Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids, Exemption, et al.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybrids, Exemption, et al.
    Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 1:36pm
I did a lot of research before buying my hybrid. And yes, the key reason for my purchase was the ability to drive in HOV to work. It has shaved nearly 50% from my commuting time - thus improving my quality of life. Thank God that in America, we still get choices, and isn't it great that at the same time I can save fuel, too!

I would pick up slugs, but apparently nobody is interested in a slug line to/from Stringfellow off of I-66, so that wasn't an option for me. I carpooled off-and-on for about 3 years, but my schedule is so variable that it doesn't make good sense.

But to correct some misconceptions, visit the following web sites:

http://dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/cleanspecialfuel.asp
http://www.virginiadot.org/comtravel/hov-rulesfaq.asp

Interestingly, the DMV specifically told me that the new Escape and Accord were not eligible for the Clean Fuel plates, and thus not eligible for HOV1. They said the same would be true of the upcoming Lexus. The Honda dealer I bought my Civic from said they had a lot of very upset Accord buyers who are not able to get CF tags. I'd be curious if the Escape lady above is on a CF plate.

According to the DMV and a friend I have at EPA, the aim is to reduce emissions. Congestion creates emissions, and will have to be reviewed in the future. I fully expect the exemption to be lifted in 2006 - and figured that into my purchase. Those of you counting on an immediate revokation, however, obviously don't understand the workings of a beauracracy. It's done, and nothing will happen beofre July, 2006. Period.

But what about going the other way -- the pollution created in the traffic jams is from NON-SULEV's. How about we make them clean fuel lanes regardless of the number of passengers? That way, when there was a back up, there would be ZERO pollution from congestion, versus what we have today - monster trucks spewing filth all over the place - even if it is on behalf of 2 or 3 people.. All hail the CFV Lanes! Would, incidentally, also be a lot easier to police for plates than people..

Thanks for indulging me.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

Carry on whining.

-Billybob.
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:39pm
billybob,
Don't you know that almost every car on the road that is fairly recent has very low emissions? Many have lower emissions than most of the hybrids with their fancy CF plates on the road today, especially the hybrids from 2+ years ago.
billybob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 4:53pm
Ah yes.. But..

How many of those achieve 50+ MPG regularly (if driven properly)?

How many of those emit NOTHING at a stop because they turn off at idle?

How many of those do you regularly see traveling in the HOV lanes?

I see a whole lotta SUV's friend.

Cheers.
n715tm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n715tm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 5:06pm
The Ford Escape Hybrid is approved for Clean fuel plates since 12/6/04. I own a Escape Hybrid and per the DMV my plates will be here next week
billybob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 5:11pm
Sorry 'bout that... I was looking just before that. I still feel bad for all those guys that shelled out $30K+ for the Accords.....

They should add the Escape to the online list at the link I provided

-Billybob
billybob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billybob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2005 at 5:29pm
Sorry 'bout that... I was looking just before that. I still feel bad for all those guys that shelled out $30K+ for the Accords.....

They should add the Escape to the online list at the link I provided

-Billybob
Dick C View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2005 at 2:54am
I'm a hybrid owner who regularly uses 66 for my commute to the Pentagon. It has reduced my commute time by nearly half. I'm very upset by the proposals to stop the exemption allowing the use of HOV lanes by hybrid owners. What a lot of people do not understand about the hybrid vehicles is the Honda Insight, Civic Hybrid, and Toyota Prius all have an SULEV rating from the EPA. What is that? To qualify for the SULEV rating, a vehicle must produce less than 1/30th (a 97 percent reduction) the emissions of the current federal standard for some pollutants. So, in addition to averaging around 45 miles per gallon, I'm helping to get rid of greenhouse gasses -- the largest cause of global warming.

One auto testing organization found fewer pollutants in the exhaust of a hybrid than were in the ambient air! So, yes we get the privilege of using the HOV lane because we don't pollute in the same way the other cars do. People ought to be glad I bought a $23,000 Civic, but instead, most of them give me the finger when I ride in HOV.

n715tm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n715tm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2005 at 9:51pm
Do what I do with people that are not mature enough to contain their emotions and have to resort to hand signals. Call the State Police and report their license plate number as an aggressive driver.
Dick C View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2005 at 12:22am
n715tm... I deduce from your post that you purchased a Ford Escape Hybrid. I looked at one Friday night. $35K is kinda pricey and the fuel economy estimate was only 19 city, 25 highway. That's what I used to get on my Mercedes ML320 SUV I traded in on my Civic. I was surprised too that you are getting clean special fuel plates. The salesman at Ted Britt Ford told me that the Escape, the Accord, and the GMC hybrids weren't going to qualify for the plates because their mileage isn't high enough. Was he wrong?
n715tm View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n715tm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2005 at 8:11am
I do own a Escape Hybrid. I have the front wheel drive version and paid $28K for it at Sheehy Ford. I was told by the dealer that Mr. Sheehy had been potitioning Mark Warner to allow the American made Escape to be eligible for the Clean Fuel plates.

When I spoke to the DMV last week the confirmed that my truck has been titled as a Hybrid vehicle and the plates should arrive next week. I will update when I actually have the plates in my hand.

As far as the fuel milage goes I am averaging after my 4th tank full of gas 32 mpg. I think California is the only state that mandates a certain mpg must be met. Virginia only cares if it is titled as a Hybrid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic