Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A SlugPoll: What's it worth to you?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A SlugPoll: What's it worth to you?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 11:50am
Please answer briefly to help us compile a little data about slugging:

1. What is the dollar value of being able to slug?
In other words, if you had to pay to ride, how much would you be willing to hand over, in cash, to a driver? This is presuming that the HOV lanes are still working!

2. What is the dollar value of being able to drive on the HOV with slugs?
If there is a toll on using the HOV, would you ask slugs to pay a portion of it? How much, presuming a $5 toll?

Thanks everyone!!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 12:11pm
Slugging is worth just a few minutes of my personal time (not that valuable) and usually a hassle-free drive (or ride) to and from work. I wouldn't pay $ to a driver or accept money from slugs. I see it as a free mutual benefit for both. [:I]
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 12:29pm
Of course no one WANTS to pay. I'm not advocating a change in the current system, God forbid! But if you HAD to, because the driver has to pay a toll, how much would it be worth to you? In other words, would you give up the HOV lanes altogether rather than fork over a dollar (or two or three or five) to a driver?
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 12:30pm
I'd pay, in theory, something in the area of a nominal fee - maybe a buck. Unfortunately, $2 or $3 or even $5 each direction each day would add up waaaaay too fast.

Eric
PM to Rosslyn
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 12:32pm
Heres how I'd break it down for an average commute to DC from say, woodbridge, VA

Driving:
Lets say gas is 1.80 per gallon and your car gets the US Average 25MPG's. DC is 25 miles from Woodbridge, so thats $3.60 per day in Gas. Ill even give the benefit of free parking. Wear and tear on vehicle. AAA says 5.8 cents or so per mile it costs in wear and tear(IE oil change, tires, repairs, depreciation). thats another $2.90 per day. Time: Cant put dollar amount on this, but im sure stress free falls in the priceless category. Average is about 30-40 minutes from Woodbridge during rush hour in HOV vs 1hour and 15 minutes. Thats saving about an hour each day on the road, which could be spent with family and doing what you want.

So, after the dust settles, and I do my elementary math, that comes to about $8.30 per day commuting costs if you drive.

Omnilink busses cost $38.00 per week which is 7.60 per day and roughly the same amount of time driving, if not a little longer for stops.

If your a slugger who rides, you win both ways, saving money and time. If your driving, you save plenty of time and stress (which again is priceless) I would also venture to say that drivers save on gas too, as their cars arent idling in the mess. (You woodbridge folks can relate)

There's my two cents, HAPPY SLUGGING! [:D]
mlrdad View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlrdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 12:47pm
Agree with sludge - It is a mutual benefit. Exchange of cas, in my view, can lead to problems. (For example, increased expections on the part of the rider) I think adguy gives a pretty good summation of the $ costs.[?]
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 1:03pm
Slugging will always be a free option. Period. If people wanna pay money, buses-trains-and god forbid jumping in a HOT lane will cost you. Just may not be as care-free an option as it once was...
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 1:18pm
Here's what would happen. If there is a long line of slugs, the driver might be able to get slugs to pay something so they wouldnt have to wait. However, if there is a line of cars, a guy in the back of the car line could shout "free ride" and bypass the system.

A modest commuter lot parking fee may be the best approach, although I certainly hope we dont have to do that since we want to encourage HOV. Let's stick to our principals on this and force them to come up with something other than toll.

sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 1:42pm
After all, HOV lanes were created to ENCOURAGE carpooling back during the gas crisis days. Sluggin' soon followed to provide a way to quickly form a one-way car pool each day to enable a car with more than 1 person to move a larger number of people in one trip thereby saving fuel resources and commuting time. In some places, sluggin' has been called "informal carpooling". IMHO paying to carpool as either a driver or slug is totally counter to the reason we have HOV lanes. Keep on sluggin' ! [;)]
ExecSec View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExecSec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2004 at 1:44pm
Right Bob. I wouldn't make anyone pay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic