that it is free. If people are willing to pay $2 and $3 dollars per way everyday, why don't they join an organized carpool or vanpool. If you couldn't tell already, I would be unwilling to pay anything for slugging.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 10:56am
SpongeBob is evidently anticipating a worst case where Virginia or the HOT lanes operators charge all vehicles to use what we now call the free I-95 & I-395 HOV lanes. That would be a worst case scenario -- but info I've seen is that cars that comply with HOV rules (of at least 3 persons per car during HOV restricted hours) won't have to pay. Is there new info on this? Keep sluggin' as it is -- and keep on sluggin' ! [:)]
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 1:54pm
Pay for slugging....never happen. Its the drivers responsibility and I agree with Sludge about a worst case event with the HOT lanes. I dont think the sky is falling just yet......
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 2:35pm
SpongeBob's at it again with getting us thinking about the HOT. :) I only slug because it is free, or otherwise I'd take the VRE then perhaps the OMNI. I'd much rather support public transportation than private companies like FLUOR even if it means taking longer to get to/from work.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2004 at 4:58pm
Not much data so far. Over 200 readers, but only 15 replies. I suppose the rest voted with their mouses that they wouldn't pay a bleepin' red cent.

Yes, I'm at it again, and when the sky falls, why, I'll be no flatter than the dish sponge I already am.

I'm worried Admin's going to throw this discussion into the HOT box, where all good things go to die. Save it here, in public, until it dies a natural death, please Admin!
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 12:27pm
1. What is the dollar value of being able to slug? Ironically, no value, but it's priceless. I would not pay a dime to ride as a slug because of the mutual benefit principle. It's priceless (that is, I couldn't pay for it even if I tried), because it counters everything your mother taught you about picking up/riding with strangers, yet it works beautifully.

2. What is the dollar value of being able to drive on the HOV with slugs? This presumes that car poolers will have to pay, which might be inevitable. If I really needed my car for the day, then I'd be willing to pay whatever the going toll rate demanded.

If there is a toll on using the HOV, would you ask slugs to pay a portion of it? Absolutely not. I drive because I really need to, so I'd be willing to pay the lower toll charge vs. driving alone at a higher toll charge.

How much, presuming a $5 toll? If you're suggesting that a car with 3 pays $5, then a single driver pays at least $15? This could happen and with even higher prices if they dynamically change the toll based on usage, which I believe is in at least one of the proposals. I would not ask for payment from slugs, again, $5 is worth having my car available to me but if the tolls are outrageous, I might have to catch the bus [:)]

Sponge, thanks for making us ponder over what might happen when toll roads are built.

Goober
kgirl View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 12:31pm
So, when in the world is there ever going to be a decision about this? I presume we have years to discuss the HOT lanes before any one ever makes an official plan.
and no Sponge, not a dime.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2004 at 3:49pm
kgirl, Fluor's plan as submitted to VDOT includes a timeline that shows them starting to lay pavement and build toll booths on Shirley Highway beginning in January, 2006. About a year away. Are you ready?

As for "worst case scenarios," how's this: Fluor's proposal and its presentations to county boards have been conspicuously silent on how a toll booth will be able to count the number of people in the vehicle... funny how that detail gets left out of their proposals, hmm?

It is not included because no Smarttag booth can do it. And if the booth can't count the number of people, how can it reduce the toll for that vehicle? It can't. So the whole premise implied by the "HO" in "HOT" lanes is a farce. HOV's will have to pay a toll and it will be the same toll as every other car. The vehicles won't be High-Occupancy, the lanes sure as heck will be, though!

Please, someone, anyone-- prove me wrong! The sky is getting lower every day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic