Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cell Phone Etiquette Reminder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 8:37am
Ah, Tri, I envy you. So often I have wanted such a device, but they are denied as illegal to us mere mortals in this country. What's a slug to do? I've considered eating beans at lunch everyday to be loaded for revenge, but I don't want to further distress the poor driver's senses.
Road Warrior View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 12:38pm
quote:
Originally posted by JiggaJynx
[br]Ah, Tri, I envy you. So often I have wanted such a device, but they are denied as illegal to us mere mortals in this country. What's a slug to do? I've considered eating beans at lunch everyday to be loaded for revenge, but I don't want to further distress the poor driver's senses.

JJ,

You may try to "foul" the air with remenants of your lunchtime repast but you fail to remember that the driver controls the power window function and the heat and cooling controls.

Added to these factors is the normal movement of outside air through the vehicle interior as part of the car moving down the road will move any objectionable odors to the rear of the vehicle.

The driver can expedite the movement of these odors by cracking the rear passenger-side window to draw the odor to the rear of the car thereby "killing" the rear passenger as the smell flows through his/her window. Or if you are sitting in the rear seat, you may just have to sit there and "stew in your own juices" until a whiff makes it way to the driver's nose.

So, eat to your heart's content, but remember that if you get in my car and try to bless me with lunch leftovers, I may repay in kind and I know that my f@arts don't stink.[}:)]

John
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 1:49pm
Funny how everything's reducible to a mundane bodily function. You all are too much!

I'm sad though, because Sponges can only, you know, make bubbles.
Road Warrior View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Warrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 1:54pm
quote:
Originally posted by SpongeBob
[br]Funny how everything's reducible to a mundane bodily function. You all are too much!

I'm sad though, because Sponges can only, you know, make bubbles.

And of course, they absorb odors...[:0]

John
tri2dc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tri2dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 4:00pm
Dear SpongeBob,

You are so square and ofcourse that makes you pretty cool. I'm starting my own commuting theme park, do you have any ideas for the names of the rides?

Hugh Doseldorf, Triangle VA
KatieM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2005 at 12:42am
Here's one for you, sans fart stuff: Chick rider in the front seat gets in at Tackett's on Thursday a.m. Her phone rings before we get on Old Bridge to run down to 95. She starts talking to what I could only assume was a boyfriend. She's giggling and whispering (can't hear all in the back seat). When we finally get down to the 123 intersection, she tells who she's cooing to that she has to "let you go now." After a few more giggle-snorts she says, "I love youuuuu - bye!"

I mistakenly thought she would have said to the driver, "I'm so sorry...my boyfriend...he's...you know...tee-hee-hee!" Instead, she just flipped her phone down. THEN she proceeded to cough and blow her nose the rest of the trip!

The driver never did a thing. I was sitting in the back listening to her cough, snort and blow her nose AFTER she got done talking with her boyfriend. All I could think was "THANK YOU! You f'ing B!" I really wasn't worried about getting her germs at the time, as I'd been out of the country and had come down with a head and chest thing on day two while I was there. Took a week to get over, but the thing is: I've talked about this before in another post. If you're sick, stay home if you can. It's unfair to think that just because you feel you have to (or can) haul your ass to work, you can infect the rest of us with your cold or flu. We don't know, when we first come upon the car, that there's a sick person in there - be it rider or driver.

The news people are even saying it now: If you're sick, stay home. PLEASE think of others! We all have family and don't need to be trapped in a car with a sick driver or a sick rider.
JK 14 n G View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK 14 n G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 1:08pm
I don't mind the quick conversations that slugs or drivers have, but sometimes folks just cross the line! I've run into a lot of drivers lately who have no problem answering their phones or making calls while theyve got slugs in the car! These folks aren't even using hands-free devices! It's easy as a driver or as a slug to address an offending slug about cell phone use, but a lot harder to ask the driver to end a conversation!

Also, if your business isn't done for the day, don't leave your office!! Stop making appointments and scheduling your meetings when youre on your way home!! Your time in the car is to sleep, read, or listen to your quiet music-NOT for conducting business you were too busy to finish before you left!!

Let's fill up the Rt. 17 lot and ease up on Mine Rd.!!
Hopeful View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopeful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2005 at 6:03pm
I had an emergency last week and had to make a call just as I was pulling up to 14th and NY to pick up some slugs. Unfortunately, since they had seen me on my phone in DC, I suppose they thought it was a free-for all. BOTH slugs got out their phones and proceeded to talk the whole way home. Now the one in the back just called to check on her kids, and that was fine, but the one in front was oud and obnoxious, and the fact that I hung up and turned my radio up just made him talk louder. The conversation had to do with "how he do" and he kept calling the woman "Baby" so I know it wasn't urgent, but I felt like I couldn't say anything since he had seen me on the phone first. I don't feel like I own my car when slugs are in it. :( I was scared to say something to him and have him get snippy. I was already worried and tense about my emergency, I didn't think I could take him on top of that. I was so glad when he got out.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 1:17pm
As a driver I would NOT have tolerated that loud, long conversation. You could have prefaced your request for him to cease and desist his phone call by mentioning your emergency. YOU are the car owner and should not be distracted by anyone in the car. Driving safely is your most important function. As soon as a phone is whipped out you should state that the call should be less than one minute. These people could have called home BEFORE they got into a car.

And as a non-cell phone owner - what difference in the world is it to tell a family member that you got picked up???!!! You're not going to get to them any sooner! They KNOW that you slug and the approximate time that you would arrive home or to pick someone up already. I guess when you have those expensive plans everyone feels that you have to use up every minute on something and annoy the rest of us.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2005 at 1:17pm
Hopeful: I understand the hesitancy to say something because in the past I have and it is the rare person that apologizes and immediately hangs up. More times than not, the person does get snippy. My take on this is that a rider who enters another person's vehicle and carries on a conversation is inconsiderate to begin with and the likelihood that the offender will all of a sudden understand his/her inconsiderate ways is nil. Plus, who wants to add more stress to the day by having to tell a grown person that he/she is behaving inconsiderately? As a sometimes rider I am totally embarrassed when another rider gets in a vehicle yapping away on the phone. As for you justifying why you were on the phone - not necessary. It is your car and it is a totally different matter to listen to someone you are giving a ride to carry on a non-emergency conversation. Because it is never pleasant dealing with such people, I really like the idea about having a sign in the window (or wherever) stating that no chit-chatting on cells phones is to take place in the car. It is too bad that the few clueless have to be tolerated (or educated) to avoid a confrontation, however, if the majority of us are on the same page (and if it works), the chatterers will go by the wayside, and to me the sign seems "gentler" (gentler for me, not the chatterer), than trying to verbally tell these "civilized" people to HANG UP ALREADY!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic