Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which side of the law am I on?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which side of the law am I on?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2004 at 2:43pm
This morning I picked up 2 slugs with 14th Street as my destination. As we are approaching the 14th Street Bridge, one of my slugs asked me to drop him off as soon as we got to the corner of D Street. I was surprised by the request, and told him I would if the light were red. Unfortunately, the light wasn't red, so I pulled off to the side of the road, crossing over a ramp to the safety of D Street. As soon as I let the slug out, a Dept. of Treasury police officer pulled up behind me and proceeded to ask for my license and registration. It turns out that I made an "illegal right turn". Where is the sign? Apparently it is painted on the roadway itself and says "14th Street Only", not "no right turn". I'm very frustrated that I was issued a ticket, and that it is a moving violation. Maybe I am at fault for agreeing to stop, but, it since I had "late notice" on having to pull over, I wasnt really looking for signage, I was mostly concerned with safely exiting the roadway. And, if the words were painted on the roadway, how would one see them in rush hour traffic, when each vechicle is crawling bumper to bumper behind the next? In my mind, I was doing the right thing by pulling entirely off the road (not into oncoming traffic! not obstructing the flow of the drivers on 14th street!).

I plan to contest the ticket. What is my best defense? More importantly, how does one obtain "evidence", such as pictures, in an area that is dangerous for pedestrians to begin with, which is precisely why I pulled off the roadway?

Here's the kicker: as soon as I was released from the traffic stop, a delivery truck was making a 3 point turn in the middle of 14th street, blocking traffic in both directions!! For 2 light cycles Where are the Dept. of Treasury police when you really need them??
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2004 at 3:19pm
Protesting tickets in DC is a joke! Trust me! Had a major issue with a stolen license plate that racked up tickets. I wrote letters, VA DMV sent letters, etc. I finally just paid the darn thing.

Could take picture of intersection and argue it that way. But if you wait past due date it increases and if they say you have to pay, you then have to pay the current amount.
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2004 at 4:21pm
I think the best you can hope for is that the cop won't show up for court. If he's not there, there's no witness to your offense, so the case would be dismissed.

But consider these factors in going to court: 1) You have to take leave or personal time, 2) you may be in court all morning, 3) you may be found guilty even with all your picture evidence and good explanations. Is it worth going to court?

I checked the D.C. DMV for points for the improper turn. It's not listed as such. It's listed as "any moving violation NOT on the list below." The points assigned are 2-3 (they weren't more specific). I don't know if there's reciprocity between D.C. DMV & VA DMV when it comes attaching points to your driving record. You may wish to contact VA DMV and ask.

The sad part of your story is that "No good deed goes unpunished."
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 2:30pm
I think you guys are missing it. He didn't get a ticket from a DC cop, he got one from a Treasury officer. That is a federal ticket, not a DC city one, right JK 14 n G?
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2004 at 3:35pm
Mea culpa! scottt is correct! I skimmed over the Treasury Dept. cop part. The things that change are that he gets to go to federal court rather than D.C., and federal courts themselves don't assign points. I truly don't know how the offender's DMV is notified of a conviction, or how/if they assign their state's point value to the offense.
rusty View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2004 at 1:37pm
I'm 26 and I have never gotten a ticket before that exact one. I didn't protest, becuase they told me I crossed over a solid white line, which was true. The slug was nice enough to pay the ticket.
JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 12:49pm
Thanks for your input! Although the issuing officer is from Dept. of Treasury, all of the info on the back of the ticket indicates that I should appear in DC court. I suppose it would be a good idea to find out about the reciprocity before I engage in a court battle! Rusty is lucky that his slug paid the ticket, since mine was already long gone!
goober View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2004 at 2:53pm
I almost made the same mistake this past summer. I think that area is set up like a trap, just to ticket drivers who inadvertently make a right turn. They must be making a ton of revenue from that one spot. Although most would probably just pay the fine, it appears to be an easy win for them in court because of their continued enforcement of that area [:(]

Goober
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2004 at 9:29am
quote:
Originally posted by KatieM
[br]Mea culpa! scottt is correct! I skimmed over the Treasury Dept. cop part. The things that change are that he gets to go to federal court rather than D.C., and federal courts themselves don't assign points. I truly don't know how the offender's DMV is notified of a conviction, or how/if they assign their state's point value to the offense.

Actually, I don't think that's entirely correct--from what I understand, there are some 14 different police departments authorized to issue tickets in DC that are processed through the DC government (including, among others, the Secret Service). This might have changed since I remember seeing this in the Post some five or six years ago, however.
adjguy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adjguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2004 at 12:25pm
Gotta love those keystone Cops, security guards with a police patch and an a training certificate from FLETC. You will notice that DC police officers will seldome bother with a simple infraction like that.
Watch out for them. An illegal right turn in DC? WHO CARES. Stinks you got a ticket. I understand that a basic traffic stop for a simple infraction can lead to more, especially during times like these, but common.

Take the ticket and contest it. Chances are that the judge will throw it out, especially if the officer has many more of those time wasteing tickets. Some judges get annoyed when he sees those types of infractions in the court room, because they take valuable docket time.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic