Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GET RID OF HOV !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GET RID OF HOV !
    Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:29am
Did I get someone's attention? Did I annoy anyone by this subject?

If so, GOOD!

HOV is the equivalent of trying to cure cancer with garlic. The cancer in this case being overcrowded roads borne from out of control development; and don’t even think of dismissing me as another mentally deranged arsonist-with-a-cause member of ELF.

Government has a responsibility to its people. To allow a QUADRUPLING of population density without some real account for added traffic is disgracefully irresponsible.

If people on this site want better traffic conditions, elect officials who will put an end to out of control development, or at least put a serious curb on it. Until then, wail and moan all you want about the hybrids and the HOV1, it won’t make a spit of difference. In the end we will all remain face to fanny on the beltway. Four people in a car with four times the population density is still a traffic jam.

Enjoy.
muschi View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muschi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:37am
yeah! let's pave paradise and put up a parking lot! [oooo nah nah nah] lol
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 11:55am
Muschi said: "yeah! let's pave paradise and put up a parking lot!

Except you can restore paradise right now by filling the empty seats of the drive alone cars.

Hard part is to get around the car advertising that tells people they are better off sitting in traffic dreaming of being on a wide open road than actually being on a wide open road.

Hard part is to convince real estate people to promote slugging. But real estate isn't interested in providing more disposable income for housing. The real estate market has more than enough buyers and more than enough financial institutions willing to make the loans.

Have you ever wondered who is driving all those Mercedes SUVs on Shirley Highway between 2 and 4 AM on Sunday? Those are real estate agents zipping along at 90 MPH so they can tell their clients: "Just the other day I drove from Richmond to DC in 17 minutes." OK, I exaggerate, it was really 16.

At one time real estate agents promoted slugging. One, as I remember, was Routh Robbins. But then they came under pressure for using insider information to contact military people coming to the area. A typical mailing might contain information on where a particular academy class was clustered. Then in a side bar there was a note on how to join a car pool or van pool or slug line.

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 12:04pm
Elected officials aren't going to do anything for slugs unless slugs start doing something for themselves. Do slugs post the location of slug lines on the bulletin board at work? Do slugs make the offhand comment in a crowded elevator of how relaxing the commute was? Or do slugs whine about the three minute delay because the greens get to dirve solo in a hybrid or motorcyclists are a pain?

The drive alone isn't going to relate to whining.

Get the drive alone to become slugs!

Elected officials go in cycles. The last slow growth advocate in northern Virginia in my recollection was Audrey Moore in the 70s. Audrey was true to her committment. All the rest merely paid lip service and soon followed the money.

Some politicians were even prosecuted for selling and developing public land.

quote:
Originally posted by endhov
[br]Did I get someone's attention? Did I annoy anyone by this subject?

If so, GOOD!

HOV is the equivalent of trying to cure cancer with garlic. ...

If people on this site want better traffic conditions, elect officials who will put an end to out of control development, or at least put a serious curb on it. ...Enjoy.

dickboyd@aol.com
endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 12:25pm
Selling pub land is not the problem, it's the prolific upzoning of the private.

...could care less who was slow dev 30 years ago, our problem is now.

In Lorton alone there is presently THREE, 1,500+ dweling unit developments under construction.

Do the math - you think HOV is going to get better?

keep dreaming.
endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 12:59pm
…used to, plus metro. Not any more.

I saw the writing on the wall 5 years ago. I trained for another field of employ so I could work from home. The extra study and work has paid dividends by orders of magnitude just by not having to commute anymore. Believe me, I am NOT a contributor to the traffic quagmire.
tri2dc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tri2dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 2:09pm
If you dont use the HOV lanes then why are you on this site. This great "at home" job must not keep you very busy.
Buster View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 2:56pm
quote:
Originally posted by RoadRunner:

Has anyone else noticed the recent influx of newbies on the site today? Could it be the publicity of the Wash Post article--especially to the one about hybrids that was mentioned in the article? Granted, any publicity for this site is better than none.

Seems like a lot of these new posters are hybrid owners or someone who doesn't even slug/ever slugged. I'm tired of the "stop whining" comments from these posters. These comments are read by those who can and will make a difference and by many others, and some changes have occured because of them. The squeeky wheel gets the oil. Maybe they should spend a day in our shoes and realize the benefits the slugging community has contributed to helping reduce stress, pollution, congestion, etc.

What a remarkably self-absorbed comment. Yeah, I'm a Hybrid owner and newbie to this site (but not to slugging, or HOV) and I had never heard of it until the Post article. But when posters on this site are quoted in the Washington Post urging policy changes that will affect my life, why wouldn't I want to engage in the discussion? After all, "these comments are read by those who can and will make a difference and by many others, and some changes have occured because of them. The squeeky wheel gets the oil." Why should your squeak be the only one heard?

Besides, if you get your way, all those Hybrid owners are going to be slugging anyway, right? So they have a vested interest in what goes on here, one way or the other.
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:32pm
Just remember, there's more of us (slugs) than there is of them (cheaters and hybrid owners). MAJORITY RULES!
endhov View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote endhov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 6:19pm
…well said Buster, Keep on squeakin'!

quote:
If you dont use the HOV lanes then why are you on this site. This great "at home" job must not keep you very busy.

I'm a computer graphic artist in print advertising and 3d animation, as well as video editing and production. My great "at home" job keeps me very busy and very well paid, Mr. tri2dc. Who the hell are you to make such a comment!

And if you need a clue as to why I’m on this forum, there is a little document you may have heard of called The US Constitution. It’s on display at the National Archives, you might want to read it. It gives me the same right to do what you are doing: making a point in public forum.

And aside from that, Mr. tri2dc, please show me anywhere on this web site that states I have to be presently using HOV in order to comment on it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic