Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

An email from Michelle McQuigg :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An email from Michelle McQuigg :(
    Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 2:54pm
del_mcquigg@house.state.va.us to (bcc:me)
Show options 1:28pm (1 hour ago)

I thought that you'd be interested in the following bills. More bills may
be introduced next week.

Best Wishes,
Michèle

HB99 High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; abolishes 'sunset' on
vehicles bearing clean fuel license
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb99
HB1106 High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; abol. sunset prov. on
use by vehicle bearing clean spec. fuels
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1106

HB1528 High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; prohibits use; certain
trucks and tractor-trailer combinations
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1528
HB1531 High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; allows use for emergency
vehicles
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1531
HB1574 High-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes; limits use by certain
law-enforcement vehicles
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb1574
HB2849 Clean special fuel license plates
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=hb2849
SB1264 HOV lanes
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?ses=051&typ=bil&val=sb126
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2005 at 2:58pm
Ok reading a little more basically...

1. Hybrids will forever be able to go on the HOV lanes
2. As of July 2005, they will no longer be issuing clean fuel plates
3. No more trucks / tractor trailers
4. Only emergency vehicles responding to an emergency
5. Only Sherrif, and VA state are allowed on the HOV lanes
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2005 at 9:20am
Alright guys, the decision isnt't entirely up to our clueless legislature. The Federal Highways Administration is going to force the issue and the fed will win. Right now FHWA is on our side as are the editorial boards of the major papers and the studies put forward by the HOV Task Force. We also need to put some steel in the backs of our US House members to help, as they will be voting on the surface transportation bill in the coming months which will settle this issue once and for all. Contact Congresswoman JoAnn Davis (202-225-4261), Congressman Tom Davis (202-225-1492), and Congressman Frank Wolf (202-225-5136)and let them know of your opposition to hybrids in the HOV lanes and ask that they support FHWA in their current position.
Road Warrior View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2005 at 9:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by cedarcitynative
[br]Snip...We also need to put some steel in the backs of our US House members to help, as they will be voting on the surface transportation bill in the coming months which will settle this issue once and for all. Contact Congresswoman JoAnn Davis (202-225-4261), Congressman Tom Davis (202-225-1492), and Congressman Frank Wolf (202-225-5136)and let them know of your opposition to hybrids in the HOV lanes and ask that they support FHWA in their current position.

In addition to calling each members Washington Office, I suggest we write each of the House members at their Washingon offices (listed below) they all have constituents who use the HOV lanes on both 95 and 66.

I have included Congressman Jim Moran (Arlington/Alexandria) and Congressman Eric Cantor (Richmond area) as they also have constituents who are being and will continue to be affected by the continuing congestion in the HOV lanes.

Congresswoman Jo Ann Davis
1st Virginia Congressional District
U.S. House of Representatives
1123 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Tom Davis
11th Virginia Congressional District
2348 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4611

Congressman Frank Wolf
10th Virginia Congressional District
241 Cannon Building
Washington, DC 20515

Congressman Jim Moran
8th Virginia Congressional District
2239 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515-4608

Congressman Eric Cantor
7th Virginia Congressional District
329 Cannon Building
Washington, DC 20515

Seeing as snail mail/UPS/FedEx/USPS Express Mail has to be irradiated before it is delivered to the office, for those who want an immediate impact other than calling the office, you can email your House representative by going to this link http://www.house.gov/writerep and following the directions. I would recommend drafting whatever you want to say first in a word processing program and then copying/pasting it into the comment block of the comments window.

Just my $.02 worth...

John
cedarcitynative View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cedarcitynative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 8:16am
John,

Possessing such detail, you must work on the Hill?!
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 2:04pm
I got a note from Delegate McQuigg and she clarified for me her proposed bill. In it, the 2006 expiration remains in place. But in ADDITION, no NEW tags issued after mid 2005. This bill is GREAT!!!!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 3:03pm
McQuigg's bill is the best, fairest solution: don't issue new tags, let the old ones expire when we told people they would. BUT, it depends on the police enforcing the TAGS, not just the type of car. That can be a bit tougher on them. Still, it's only for another 17 months.

You all know the Sponge is the enemy of the Smug, and I look down my long yellow nose at their self-righteous and insupportable claims of being more environmentally sound than the rest of us. They've had their window for a free ride, their nice reward for the extra money they shelled out, and now it is time for it to end. So shut up about clean air.

Ask a Smug sometime if they were motivated by the clean air or the free HOV usage? Hypocrits. Whiny, anti-social, smug and lazy hypocrits. Here's a question for all you High-Bred Smugs: why the Sam Hill didn't you buy a house near a Metro station if you're so all-fired Green? (Forgive me, I digress.)

McQuigg's bill is commonsensical, fair, balanced, lite and tasty, and makes great use of my favorite word, Wherefore. So let's get it enacted and remember that the REAL war is on the horizon.

Come on, Mr. Fluor Corporation, bring it on!

(You know, my posts make more sense when read in a cartoon voice. Just a hint.)
Man of Reason View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man of Reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 4:06pm
I would encourage all hybrid owners to contact these same representatives noted in this thread to let them know that you are STRONGLY in favor of HB 99 and 1106.

Also note that although the "FHWA" may be against hybrid - 1 in hov (although I kind of feel cedercitynative is exagerating here) , Congress and the Bush Administration is in favor of legislative language that gives states the authority to make this determination.

MESSAGE TO ALL HYBRID OWNERS THAT TRACK SLUG-LINE:
Please implore all hybrid owners you know to monitor this site...If the Washington Post is going to use this one-sided forum as a barometer re: sentiment toward hybrids, then please make a statement here in favor of continued hybrid/hov use in addition to contacting your fed/state representatives.

Recently, I sent the following letter to my state/federal representatives:

I am a resident of Stafford County and was hoping to get an update on where any current or proposed legislation stands regarding extending the hybrid vehicle exemption on HOV lanes in Virginia, which ends after July 1, 2006. I am a strong advocate of extending the hybrid exemption in one form or another. It has given me and thousands of other residents in Virginia the ability to participate in family & community activities that would otherwise be missed (e.g. children after school activities & games, community association meetings) while continuing to work a (fairly) normal work day. In addition, the environmental impact of replacing high MPG/ultra low emission vehicles with ¡§clean fuel¡¨ substitutes, both socially and in terms of its impact on the environment, has been extremely beneficial to Northern Virginia as a whole. Has there been any other environmental law passed in recent memory that has met its objective so effectively??
That said, I understand the need to keep HOV lanes moving in order to maintain our current commuting system. And I am aware of recent recommendations made to VDOT by the Virginia transportation task force appointed to assess the state of HOV lanes with Hybrid use (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54561-2005Jan6.html). In light of the above, I believe some compromise positions/rule changes regarding the exemption for hybrids should STRONGLY be considered instead of eliminating completely one of the most effective pieces of environmental legislation in Virginia history;

„« Consider moving to HOV ¡V 2 for Hybrids. This would effectively eliminate the incentive on I-66 but it¡¦s a compromise to the HOV ¡V 3 rule for non-hybrids on I ¡V 95. In this way, the State would still be offering an incentive to its residents to continue the purchase of clean fuel technology. As a hybrid owner, it would be an additional inconvenience but one I think is worth it in order to continue this incentive. It would also put Virginia in compliance with Federal rules regarding use of HOV lanes;

„« Consider adding an MPG stipulation that hybrids must meet/exceed 48 mpg city/51 highway. There are a number of new hybrids coming on line in the next two years. While they are ULEV and have higher MPG relative to other vehicles in their class, they do not meet the MPG standards set for current hybrids allowed in HOV lanes. Note that California has made similar adjustments to their hybrid and HOV rules (To qualify for the CA state-level HOV and toll breaks, hybrid cars have to get at least 45 miles per gallon and meet strict emission standards. It also sets a limit on the total number of exemptions);

„« Consider extending HOV hours in order to distribute traffic more evenly, in conjunction with other changes recommended;

„« Discontinue exemptions for single passenger vehicle use of HOV lanes through the Springfield Interchange (¡§Mixing Bowl¡¨). This exemption was instituted to facilitate travel while the Interchange was under construction. Now that it is mainly completed, the exemption is no longer warranted or needed;

„« Intensify the States (and regions) telecommuting campaign, particularly with the Federal Government. The bottom line in the Metropolitan Washington region is that employment and population will grow above the national average over the next 10 years (and beyond) and our commuting system cannot accommodate current transportation demands let alone those brought on by future growth in the region (not to mention the additional environmental impact this will have). The technology is readily available to allow for a secure work environment at home (for 1 or 2 days a week. I believe you still need to be in the office the majority of the time). The potential benefits are endless and make miniscule the potential risks involved (e.g. benefits include lower costs to the government, decentralization of work makes the area a ¡§harder target¡¨ for terrorists to attack and of course the numerous benefits of having fewer commuters on the road). Yet Federal agencies continue to stonewall employee requests off-site work arrangements.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

shirons View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shirons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 4:18pm
McQuigg's bill is fine, but what's the real motive behind it? She's a staunch supporter of HOT Lanes. I would guess Flour and Clark would rather not have to deal with CF vehicles in regards to giving them a free ride. I'm sure they want to make sure the Hybrid single rider benefit expires on time in 2006. Slowing down or rather eliminating the tags is the first step in making sure that happens.

Be careful what you wish for.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2005 at 4:58pm
Thanks, Scott, for pointing out where McQuigg stands. But is she really a stooge for Fluor? I don't know. I think the compromise in her bill is the best available. In the meantime, in this forum, let us continue the hybrid debate with Mr. Reason. (Not a bit smug, that name.)

1. What are you doing in Stafford, Mr. Greenjeans? If you are so so Green, you should live in Takoma Park. Then you could ride the Metro. Please. Don't act like you give a plug nickle for the environment. That's a flat-out hypocrisy.

2. If you're going to be "inconvenienced" by having one more rider in the car, is it so much worse to have 2 riders? No, I'd bet your wife rides in with you anyway, like the people in the CF-tagger in front of me as I left my subdivision this morning. Your argument at this point is looking rather weak. Why not pick up three? Why not? (By the way, only with three in a car is there security for slugs. But you don't know or care about that, do you?)

3. MPG stipulations? Do you really think that's fair? Wouldn't that exactly defeat the very thing you Smugs clamor for, more CF autos? Or are you only interested now in protecting your own little investment, now that you've bought into the HOV lanes at everyone else's expense?

4. Yes, the hours should be extended, and it ought to be HOV-4, too. But it's become increasingly necessary to take these steps because of the congestion caused by the hybrids.

5. The Springfield issue was already taken care of in the Mixing Bowl plan, if you'd bothered to read the newspaper articles on it. They are going to keep that traffic off the HOV when the new ramps and exits are done. So, thanks for your free advice.

6. You and I are probably 100% in agreement on telecommuting. Lord, how I'd like to lie around Bikini Bottom all day rather than fight the hybrids to the spawning grounds. Nonetheless, increasing the SOV options, again, exactly defeats the pressure to fund and support telework.

In short, Mr. Reason, we've considered and dismissed all your ideas already. Please bring us something new.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic