Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cas View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2002 at 9:42am
Ditto mycroftt's statement.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2002 at 8:24am
I still don't think the privileged class should get a free pass for HOV. If Mr. FBI Scientist needs to testify in Arlington, he can darn well get his butt out of bed early enough to get to court before the trial is over -just like I would have to do if I were testifying or on a jury or on trial for being a subversive SOB. A revolution was fought to rid this country of royalty and privileged classes and I don't think we should start building them anew. I say what's good for the goose is good for the gander. HOV lanes for HOV only!
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 11:52pm
MYCROFTT wrote:
quote:

quote:

On the other hand, though, FBI folks going to/from Quantico, and perhaps some others, are reasonable exceptions.

Eric.

What makes them so special? How about an exception for, say, Postal workers on their way to L'Enfant Plaza, or Wal-Mart greeters during December? What they do is important too, right? No, I'm not buying it - it's elitism and flaunting the law. I don't care if J. Edgar is on his way to get his gown re-hemmed, the law should apply to him as well. Emergency vehicles on a call should be the only exceptions.

Because agents going between HQ and Quantico are presumably doing so while on duty. I have absolutely no problem cutting ON DUTY law enforcement some slack. The number of exemptions shouldn't end up being that large. Suppose VDOT issues a very limited number of 'passes' to law enforcement agencies located w/in (say) 30 miles of DC. In order to have a pass the officer must ALREADY BE AT WORK to pick it up. And they must return it to work. That way, if Agent Smith from the FBI labs in Quantico is needed to testify in a Federal trial in Alexandria, some low-life doesn't get off on a technicality because Agent Smith was stuck in traffic.

Now, I wholeheartedly agree that there needs to be an stop to HOV usage by the Congress-critter, the DC cop living in Dale City and who can't be bothered to pick up slugs, and the Henrico County deputy that's cruising thru. BUT, for example, I think those troopers that are volunteering their time to sit along 110 and help guard the Pentagon really deserve whatever slack they can be given.

- Eric.

Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 9:15am
quote:

quote:

On the other hand, though, FBI folks going to/from Quantico, and perhaps some others, are reasonable exceptions.

Eric.

What makes them so special? How about an exception for, say, Postal workers on their way to L'Enfant Plaza, or Wal-Mart greeters during December? What they do is important too, right? No, I'm not buying it - it's elitism and flaunting the law. I don't care if J. Edgar is on his way to get his gown re-hemmed, the law should apply to him as well. Emergency vehicles on a call should be the only exceptions.

I'm with Mycroftt--Emergency vehicles only.

mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 9:08am
quote:

What VDOT needs to do is install "red light" cameras at HOV entrances and exits and ticket the cheaters. you're on candid camera! CAT

LOVE IT!!!!!

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 7:44am
quote:

Eric.

mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2002 at 9:26am
quote:

What VDOT needs to do is install "red light" cameras at HOV entrances and exits and ticket the cheaters. you're on candid camera! CAT

I was thinking the same thing, If the state can't get the troopers on the HOV, then put a cameras on the enter/Exit ramps of the HOV.

thornc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 3:53pm

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 1:00pm
Here's another one... Those hybrids that are getting a free pass currently. In order for that to truly make sense, the hybrids must be getting more than 3x the mileage of the average car currently out there, and/or be generating less than 1/3 the emissions.

So, is that the case? For the mileage, I doubt it, but I'm not sure on the emissions end of things.

- Eric.

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 12:56pm
Well, I see both sides of the whole 'exceptions' issue. It always ticks me off to see anyone driving alone with no obvious indicator as to why. For example, what is some Sheriff's deputy from Maryland doing on HOV? Or, for that matter, some Congress critter??

What I'd like to see is some readily visible sign that a car has a legitimate exemption, say a sticker on the license or a tag on the mirror. And tighten up the exemptions greatly.

- Eric.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic