Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV Lanes ARE NOT a Speedway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV Lanes ARE NOT a Speedway
    Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 10:28am
Okay,

We ALL speed. We have ALL at one time or another driven faster than the posted limits. Until recently, I thought nothing of going 80 mph ... especially in an uncongested HOV lane. BUT, I got my hand smacked by the highway patrol with a reckless speeding ticket. Since that happened, I've considerably lowered my speeds. I TRY to stay with traffic but will NOT go above 70 mph. Here's the deal though. It is MORE DANGEROUS for me to maintain that speed ... IN THE RIGHT LANE ... than to go 80 mph. Because the on ramps to the HOV are located with entrances to both the left and right lanes, the 80+ mph drivers can't just stay safely in the left lane. When they are approaching one of these ramps they refuse to slow enough for the oncoming vehicles to safely enter and then move to the right lane. Instead the 80+-ers move to the right lane and either cut off the right lane drivers or ride their rear bumpers. Everyday I'm confronted by a dozen or more "close calls" with reckless drivers.

PLEASE SLOW DOWN. There is NO REASON to drive 80+ mph and it IS DANGEROUS when everyone else is trying to maintain safer speeds.

Thank you

ScarletLSG
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 11:21am
If people actually stayed in the right lane, then you wouldnt have to worry. But theres always the ass that has to sit in the left lane and ride right next to the car doing the same speed in the right lane. Also the speed limit is 65mph. I dont see any hazard in going 10mph above the speed limit. The only people that care are the troopers. I wish it was like Germany. :(

-Rob
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 11:35am
you are in complete denial and are the kind of person that causes accidents. you can BELIEVE that speeding doesn't matter, but let's not play with opinions - let's get some facts:

There is a vast amount of evidence demonstrating the strong link between vehicle speed and road accidents.

• The accident risk rises the faster a driver travels: at 25% above the average speed, a driver is about 6 times as likely to have an accident than a driver travelling at the average speed. SIX TIMES

"Road-based studies looked at how speeds on a given road affect accidents occurring there. Several hundred thousand observations of vehicle speed on almost 300 roads of different types were related statistically to the numbers of accidents on those roads. These showed clearly that the faster the average speed of traffic on a given type of road, the more accidents there are

INJURY ACCIDENTS rise rapidly as average speed increases, if all else remains constant. "

Get real. It's not your right do do 80-90 mph on the road. you're a hazard to yourself, other drivers, and slugs.

qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 11:41am
from another study:

"Cars involved in casualty crashes were generally travelling faster than cars that were not involved in a crash: 68 per cent of casualty crash involved cars were spedding compared to 42 per cent of those not involved in a crash. THE DIFFERENCE WAS EVEN GREATER AT HIGHER SPEEDS: 14 per cent of casualty crash involved cars were travelling faster than 80 km/h in a 60 km/h speed zone compared to less than 1 per cent of those not involved in a crash.

Above 60 km/h there is an exponential increase in risk of involvement in a casualty crash with increasing travelling speed such that the risk approximately doubles with each 5 km/h increase in travelling speed.

By working back from the risk estimates we have concluded that nearly half (46 per cent) of these free travelling speed casualty crashes probably would have been avoided, or reduced to non-casualty crashes, if none of the case vehicles had been travelling above the speed limit. A more conservative estimate, based on calculation of stopping distances and impact speeds, indicates that 29 per cent of crashes would have been avoided altogether, with a reduction of 22 per cent in the impact energy of the remaining cases.

Again using the conservative method, we estimate that an urban area speed limit of 50 km/h on all roads, with the present level of compliance, would be likely to result in a reduction of at least 33 per cent in the number of free travelling speed casualty crashes.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 1:58pm
Qorc,

At first I thought your reply was to ME. But continued reading and realized you were replying to Subaru. Subaru claims that there are people that sit in the left lane and I'M SURE SOME DO. But for someone like me that enters on a left lane entrance, it may take a few car lengths distance to move into the right lane. The 80+-ers CANNOT slow down enough to wait for that, thus they swerve around you making it THAT MUCH HARDER to get over. When you finally DO get over, you have to deal with the right side entrances and the 80+ drivers coming in there. The person driving 70-ish doesn't have a CHANCE to just tool along in the right lane without being endangered by the people having to drive excessive speeds.

This morning I was cruising along ... minding my own business (and that of the driver's around me, of course) ... had the cruise control set at 70 when a driver going OVER 80 entered the HOV on the right, came right up to my rear bumper ... HONKED and then swerved around me. Now, I WAS already going 5 over the 65 ... why would he honk at me? It is really out of control. I wish the cops would pull over BOTH the violators AND the speeders.

ScarletLSG
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 2:15pm
Well either way Im going to continue to travel between 70 - 80mph. Sorry if you dont like it.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 2:54pm
Scarlet... You're not going to win the speed argument. This topic came up back around the time you got your ticket, and despite the legal, insurance, and accident issues, there were many like Subaru who felt it was their God-given right to exceed the speed limit at 80-90 mph. With them, it's always going to be the fault of the law-abiding drivers for any hazardous driving characteristics that must be engaged to facilitate their commute, not to mention any accidents that might occur.

It's not limited to the HOV lanes, either. Last Friday, my wife and I were returning from the Belvoir Commissary, driving on the Inner Loop. We were doing 60-65 mph in the right lane and getting our doors blown off by 90% of the traffic, including a flatbed tow truck with a car on top and another being towed. It seems the majority of today's drivers don't care about driving sanely or legally, they just want to get where their going in the shortest time possible.
muschi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muschi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 3:25pm
basic math, people!

70 miles @ 70 mph = 1 hr

70 miles @ 80 mph = 52.5 minutes [dohhhh!! thx slugde. im dyslexic, thats my excuse!! lol]

the only way you will make up a significant amount of time is if you are driving a VERY long distance, like HOURS. [so watch out when i drive 'home' to jersey! lol] [:D]

leave home a FEW minutes earlier!

why get all worked up and endanger you and others on the road. is your 8 friggin minutes worth bothering and endangering everyone around you? slow down, relax, enjoy the road. listen to howard stern [BABA BABA BOOEY! BABA BABA BOOEY! BABA BABA BOOEY! [:p]]

and you have to love those people who are sooo stupid they believe that passing you ONE car length is magically going to transport them thru space and time and get them where they need to go a CENTURY earlier! well if speed kills then natrual selection shall surely eliminate the problem. [xx(]

oh and i recently witnessed [legally speaking] an accident in the HOV lane in Arl b/c some jack*** in a minivan passed TWO[!] DOT 'arrow trucks' and slammed into the 3rd b/c they wouldnt merge over when they were supposed to. i told the cops 'the driver drove like an ass and paid the price and was to blame. no sympathy for u types out there. i'll clap when u crash b/c u hav no regard for anyone else. too bad i cant upload the jpeg i took. [xx(][B)]

god, people are so dumb it amazes me (and yet they are so sure and think so highly of themsleves). [:o)]
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 3:30pm
Ronin,

You are probably right. It's a lost cause with some folks. I was JUST AS GUILTY a few months ago. But having a reckless speeding ticket was my wake-up call. Muschi hit the nail on the head with stating that the faster speed DOESN'T get you there THAT MUCH SOONER. My husband doesn't drive AT ALL. We live on Quantico and he works TWO MILES from home. So on the weekends if we are cruising up 95 or around the beltway and traffic is moving at 60-70 mph ... he gets a little impatient. I just tell him to be HAPPY that it is going THAT fast. It could be going 6-7 mph.

Thanks for the reality check.

ScarletLSG
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2005 at 3:39pm
muschi,

Please recheck your math. [B)]

Agree that 70 miles @ 70 mph = 1 hour

-- but 70 miles @ 80 mph does not = 1 hour + 8 mins. Going that distance at that speed would take less than 1 hour.
I think the answer should be 0.875 hours and that equals about 52.5 mins.

Agree with your point that one really doesn't save much time by driving 80 mph over 65 or 70 mph.

Have a great New Year -- and Keep on Sluggin'! [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic