Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GET RID OF HOV !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tri2dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2005 at 8:47am
There is a clause in the Constitution that directly addresses online web forums? WOW, I am going to have to read over it again. Who knew that the founding fathers invisioned the internet. Gotta love those founding fathers. But my point is not that you don't have the right to post, the point is why? You don't commute to DC anymore, be glad of that fact. You are part of the solution, you reduced the commuting traffic load by one. You should be praised, long live endhov, may his name be remember from here on after as one of the greats. So again the question is why not stop.
quote:
Originally posted by endhov
[br]…well said Buster, Keep on squeakin'!

quote:
If you dont use the HOV lanes then why are you on this site. This great "at home" job must not keep you very busy.

I'm a computer graphic artist in print advertising and 3d animation, as well as video editing and production. My great "at home" job keeps me very busy and very well paid, Mr. tri2dc. Who the hell are you to make such a comment!

And if you need a clue as to why I’m on this forum, there is a little document you may have heard of called The US Constitution. It’s on display at the National Archives, you might want to read it. It gives me the same right to do what you are doing: making a point in public forum.

And aside from that, Mr. tri2dc, please show me anywhere on this web site that states I have to be presently using HOV in order to comment on it!

endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2005 at 9:14am
Wonderful, now that you've decided to read the Constitution try reading my first post, then, maybe, you will figure out why; and then, maybe, you'll figure out how you can become part of a real solution.

And thank you for realizing my part of the solution. Your praises are noteworthy.

PS - Check your reading glasses, because you obviously have trouble reading the printed text: I wrote PUBLIC forum, not ONLINE WEB forums; and yes, I do love 'those founding fathers'.
dixeedog View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dixeedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2005 at 4:09pm
Wow, for someone who doesn't commute, you sure do have some kind of attitude. Tri, just ignore him, he will go away.
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 7:35am
I dont understand why anyone would be against HOV. The only people are the ones who dont use it because they are too lazy, which is the only reason. If HOV ended then all the lanes would be clogged and more people would just be stuck sitting in that crazy traffic I see on the normal side. Hell I say we make all of I95 HOV between 6 - 9 am and 330 - 6 pm. Then you have to pick up slugs and you are helping.

:)

-Rob
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 7:38am
"Government has a responsibility to its people. To allow a QUADRUPLING of population density without some real account for added traffic is disgracefully irresponsible. "

I am sorry....I don’t get it?? The government was the cause of this problem? Had nothing at all to do with the economic growth or the change in the military to more civilian support staff? Why do we always blame the government for what in some people's eyes as going wrong? I am sure there are many business owners grateful for the increased sales due to the influx of people. I was first stationed here in 1982 and yes there has been accelerated growth but I will say that there are also way more opportunities here also. Have to take the good with the bad. If you want slow growth and no traffic and low pay there are lots of other places to live.
endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 11:44am
I don’t think anyone of reasonable intelligence is against HOV; it serves its purpose…for now. My point that I tried to make clear in my first post, but apparently failed to do, was in response to the increasing backups on HOV, because of hybrids, motorcycles, etc.

Even if you were to remove all but HOV3, there will still be bumper to bumper traffic (HOV & main-road) from DC to Doswell, and vice versa, 10 years from now when the population density reaches its saturation point, and I challenge anyone here to explain to me how it won’t.

I do not have faith that the area planners took all into account when they drew up their master plans.

Tdar20, I’m not talking about several hundred military folks that have transferred here for the war efforts (past or present), I’m talking about the thousands upon thousands of new dwelling units that are springing up at such a break neck speed. Our transportation infrastructure cannot support it.

Again, let me be clear about what I’m saying: new developments do not bother me, what bothers me is when we develop to a point that we are living like a bee hive, and spending 3 hours in a vehicle to commute; whether you are in HOV or not. And yes, government IS to blame for this because they are the only ones authorized to issue the building permits.

What happens when HOV4 or 5 is no longer enough? Do we then start stuffing people in the trunks of our cars?

And by the way, more developments bring more people with new businesses to compete. The law of zero-sum unfortunately comes painfully into play and the influx of new people does NOT bring added revenue, just more traffic problems which, in fact, hurt business, because nobody wants to drive.

HOV works for now, but it will soon become inadequate. And then we are going to have one hell of a mess to clean up. My hope is that enough people will see this disaster coming and make their voices heard to make sure that it does not.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 1:12pm
Well End hov I hear China has a way to control the population, you may want to try there. As far as the growth here, I dont have a problem with it at all. Its all part of the big business world in DC and if you want to play in that park then you have to pay.....the payment is crowded roads. That being said I cant say I like the commute but I accept it. I could be looking for work in Horse Shoe NC but they dont really need missile defense experts there so I accept my path and deal with it without blame. I just get tired of people blaming the govt for all the ills they seem to be faceing.
endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2005 at 4:21pm
Tdar, right now your commute from Stafford is what; 40 minutes to an hour, depending on weather? 10 years from now that same commute will be double if not triple. Do you think that spending four hours of your life every workday in your car and not in your home with your family is acceptable? I don’t, and I don’t think you do either. This is something we don’t have to accept.

I’m not talking about population control, nor am I blaming the govt. for world hunger, the homeless, or why little Johnny can’t get a lucrative job because he dropped out of high school. My argument is about balance. Development has to be balanced in proportion with a transportation system that can handle it. Right now it is not, and it is getting much worse. If this is not the state and local governments’ responsibility, then please tell me who.

I do, however, want to go on record as saying thank you for your service to our country. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate that, and I also can’t tell you how much I anticipate the ultimate success of your program.

Cheers
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2005 at 9:03am
endhov.....when I started working in the Pentagon on my first tour a very long time ago (1985 ish) it took about 60 to 80 minutes due to the way the HOV lanes were constructed and I usually went by myself. As time has gone by and I now commute either in a car pool or picking up slugs and it’s about the same. Not bad for that amount of time that has gone by. Projecting ahead 10 years I agree it will be longer but I always come back to the bottom line. My salary will also continue to climb which keeps me right here enjoying the pay but putting up with the commute. I am very fortunate to have landed a terrific job in the defense industry and am rewarded very well for my efforts. I know not everybody fits that category but I for one see it as a balanced trade......time for $. To me the bottom line is: If you don’t want to put up with the trials of getting to work in this area move and find another place to work but don’t expect the same pay scale. It all comes down to dollars to me. As for my family time......quality is terrific and I make sure I maximize the time that I have available to spend with them. It’s an individual choice.
muschi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muschi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2005 at 12:05pm
what does "NOT PSOSTED" mean?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic