Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Get it together fellow slugs!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get it together fellow slugs!
    Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 3:10pm
So maybe it's just me, but when i'm waiting in line for a driver to come along and pick up slugs I am mindful of the people behind me and ask the driver if they mind taking any additional riders, ESPECIALLY when the line is long.[8)] But I understand that not everybody is as outgoing and comfortable with asking the driver for "favors", if you wanna call it that. So why is it that if I am in a line that is 30 deep and I am like the 10th person in line and the riders getting in the car don't ask if the driver can take an additional person but I do ask and they say yes and I head for the car, someone infront of me says "oh, well i'm waiting to go that way, i'm next"....well TFB [}:)], if you want the ride that bad you can ask for it. right? I mean I GUESS it isn't fair to "cut" in line (although I don't think of it that way in this situation [:X]), but if you want a ride, you need to speak up. Ok, that's all. [:0]
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 3:45pm
But cutting in line is exactly what that is. Many, many times I've seen people ask if a third can be taken, and it's almost never the person who would actually be getting into the car who is doing the asking. Ask away, as a way of helping the line in general. The quicker you get the front of the line into cars, the quicker you get into a car. We need to take care of each other, not race to see who can yell out "take a third?" loudest and quickest.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 3:53pm
I see this situation when I slug out of Horner (which is almost never). The slug line is usually very long, yet no one asks if they take a third to move the line along. One time I asked if they'd take a third thinking someone else can get it, but no one budged so I got in. Maybe it's just not practiced in certain lots? Luckily we don't have that problem at PM. I think it is kinda wrong to cut in front of others just cuz you got the guts or the idea to ask the driver. The supposed etiquette is that someone in the long line regardless of where they are standing can ask the driver if they'll take a third, then the next person in line takes that spot. Otherwise why bother being in the line at all.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 3:54pm
Yeah, you're right, but I guess my thing is really if you got the loud mouth to give me or anybody else attitude about going next then you should be able to ask if they can take a third. I KNOW i'm not the only one who feels this way - I have heard it in the line many times before...oh well.
PanaRican View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanaRican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 3:58pm
You're right too WBSlug7, I don't do it anymore since the second time that happened, but I noticed it in the line this morning and thought i'd mention it. It never hurts to ask. Since I have a loud voice anyway, these days if the driver can take a third I hollar it twice for everybody else in line before I jump in, lesson learned.
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 4:20pm
I think the problem I have is WHEN it's appropriate to use the "take a third" method. I know you should use it when either the line's very long or if the wait has been long and people are going to be late. But what defines a long line or long wait? Or what if you've waited a while and there's only two of you in line and if you hopped into the car you might leave the next slug waiting even longer to find a second slug? Then you've interfered with the next ride. I guess the rule of thumb is if it makes sense and won't disrupt the flow then do it.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
pb1974 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pb1974 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 4:40pm
There is a particular person at Horner who will yell out to the driver if they can take a 3rd, even if he is 20th (or further back) in line. I think this is excessive, as the individuals at the front of the line are better equipped to see if the driver has a car seat or luggage in the backseat that would preclude taking a 3rd. I know that this person grates on the nerves of many people in the line. In any event, I believe it is rude to jump in front of people who are going to the same destination as you, regardless of whether you are more assertive than they or not.

Btw, as long as we're on the subject of line etiquette, if you are behind someone who does the right thing by walking up to the cars waiting at the front of the line, don't jump into the 3rd car (for example) while the person in front of you is seeing where the first couple of cars are going. That is also unfair and rude.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 4:03am
Things must have changed since I retired. What I remember of slugs was that the drivers took as many passengers as they had seats or seat belts. Why stop at the minimum?

Slugs need a paid voice. Lines too long? The paid voice can recruit drivers or find new parking space.

dickboyd@aol.com
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 8:46am
In my experience, the thing that seems to be the most "right" thing to do would be to speak up, even if your 10th in line, if no one else will, but maintain line order as far as getting into vehicles. That way you're not cutting in line, but you're courage, or gumption, whatever you wanna call it, pays off because you're still enabling the line to go faster.

And, dickboyd, I think it depends on the situation. As a driver, if I see a whole ton of slugs in line and not too many cars, I'll take extra folks to help them out. If I see a line of slugs and sufficient drivers, I will take status quo and leave some passengers for the driver behind me. IMO, there are not too many people that actually oppose taking more people (esp. in the afternoons), but you just have to know how to gauge the situation.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 9:12am
Many times I've been near the front of the line and asked if a third could be taken only to have one or two in front of me jump in the car. I just make the comment that I stick my neck out by being bold enough to ask but some wimpy person gets the car. It doesn't happen often to get upset about. I've cut back on asking. From reading a lot of the messages on this sight I've learned that the drivers feel put upon and pressured when asked to take a third. Now I only ask if the weather is bad or we've waited excessively for a ride to a certain location which for me is 14th and L Sts. Yes, it is rude to cut in and I agree, someone waaaaaay back in line should not keep yelling about a third. Way too early for all that noise.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic