Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Enforcement
    Posted: 10 Jun 2002 at 10:12pm
Do you get on HOV 95 in the morning and you're driving till you get into PW and then next thing you know,you're surrounded by the Infamous HOV Violators and there's more of them then there are of you.
The State says they can't enforce 100%, but that's no excuse for the HOV lanes to be back up in the mornings. The violator say that they get on before 6:00 am so they should be allow to be on it. Wrong!...the law says you can be on it before 6:00 but it doesn't say that if you start at the beginning of the HOV at 5:55 and the closest off ramp is Springfield, you are still a violator!!
Please people, It will only get worse, If you like,use,love the HOV lanes, NOW is the time to stand up and demand that there be random checks at 6:00am, let them know what you've seem..Let VDOT know there needs to be an exit ramp sooner than springfield!

sher78 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sher78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2002 at 1:42pm
I've been slugging for 2 yrs. now and just Love it! However, I too am dissapointed in the number of 'cheaters', especially in the morning. I have two suggestions to make:
A) Each county could hire extra officers, to patrol the HOV lanes, using the fines to pay the extra officers salaries. I'm sure either the violaters would stop cheating OR the counties would have a nice size additional income.
B) Back up the HOV start time in the mornings to 5:30 AM.
Sounds like a plan to me! Thx, Sharon
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 8:26am
HOV restrictions should be moved back to 5:00 AM anyway since 6:00AM doesn't cut it anymore. In the afternoon it should be moved back to 3:00 PM. I estimate the percentage of violators during the first half hour of restriction as well over 50% of all vehicles.

Another thing I don't like is the immunity to the law that has been conferred, whether officially or unofficially, on law enforcement personnel . What makes them so special? I don't care what anybody says - I have to go to work just like they do and I have to play by the rules, and they should as well. I prefer the egalitarian approach, I don't like privileged classes, I don't need no steenkeeng badgezz, and HOV lanes should be for HOV, period. Naturally I have no objection to emergency vehicles using HOV lanes when necessary, but that's about the only exception I can think of.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 10:07am
While I am not totally buying into the concept of changing the HOV times, consistent monitoring and stiffer fines might help.

I also totally agree with mycroftt's comment:

"Another thing I don't like is the immunity to the law that has been conferred, whether officially or unofficially, on law enforcement personnel . "

We each have a responsibility to get to work and on a daily basis face the trials and tribulations of the commute, why shouldn't they? (Sorry to my good friend and neighbor if you ever see this posting .)

Unfortunately, though I realize it's unfair to us, I know in my neighbor's case, she is not allowed to carry passengers in her unmarked vehicle, so she never would be able benefit from slugging. Is that totally fair for her? It's a tough issue.

Hmmmmm, here's an idea.....maybe as a trade off, some type of program could be established where these drivers from various branches of law enforcement regularly utilizing the lanes would be required (and given the authority) to say, at least once a month, catch violators during the times when HOV lanes are abused the most.....

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 12:56pm
Well, I see both sides of the whole 'exceptions' issue. It always ticks me off to see anyone driving alone with no obvious indicator as to why. For example, what is some Sheriff's deputy from Maryland doing on HOV? Or, for that matter, some Congress critter??

On the other hand, though, FBI folks going to/from Quantico, and perhaps some others, are reasonable exceptions.

What I'd like to see is some readily visible sign that a car has a legitimate exemption, say a sticker on the license or a tag on the mirror. And tighten up the exemptions greatly.

- Eric.

Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 1:00pm
Here's another one... Those hybrids that are getting a free pass currently. In order for that to truly make sense, the hybrids must be getting more than 3x the mileage of the average car currently out there, and/or be generating less than 1/3 the emissions.

So, is that the case? For the mileage, I doubt it, but I'm not sure on the emissions end of things.

- Eric.

thornc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thornc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2002 at 3:53pm
What VDOT needs to do is install "red light" cameras at HOV entrances and exits and ticket the cheaters. you're on candid camera! CAT

mdamba View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdamba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2002 at 9:26am
quote:

What VDOT needs to do is install "red light" cameras at HOV entrances and exits and ticket the cheaters. you're on candid camera! CAT

I was thinking the same thing, If the state can't get the troopers on the HOV, then put a cameras on the enter/Exit ramps of the HOV.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 7:44am
quote:

On the other hand, though, FBI folks going to/from Quantico, and perhaps some others, are reasonable exceptions.

Eric.

What makes them so special? How about an exception for, say, Postal workers on their way to L'Enfant Plaza, or Wal-Mart greeters during December? What they do is important too, right? No, I'm not buying it - it's elitism and flaunting the law. I don't care if J. Edgar is on his way to get his gown re-hemmed, the law should apply to him as well. Emergency vehicles on a call should be the only exceptions.
mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2002 at 9:08am
quote:

LOVE IT!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic