Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New HOV Study-Good news(kind of)!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New HOV Study-Good news(kind of)!
    Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 3:54am
This article is in the washington post today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html

Finally, a study that proves what people here have been saying. Nice plug for this site too! Too bad they didn't mention that some hybrid emissions aren't that good.

It's good that the problem is finally documented, the bad news that it is just as bad as we all thought.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 8:34am
quote:
Originally posted by Wagonman
[br]This article is in the washington post today:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html

Finally, a study that proves what people here have been saying. Nice plug for this site too! Too bad they didn't mention that some hybrid emissions aren't that good.

It's good that the problem is finally documented, the bad news that it is just as bad as we all thought.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!! Finally some attention!!

(And I gotta say, after reading that article, I found out that the problem is WORSE than I thought...sad!!)
mroyal View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mroyal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 9:51am
"Low-emission vehicles were first allowed to use HOV lanes in 1994 to lessen the region's air pollution,..."

I tried (and failed) to make this point a number of times last year, that being allowed solo in the HOV was used as an incentive. And it worked.

I will grant you that TODAY, the solo hybrids are increasingly raising congestion and that this congestion probably needs to be addressed prior to the 2006. However, when we were in hot debate last year, congestion was not a problem at all.

Do we still need an incentive to build the market to encourage technology advances that will lessen the region's air pollution? You bet. What should the incentive be? I don't know, but if it took 10 years for this incentive to become too successful, we should perhaps look 5 or 10 years out - hydrogen (that is not created using fossil fuels)?

Solo driving in HOV is obviously a strong incentive. We should use it wisely.

Kindest Regards,

mroyal
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:21am
quote:
Originally posted by mroyal

I will grant you that TODAY, the solo hybrids are increasingly raising congestion and that this congestion probably needs to be addressed prior to the 2006. However, when we were in hot debate last year, congestion was not a problem at all.

I'd say the HOV traffic last year was far worse than it was in 2003, which was far worse than in 2002. In 2002, the only morning delays were when there was an actual problem in the HOV lanes. When the exemption was extended to 2006 in early 2003, the jump in traffic was very apparent, and it's grown constantly since.

The discussion here was whether the Hybrids were a threat to the HOV lanes. Many people said "Nope", despite the obvious growing congestion. It's now to the point where some days, it's faster to drive yourself in the regular lanes than to go through the steps required to get 3 people in a car and make the trip in HOV.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic