Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes ARE NOT a Speedway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2005 at 2:52pm
I guess I didn't do a good job in descibing the incident I commented on. I shouldn't have used "up on my bumper." As mentioned, I signaled and changed to the left lane to pass (checking my mirrors). The gray car was at least seven to ten car lengths back. I felt that this was more than enough space for me to change lanes and effecively pass the car that was slowing my progress. The driver had more than enough opportunity to reduce the speed. But instead, the driver just kept the pedal to the metal. The driver could see why I had changed lanes and once I passed the car, I merged back into the slower lane. The driver was just too impatient to wait the extra 30 seconds for me to pass.
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 8:48am
Fed_up, I'll quote you again. "The driver had more than enough opportunity to reduce the speed". Again, I have to fault you. If he had to adjust his speed because of something you did, then (IMHO) you are in the wrong. If he sped up, then I fault him. But if he maintained his speed throughout your maneuver, and you didn't complete your pass before he was upon you, you misjudged the distance. I turned 16 in Florida, and I'm not sure if it is still this way or not, but if you were on the driving test, and another driver had to use their brakes because of something you did, you failed INSTANTLY. Happened to a few in my driver's ed class.

You didn't commit a capital offense, you shouldn't be dragged out and shot, but you did goof. Happens to all of us. :-)
jc9 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jc9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 10:43am
I admit I am a fast driver. And when I am on the road, I try to get to my destination as quickly as possible - with 2 excpetions...I never go over 80mph and I never exceed the speed limit by more than 20mph b/c both will qualify for reckless driving (in VA).

I agree that there ARE dangerous drivers on HOV, fast AND slow. But, as addressed above, people are going to go faster than "normal" on HOV b/c the speed limit itself is faster than normal (65mph most places). Some places, like south of Virginia, have 65mph as their NORMAL speed limit...why is 55mph the magic "dangerous" speed for Virginia? I guess more cars/more people could be a bit of a defense, but my opinion is they want to make it easier to collect money by ticketing speeders.

I personally hate slow drivers more than speeders, and think they are also dangerous; although I do agree that EXCESSIVE speeders are a problem - not to mention the fact that they're usually the ones that swerve and honk and use obscene gestures...not that it makes it ok for me, but I do ONLY speed [:D] I don't punish people for not going as fast as I want, I just silently fume within myself.

Finally, I know the mathematic calculation will indicate only an 8 minute savings by going a little faster, but in reality, it can make a bigger difference than that. I find that by going slower, you miss opportunites to get around cars that are NOT going the speed you desire - and therefore takes you LONGER to get to your destination. So factor in that you may only be going 60mph and not only lose the 8 minutes you might have gained, but also the minutes calculated by whatever speed the driver blocking you is going. (that explanation seemed way more clear in my head, looking back I may not have described it very well, hope I don't get slammedfor it! [:I])
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:02am
fed up,
Have you noticed that the speed limit in that area when going Southbound is not reduced to 50? It's only on the morning trip that there's a sign.

On the subject of passing. My rule is that if you're in the left lane and cars are passing you on the right, you're in the wrong lane. No matter what speed you're going.
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:15am
As indicated by all these posts, everyone drives differently. It appears that some are aggressive drivers while others are defensive drivers. Me, I'm strictly defensive and will give way until the coast is clear all around before making a move to the left lane or to pass a slower vehicle. I think if everyone kept safety in mind, it would prevent a lot of incidents from happening. 65-70 is the max I'll drive on the HOV or for that matter in the metro area or on the eastern seaboard above the Springfield, Va. area. There are too many vehicles out and with that brings close proximity which increases the possibility of an accident. Remember, safety is paramount.
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 12:09pm
Way I see it is simple:

If the right lane is going 60 mph, and the left lane is going 75 mph, and you want to do 68 mph, you either slow down and drive in the right lane or speed up and drive in the left lane. It is not the prerogative of a single driver to dictate to everyone else what speed they should drive. Before anyone says "But the sign says 65," I will note that under Virginia law that is irrelevant. The law in Virginia is that if you are in the left lane, and someone comes up going faster than you, you must give way (once it is safe to do so) on a visible or audible signal (i.e., a few blinks of the left blinker, a flash of the headlights, or blowing the horn at the ignoramus who ignores the first two), even if the other driver is speeding.

But even setting aside the law, it's just courtesy--slower drivers move out of the way of faster drivers. The point that scottt makes about how you are in the wrong if you cause another driver to hit the brakes is a great point. That's how it works on the autobahn--if you want to pass, but cannot do so without causing someone who is coming up to pass you to slow down, then you must wait to begin your pass until the faster driver is past you. On the autobahn, with much higher speeds than we have here, this is a matter of safety so that people aren't slamming on the brakes at high speed. Here, it is a manner of courtesy and intelligence, but sadly these things are lacking in many drivers in the DC area.

BTW, speaking of giving a visible signal, whatever happened to a blink of the lights to indicate to someone to move out of the way? This used to be universally understood as a standard gesture. Now in Virginia people seem to think the proper method is to pull up and tailgate, and then whip around on the right before the slower person even has a chance to move over.
Stuck2 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stuck2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 12:27pm
Question to all the left lane speed demons. If the exit is off the left lane and I turn on my turn signal to move over from the right hand lane where I was traveling @ 65-70, will you climb down my tailpipe or cut me off so I miss my exit?
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:03pm
MDC -- No, I had not noticed that the 50 mph speed limit is only for the northbound drivers. We are always crawling through that area in the evenings because of the opening at Edsal Road that I am only able to travel about 40 mph anyway. I wonder if the 50 mph speed limit there is because the entrance ramp in that vicinity has such a short (if at all) merge point. hmmm[?]

And Scottt, IMHO, we'll have to agree to disagree on whether I cut the person off. You weren't there, and sometimes in attempting to describe a situation, the description doesn't always come across.
dkerley View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkerley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:07pm
Speaking of Florida, southern states apparently don't have a problem with high speeds - once you get out of Virginia its 70 mph. Its 70 mph in West Virginia too and that is through the mountains.

I am a speeder - I'll admit it. Sorry.

Yea, this is a dead horse, why are we discussing this again?

[:o)]

quote:
Originally posted by scottt
[br]Fed_up, I'll quote you again. "The driver had more than enough opportunity to reduce the speed". Again, I have to fault you. If he had to adjust his speed because of something you did, then (IMHO) you are in the wrong. If he sped up, then I fault him. But if he maintained his speed throughout your maneuver, and you didn't complete your pass before he was upon you, you misjudged the distance. I turned 16 in Florida, and I'm not sure if it is still this way or not, but if you were on the driving test, and another driver had to use their brakes because of something you did, you failed INSTANTLY. Happened to a few in my driver's ed class.

You didn't commit a capital offense, you shouldn't be dragged out and shot, but you did goof. Happens to all of us. :-)

Dina
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:21pm
quote:
Originally posted by Stuck2
[br]Question to all the left lane speed demons. If the exit is off the left lane and I turn on my turn signal to move over from the right hand lane where I was traveling @ 65-70, will you climb down my tailpipe or cut me off so I miss my exit?

Do you speed up to the speed of traffic, or do you try to keep going at your speed in the right lane? I see this every night approaching Seminary Road--someone gets over from the right lane and SLOWS DOWN prior to reaching the exit. That drives me crazy--it's what the deceleration area prior to the ramp is for! I try not to cut people off at any time, but if someone is showing no signs of being willing to accelerate to get into the left lane, I also don't go out of my way to help them into the lane. If someone puts on their indicator well in advance, though, I usually assume that they want to exit and I'm more likely to let that person in (if someone won't indicate, I make it a rule not to do that person any favours!)

EDIT: I should have added, I NEVER tailgate. Stupid thing to do all the way around.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic