Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHybrids, Exemption, et al.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2005 at 11:09pm
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]And tonight around 5:00 p.m. I counted a total of 6 hybrids in the 95 South HOV lanes between Springfield and Dumfries. On the other hand, I counted 22 violators. 8 were driving SUVs, 10 were driving 4 door commuter type cars, 2 were driving 4 door luxury cars, 1 was driving a truck and FINALLY, 1 was driving an Audi TT ... TWO SEATER. None were pulled over. All gambled and won. Not tough to do when enforcement is as minimal as it is.

The Audi TT is legally a 4 seater. It has a backseat and there could be a person in it without you ever seeing them. I'll admit it would be tight, but its possible(child seat?). Also, aren't you driving? How do you keep and accurate count and deal with tinted windows and not getting a good view inside SUVs?
Since we keep getting all of these informal surveys I want to repeat what some hybrid defenders used to tell people when they counted hybrid cars and complained. Personal observations are unscientific and get a survey with real numbers before you make conclusions. Then come back and we'll listen.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2005 at 6:38am
Not B.S. Maybe yesterday was an anomaly ... but I rode in the right lane at between 55-60 mph, the entire ride. I didn't even TRY to count those that passed me with tinted windows. As Wagonman stated, personal observations are completely unscientific, but I assure you I'm not making up my count. I had planned to count starting at Springfield and kept tick marks for each I saw. To most, I waggled my finger and most of those .... LAUGHED. I will say that after the waggle, a few of them exited at the next available exit.

>>This is B.S. There's little chance you passed/were passed by that number of HOV legal cars between Springfield and Dumfries. Every 4th car is a hybrid at 5PM, and maybe 1 in 10-15 are violators.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2005 at 7:37am
quote:
Originally posted by ScarletLSG
[br]Not B.S. Maybe yesterday was an anomaly ... but I rode in the right lane at between 55-60 mph, the entire ride. I didn't even TRY to count those that passed me with tinted windows. As Wagonman stated, personal observations are completely unscientific, but I assure you I'm not making up my count. I had planned to count starting at Springfield and kept tick marks for each I saw. To most, I waggled my finger and most of those .... LAUGHED. I will say that after the waggle, a few of them exited at the next available exit.

>>This is B.S. There's little chance you passed/were passed by that number of HOV legal cars between Springfield and Dumfries. Every 4th car is a hybrid at 5PM, and maybe 1 in 10-15 are violators.

Well, if the next exit was Horner there was a kindly State Trooper waiting to greet them with open (arms/ticket book)...

- Will
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2005 at 7:52pm
If you said it was close to 6PM, then I'd believe you. But at 5PM there are few violators. There's no way in the world that you were passed by a couple of hybrids, and over a dozen violators, at 5PM. Not possible.
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2005 at 9:17pm
I can assure you that I am not making it up.

quote:
Originally posted by MDC
[br]If you said it was close to 6PM, then I'd believe you. But at 5PM there are few violators. There's no way in the world that you were passed by a couple of hybrids, and over a dozen violators, at 5PM. Not possible.

Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 1:50pm
In case you didn't catch the Washington Post editorial on Sunday in which they advocate ending the HOV exemption for hybrids.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12607-2005Jan15.html
getmehome pweeze View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote getmehome pweeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 3:38pm
Thanks Bob. DAMN THE HYBRIDS!! I passed 5 in a flipping row this morning.

:'}
Dick C View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 3:56pm
I really get tired of this "damn the hybrids" attitude! This morning, I was followed for 7 miles in the HOV lane of I-66 outside the beltway by an older maroon-colored Honda Accord with a single occupant. He shamelessly rode my bumper in my Civic Hybrid and not a single cop was anywhere in sight. He continued on 66 inside the beltway and I was certain that someone would spot him, but NO. Not only was he there by himself, but I was passed by seven other vehicles all with single occupants and none were hybrids. One had diplomatic plates... I guess he can do whatever he chooses. But at 8:10 a.m. the single woman in the older green Civic... the guy in his Chevrolet Malibu... the guy in the maroon Grand Prix (VA tags H82DIT), among others, shouldn't have been there! No law enforcement people anywhere and nobody complaining about the people who flaunt the law... all anybody complains about is us hybrid drivers....
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 4:35pm
Dick, did you buy your hybrid for the HOV exemption? If so, there's you answer. While your typical HOV violator cruises the lanes knowing that he/she could be popped for being stupid, so their numbers remain semi-limited, hybrid drivers running solo clog up the HOV lanes smugly knowing they can't be touched, and their numbers are increasing. And since hybrids are driving in the HOV contrary to Federal law, it ruffles more feathers of the truly law-abiding HOV driver.

The point so many slugs in this forum are trying to make is if hybrid drivers are going to be driving in the lanes anyways, why can't they do the right thing and pick up some riders? Hybrids supposedly get their best mileage in stop-and-go traffic, so why do they need to be in the free-flowing HOV lanes? Take the hybrid back into the traffic lanes and take advantage of the enhanced MPG you (collectively) love to flaunt in the faces of SUV and other drivers.
Dick C View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2005 at 5:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by ronin718
[br]Dick, did you buy your hybrid for the HOV exemption? If so, there's you answer. While your typical HOV violator cruises the lanes knowing that he/she could be popped for being stupid, so their numbers remain semi-limited, hybrid drivers running solo clog up the HOV lanes smugly knowing they can't be touched, and their numbers are increasing. And since hybrids are driving in the HOV contrary to Federal law, it ruffles more feathers of the truly law-abiding HOV driver.

The point so many slugs in this forum are trying to make is if hybrid drivers are going to be driving in the lanes anyways, why can't they do the right thing and pick up some riders? Hybrids supposedly get their best mileage in stop-and-go traffic, so why do they need to be in the free-flowing HOV lanes? Take the hybrid back into the traffic lanes and take advantage of the enhanced MPG you (collectively) love to flaunt in the faces of SUV and other drivers.

Yes, one of the reasons I bought my hybrid was for the HOV exemption. It is also one of the principal reasons I bought my current home last May, two blocks from the Stringfellow Road HOV entrance ramp to I-66. I would be happy to pick up riders as I travel each day to the Pentagon and many commuters go that way; however, there are no slug lines or organized pickup points near the Stringfellow Road entrance to 66, and I would need to go miles out of my way to get to one to pick up riders before I could get on 66 if the exemption for hybrid use of 66 is not extended.

By the way, it is NOT against Federal law for hybrids to use HOV... Virginia was given a special exemption by the Congress as part of a highway bill to permit HOV use by hybrids and that exemption ends in July 06. California was seeking a similar exemption, and was supposed to begin HOV use by hybrids this month, but the Federal Government put the matter on hold pending further study. Virginia must decide whether to seek an extension of the exemption and so far they are not leaning that direction.

I think that the number of hybrid vehicles purchased will drop to nada if the HOV privilege goes away and the automobile manufacturers and dealers know it. I would expect that they, as well as hybrid owners, will lobby HARD for the HOV exemptions for hybrid cars.

If carpool riders hate the hybrids sharing the HOV lanes, perhaps the way to handle the situation is the way that California was going to do it -- by lottery. California was proposing to issue 70,000 window decals to hybrid owners and only those vehicles are supposed to be able to use HOV. Another way that Virginia could cut down on the number of hybrids using HOV is to make them live by the letter of the law... in order to be eligible to use HOV in a hybrid vehicle, the car MUST have Clean Special Fuel plates -- something the dealer never told me when I bought my car in January 2003. Instead, he offered to transfer my personalized Vietnam Vet tags to my car. Technically, I could be given a ticket at anytime by law enforcement as I am using HOV illegally. To ensure I am within the letter of the law, I have just purchased CF plates. One other way that Virginia could solve the problem would be to make certain HOV lanes hybrid-only, and others carpool/vanpool only. For example, why not make I-66 hybrid only and make I-395/95 carpool/vanpool only? Granted that would make me happy while pissing off a lot of folks who have hybrids and commute from Lake Ridge, Woodbridge, Fredricsburg, Quantico, Triangle, etc., but, it would provide a distinct route into the district for hybrid owners and there are ways to connect to 66 from 95 via the Prince William and Fairfax Parkways.

Just a couple of thoughts. I gave up my Mercedes ML320 SUV for my Honda Civic hybrid. My Mercedes was costing me more than $50 a week in gas and getting only 18-19 mpg. (It runs on premium fuel, too.) That cost would have been MUCH higher this past summer at the height of the gas price hikes. I gave up a luxury SUV for my Civic to be able to use HOV, to be more fuel efficient, and more environmentally friendly. There are still a lot of SUVs on the road and nobody seems to be subjecting their drivers to a lot of abuse, even if they don't pick up slugs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic