Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horizontally Challenged Riders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horizontally Challenged Riders
    Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 12:33pm
If you are so horizontally challenged that you can't put a seatbelt on (or a close derivative there of) slugging is NOT for you. Please be considerate and drive yourself to work. I am tired of horizontally challenged riders wedging themselves in to cars they shouldn't be in.

J-Staff View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Staff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 1:14pm

If you are so horizontally challenged that you can't put a seatbelt on (or a close derivative there of) slugging is NOT for you. Please be considerate and drive yourself to work. I am tired of horizontally challenged riders wedging themselves in to cars they shouldn't be in.

[/I have been slugging for four years and can count on one hand the times when a seatbelt would not fit. I know my limits and pass up cars to the next person in line when in doubt. I have no problem with that, but do have a problem with someone trying to tell me that, "slugging is Not for me. Not everybody is 5' tall or wears a shirt with a 14 collar.]
Driver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 1:17pm
Fair enough. You are right. As long as you take the size of the car in to account I have no problem with that.

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 3:46pm
J-Staff, Darling, you can ride in my car anytime. On a similar note, I am 5'5', 120 lbs and I have been in cars that were extaordinarily uncomfortable and cramped. It's not often the person's size that is the problem - now-a-days it is the vehicle - too many are too small for carrying passengers. So, J-Staff, you keep right on slugging!!
Driver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 3:50pm
I would just like to add that I think you are the exception to the rule. I have people SQUEEZE in to my two door on a regular basis. I haven't turned anyone away yet, but I may have to do that some day. It isn't personal, but it's the vehicle is not designed for that.

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2002 at 4:14pm
I understand and you certainly have that right. Just please be gentle. Hope you all have a happy and safe July 4th.
mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2002 at 10:55am
I am large by any measure, whether it be horizontal, vertical, neck size, ego, whatever...but I don't seem to have much trouble with seatbelts. What's up with the diminishing headroom in American cars, though? Has anybody else noticed this? My head touches the headliner in almost every car. Sometimes I consider asking the driver to open the sunroof to let my melon protrude out the top.

Happy 4th to all.

Mike
Macey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2002 at 8:10am
Mycroftt - you are a riot! Anyway, I am 5'6" which isn't exactly gargantuan-size and I, too, have noticed more and more drivers showing up with cars that have low head room, particularly in the back. I have been in front and back sits that were unbelievably uncomfortable. At first I thought drivers that showed up with a back seat that only a child could sit up straight in were grossly inconsiderate. I'm hoping that they are really not so mean-spirited that they just don't care. Perhaps it just doesn't occur to them. (Of course, we all know that rare person who acts like he is paying for your child's college tuition just by giving you a ride, and the attitude that so what you have to ride with your caboose out the window and your foot in the glove compartment - it's a ride for goodness sakes!) There always seems to be folks willing to ride in them so I'm sure they will continue to participate in the slugging process. If you can't sit in a normal position, it is not a car suitable for passengers and I will pass on such a car every time. I come from Rt. 17 and by the time I would reach my destination, my neck was hurting in addition to extreme discomfort the whole way due to the impossibility of holding your head in it's normal position! For me, it just isn't worth the discomfort. I should also mention that I am both a rider and and a driver and would never consider bringing my smaller car on a day that I was driving.

vanran View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2002 at 2:06pm
quote:

I would just like to add that I think you are the exception to the rule. I have people SQUEEZE in to my two door on a regular basis. I haven't turned anyone away yet, but I may have to do that some day. It isn't personal, but it's the vehicle is not designed for that.

why are you driving a two-door? That's not a slug-friendly car anyway. ;-)

-a horizontally challenged driver who's actively working on reducing his aforementioned challenge.

nyy24 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nyy24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 10:18am
2-Door, 4-Door, hey, it's a free ride to work, I thought the whole concept of slugging was convienience, for the rider and the driver. A 2-Door is not slug friendly? For me, it's a ride, and I don't care what type of car or how big it is. That's just my opinion, like everyone said, you have a choice to pass up a car if you want to.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic