Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedURGENT HELP NEEDED NOW - END HYBRIDS ON HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2005 at 2:12pm
quote:
Originally posted by Enrique Mahecha
[br]Hi Guys,

Let me understand, are you saying we should write to ALL, SOME, or just the legislators in our respective districts?

I seem to understand, it's being suggested to contact all of them, ideally. Is this correct?

Enrique

I took the time Friday and Saturday to do all.

Fuller Underwood II
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2005 at 4:40pm
To each his own. Form letters don't strike me as useful in shifting a legislator's mind. It becomes a numbers game for them: how many on this side, how many on that side.... Also, I think people who already have CF tags should get to use them til the agreed-upon drop-dead date. But I commend and applaud your effort.

But I get your point, so I'm active on the issue of Toll Roads, having spoken before the PWC Supervisors and attended the nascent anti-toll roads citizen's group meeting, along with about ten other people. I intend to contribute my best efforts to salvage as much of the current system as we can, though I rate our chances at less than 1 in 50.
Enrique Mahecha View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enrique Mahecha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 11:17am
Defender, SpongeBob,

I also congratulate you Defender! - letters, numbers... To me, considering that I have never been an activist (if I am using the right word), someone who engages and actually does something for a cause, such as Defender just did, doing something, rather than standing on the sidelines is a victory in itself! - because chances are, you will write another email and another one, and suddenly, you are involved. And to me, that is the challege, to bring people on the sidelines, and bring them into action. And I am not referring directly to Defender, because he maybe already involved in all kinds of stuff, but to others who read this stuff and might get inspired and join us.

For instance, again, I am not up on all the stuff that is going on, but I believe my VA Senator O'Brian, was actually sponsoring a pro-hybrids bill, and per McQuigg's email yesterday. He 'struck' it. I happened to have written and spirited email to him [:o)], I don't know if my email had any effect on him... But I feel "pretty good" about it .

It's much better to do something, thant to do nothing. don't you both agree?

E
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 3:14pm
quote:
Originally posted by Enrique Mahecha
[br]Defender, SpongeBob,

I also congratulate you Defender! . . .

Thank you, and I send the same for you.

There are some of us who know that you need to make the time and write, or take a day off at some point and go to Richmond and testify. It does influence people.

Specific to the Senate and Delegates, there are many who live south and west who do not know about the issue, or that it is so bad. Your e-mail will influence them. BTW, there is one that has phone or FAX only. Send a fax. It is harder and he uses that as the first screen.

Enrique Mahecha View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enrique Mahecha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 10:37am
Latest update from Michelle McQuigg. I am telling you this lady is beginning to win my hear :) she is active and is representing well so far. OK, SO WHO HAS IDEAS AS TO WHAT DEALERS SHOULD WE HIT?
===================================
Update on HB 2849. I had drafted some amendments to limit the
restrictions to just I-95. There were enough votes to reconsider the bill in committee; however, there were not enough votes to get it out of committee. The Virginia Automobile Dealers Association and the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers were busy lobbying the members of the committee.

What I did receive from representatives of the Association and the
Alliance were assurances that they would inform their members that the hybrid HOV exemption would expire on July 1, 2006 and for them to let customers know. I told them that I would have some secret shoppers go to the automobile dealers and find out if they are informing the public of the hybrid exemption expiration. If they were not, I would make at least one speech about it on the floor of the House.

As the goal is to not have more SOVs on the HOV, I thought that
informing people of the expiration would discourage them from buying the vehicles for the sole purpose of using the HOV lanes.

I need your help. Would you please visit an auto dealer in the next
week and a half and pretend to look at a hybrid and inquire if you could use it on the HOV lanes as an SOV? Please let me know to which dealership you went, when, who you spoke with and what they told you. This needs to me done now if I use the power of the floor of the House to change hybrid salesmen behavior. The General Assembly will adjourn in less than 3 weeks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Michèle
vabigblue View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vabigblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 10:01am
I slug out of Tacketts everyday around 6:15. I saw and rode in a Toyota hybrid this morning and the lady not only took two from the line, she took three. I don't know if that's a first, but, it sure did take me by surprise. Kudos to whoever she was.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 2:20pm
Curious about the total cost of owning an automobile?
http://about.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

Curious about the Northern Virginia 2020 Transportation Plan?
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/nova/nv2020/techdocs/docsects/17to1735.htm

Any comments from slugs on the forecast speed for HOV as compared to METRO? The report quotes METRO top speed, but not elapsed time. Contrast this with adding in waiting time for HOV but not for transit.

It is nice that slugs are contacting their local representatives. Might I suggest for more poliitcal effect that slugs begin contacting the Commonwealth Transportation Board?

If slugs don't comment on these planning reports, you can forget about slugging. Anti-jitney laws will be the end of slugs.

First, slugs will lose neighborhood parking, then they will lose time advantage as the reversible lanes are operated at capacity instead of free flow.

VDOT used to have a calculator to determine the cost savings of car pooling. That calculator was heavily biased toward buses and trains. Any comments from slugs on cost saving and time saving of slugging?

The greatest commodity in rush hour is empty seats in the cars of drive alones. Want to make a difference? Pusuade a drive alone to become a slug or to pick up slugs. Post something about slugs on the bulletin board at work. Find a more conventient meeting place for slugs.

Slugs rock!

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 2:29pm
If you do write a delegate outside Prince William County, you might point out that northern Virginia is the elephant in the tent.

Building enough roads so northern Virginia commuters can drive alone will eat up Virginia's transportation budget. No money left to even fix potholes in Blacksburg. Or if the state really wants to spend that kind of money, they could invest in local businesses that generate less traffic, or at least shorter trips.

Slugs have cracked the code on how to cooperate for a faster commute. Why hide that knowledge? Recruit a driver alone!

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 3:14pm
If you are really ambitious, you might include Virginia State Police on your pro HOV mailing list.

Most police can't afford to live in northern Virginia. Most of the Troopers that patrol Shirley Highway are from some other part of the state. Shirley Highway and the Beltway may be the first congested highways that they have ever seen.

Police have not been trained in the nuances of free flow traffic. They have more likely been indoctrinated in capacity flow.

Police have no incentive to enforce occupancy requirements. Reversible Shirley is dangerous for random stops. There has been one fatality of a trooper enforcing HOV rules. There may be some hesitancy to enforce something that does not seem to be worth while. Read "worth while" as guidance from on high. On high being Richmond, not the local Barracks.

Alternate locations of enforcement would be safer. Also recruiting local police to enforce would help.

But all that is moot if there aren't enough slugs to fill the seats and not enough drivers to pick up slugs.

Recruit a slug a day. Get enough slugs and ALL the lanes will flow freely. Not just the reversible lanes.

Police do have a lot of pressure from the drive alones to open up Shirley reversible lanes first come first serve.

Police also have lot of pressure to squash slugs in favor of transit.

For instance Braeburn Drive in Fairfax County could be better served by slugs than METRO buses. For the amount of subsidy given METRO, people could even be paid to ride as slugs.

A voice crying in the wilderness.

dickboyd@aol.com
nashiggy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nashiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2005 at 7:54am
hybrids should have to have 3 people also!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic