Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WARNING!!! My air bags were stolen!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jarheadj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WARNING!!! My air bags were stolen!!
    Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 5:41pm
I just have to relay what happened to me as a warning for others who park at the 610 lot (or for any other lot for that matter); I got back to the 610 lot around 4:30 on Fri only to find the sliding rear window on my truck open and my dash ripped to pieces. The only thing taken were my air bags!! Stereo was still in place; nothing else had been touched but they did a very "professional" job of removing my air bags. Part of me wants to put out tips on how to avoid this however I don't know of any way to avoid this. There are so many vehicles parked there and fm the hours of 8:30-4:30 there is very little traffic through these lots so a thief can have a field day if he wanted to. In retrospect, I should have known this might happen someday. Lets face it; these lots aren't secure however I feel the need to post this alert so that if you can find a way to safeguard your vehicle and prevent it happening to you the pls do so. After surfing the web; I find this avenue of theft is fairly common but I really don't want to see a trend here in our area. I hate to say it; but I'm going to return to walking to the mine road lot and leave my truck in the driveway (even though the damage is done) though I know most people don't have this luxury.
terratoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terratoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 7:14pm
In the Potomac News police briefs, they also report "Two air bags valued at $1,200 were stolen from a 1998 Honda at the intersection of William Johnson Lane and Allen Dent Road north of Dumfries between 5 p.m. Sunday and 8 a.m. Monday."

and

"Two air bags and a radiator assembly kit valued at $1,900 were stolen from a 2001 Honda in the 13900 block of Longwood Manor Court in Woodbridge between 10 p.m. Sunday and 2:30 p.m. Monday."

Apparently, it's either the same person/people or it's a popular trend right now.
ExecSec View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExecSec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2005 at 8:41pm
Wow! [:0] This is the first that I've heard of such a thing. And to think that I've been cautious about my stereo..... Thanks for the informative posting! I also park at Mine road.
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 3:53am
http://www.metroopensdoors.com/

Billion dollar budget for Washington METRO in 2006.

Does a resident of Fairfax County actually pay $78 per year in taxes for METRO operations? Do people from the rest of the United States actually pay that much for METRO?

Perhaps the people in flyover areas should reevaluate the wisdom of letting the country be governed by anyone NEAR the beltway. At least fiscally.

How do METRO costs compare to slugging?

METRO claims $0.72 operating subsidy per passenger. Possibly slugs should be paid $0.50 per ride? Maybe not in hard cash, but in better parking at both ends of the commute. But then slugs don't have capital costs.

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 3:57am
For what its worth. Safety features mandated by Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards add about $840 to the cost of a new car. About $400 of this is air bags. About $125 of this is seat belts. If people used their seat belts properly, they would not need air bags.

On an associated note, the high intensity lights, the xenon discharge lamps are a high theft item also. New Jersey even went so far as to sue one automobile manufacturer for not making the high theft lamps more secure.

So if METRO gets protected parking, why not slugs?

dickboyd@aol.com
WBSlug7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WBSlug7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 8:25am
Car theives aren't into stereo systems anymore. Yes, the new trend is airbags. They cost at least a thousand dollars to replace if yours ever gets deployed, so it's a hot commodity.

Forget Horner Rd, use Potomac Mills!
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2005 at 11:51am
Sorry, dick, but you are not correct to say that if a person uses a seatbelt correctly they are as safe as with an airbag. A seat belt does not cushion one's face from going into a steering wheel if you are sitting close, as some people do. If airbags did not reduce the severity of injuries, the insurance agencies would not have the actuarial numbers to offer reductions for their presence.

I was in a bad accident, t-boning a red-light-running car, and as I walked away with nothing but air bag dust on my clothes, I swore I'd never drive a car without one again. That was 1995.

Of course, one must wear one's seat belt at all times. I do, even in taxis or limos.

Finally, if you own a Honda, just leave your windows down to make it easier for the thieves. Why add a broken window to your troubles?
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 9:41am
You also have to be careful when your airbags get replaced. One article I read said that one person had their's replaced, but it didn't deploy when they had another accident. When the dealership investigated why, they found nothing but trash and foam filler where the airbag was supposed to be.
Baz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 10:03am
link doesnt work...
JiggaJynx View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JiggaJynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2005 at 12:32pm
Perhaps the site was down for a bit. Works on IE and Netscape.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic