Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes ARE NOT a Speedway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 7:16pm
I've ridden with drivers who stay behind the bus going 45 because they're afraid to pull out and pass. If they finally do, they're the ones who drive 55 in the HOV. I've ridden with drivers zipping in and about cars in their way. I've ridden with drivers who let it all out in the stretch of empty roadway (rare anymore, but sometimes it happens). How Scarlett got a ticket for RECKLESS is an outrage! Where are the cops to catch the CHEATERS?! Every now and again, they crack down - perhaps once every quarter or towards the end of the month when "quota" needs to be met. Scarlett - take that ticket to court and plead down to a lesser speed, 15-19 miles over the limit is better than 20+. IF the cop doesn't show up for court, it's all mute anyway. No cop, no witness.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 3:40pm
This is a case where the slugs need a detailed description of the car, and the date and time of the pickup. He should be on the do not ride list and should be told that he has been reported. Seriously.
JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 2:48pm

I know it seems like we've beat this subject to death, but I had to add some information about an experience I had this morning. It's pretty funny that you are all talking about folks doing 80, and how that's too fast. Today, I had the "pleasure" of riding in a Mustang convertible (in the backseat, no less) going 95mph. If you recall, it was pretty windy this morning, and boy oh boy did that wind have a HUGE effect on my sense of safety in that vehicle. Before we even got on the HOV, we were beside a tow truck in the regular lanes, and a large sheet of metal from the vehcile in tow fell off and the driver had to swerve to miss it. At that speed, we were lucky the driver noticed the sheet metal, or else it could have been a tragedy.

NO ONE should be driving 95 mph ANYWHERE.

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!
muschi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muschi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 12:20pm
jc 9,

- yes more congested areas are the reason for slower speed limits. i thought this was a no-brainer, but apparently not. its harder to pass and pass safely when there are more cars around and especially if they are trying to QUALIFY hehe

- i dont know of too many drivers going that slow in the passing lane that it would **significantly** add to anyones commute. im always smiling smugly when i come up on some j/o out there when we arrive at just about the same time at a destination, or a traffic jam. yes dingbats, hurry up and rush to that traffic jam! hurry hurry hurry!! lol . and u lose so much time passing if u r going slower? are your driving skills are that poor?

in addition, a solution really is as it is in Jersey where its ILLEGAL to stay in the left hand lane. the law there is "stay right except to pass" but in this retarded semi-redneck state that would make too much sense. well apparently so they cant do basic math here either...cops will actually give u this ticket in addition to a speeding ticket. they have this in connecticut too.
Road Warrior View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 12:24pm
quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]Oh god, not the "speed kills" thread again. We beat this one to death last time......

I apologize in advance, but I have to say this:

Speed doesn't kill...stupidity kills.

If US drivers were subjected to the same driver education standards and licensing requirements (cost: ~$2,000 US), enforcement (speed cameras, citizen reporting, etc) and resultant penalties for traffic violations that driver's in Germany are, we would have less problems. Germans understand that having a driver’s license to operate a motor vehicle is a PRIVLEGE!!! As Americans, we tend to believe it is one of our RIGHTS.

I am not saying that German drivers are better than the average US driver, but common courtesy on the road and an adherence to the “Rules of the Road” are both taught and enforced throughout Germany. The rule of “Left Lane, Passing Only” is something that is strictly adhered to and if you fail to move right for a car traveling faster than you are, the driver can legally report you to the Polizei (Police) who will mail you a citation.

Most US drivers know that unless a law enforcement officer actually sees them driving aggressively (well beyond the capability of their vehicles or themselves) they will not be caught and cited for their stupidity unless if by some chance they get into an accident without killing themselves or someone else.

Another factor that adds substantially to the "speed kills" debate is the quality of our highway system. The German government spends an average of $900K per mile annually to maintain the Autobahn. The US spends <$250K per mile. While the Eisenhower Interstate System was modeled after the Autobahn, it is nowhere near the quality of the Autobahn.

Slow down and drive within both your capabilities and the capabilities of the vehicle you are driving. A Cadillac Escalade, Ford Excursion, Honda Civic Hybrid or any other vehicle should not be driven at 80 or 90 in rush hour traffic. Wait until you get out in the wide open expanse of Texas.

Leave 10 minutes early and if you leave late, call your boss and just say, “Left home a bit late, will be there as soon as traffic will allow me”. It is the message your boss would rather hear, than your loved one getting a call from the State Police saying you were killed in a single car accident directly caused by speeding and aggressive driving.

Now getting off my soapbox….

Thanks.

John
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:33pm
Excellent Question Stuck2!!!

>>If the exit is off the left lane and I turn on my turn signal to move over from the right hand lane where I was traveling @ 65-70, will you climb down my tailpipe or cut me off so I miss my exit?
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:31pm
YES MDC,

If in the left lane and cars are passing you on the right you should absolutely move into the right lane. The problem is that the excessive speeders want BOTH lanes. If someone going is going 75 in the left lane and an 80+ driver wants that space, sometimes the 75 driver can't get over due to the 65-70 drivers in the right lane. AND then there are the 80+ drivers that don't care what lane they drive in as long as they can drive THEIR speed limit. That is what irks me. I'm PERFECTLY happy tooling along at 72 or so in the right lane, until I've got people whizzing by my left side and riding my bumper until they TOO can whiz by my left side.

ScarletLSG
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]Question to all the left lane speed demons. If the exit is off the left lane and I turn on my turn signal to move over from the right hand lane where I was traveling @ 65-70, will you climb down my tailpipe or cut me off so I miss my exit?

Do you speed up to the speed of traffic, or do you try to keep going at your speed in the right lane? I see this every night approaching Seminary Road--someone gets over from the right lane and SLOWS DOWN prior to reaching the exit. That drives me crazy--it's what the deceleration area prior to the ramp is for! I try not to cut people off at any time, but if someone is showing no signs of being willing to accelerate to get into the left lane, I also don't go out of my way to help them into the lane. If someone puts on their indicator well in advance, though, I usually assume that they want to exit and I'm more likely to let that person in (if someone won't indicate, I make it a rule not to do that person any favours!)

EDIT: I should have added, I NEVER tailgate. Stupid thing to do all the way around.
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:07pm
Speaking of Florida, southern states apparently don't have a problem with high speeds - once you get out of Virginia its 70 mph. Its 70 mph in West Virginia too and that is through the mountains.

I am a speeder - I'll admit it. Sorry.

Yea, this is a dead horse, why are we discussing this again?

[:o)]

quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]Fed_up, I'll quote you again. "The driver had more than enough opportunity to reduce the speed". Again, I have to fault you. If he had to adjust his speed because of something you did, then (IMHO) you are in the wrong. If he sped up, then I fault him. But if he maintained his speed throughout your maneuver, and you didn't complete your pass before he was upon you, you misjudged the distance. I turned 16 in Florida, and I'm not sure if it is still this way or not, but if you were on the driving test, and another driver had to use their brakes because of something you did, you failed INSTANTLY. Happened to a few in my driver's ed class.

You didn't commit a capital offense, you shouldn't be dragged out and shot, but you did goof. Happens to all of us. :-)

Dina
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:03pm
MDC -- No, I had not noticed that the 50 mph speed limit is only for the northbound drivers. We are always crawling through that area in the evenings because of the opening at Edsal Road that I am only able to travel about 40 mph anyway. I wonder if the 50 mph speed limit there is because the entrance ramp in that vicinity has such a short (if at all) merge point. hmmm[?]

And Scottt, IMHO, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether I cut the person off. You weren't there, and sometimes in attempting to describe a situation, the description doesn't always come across.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic