Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HOV-4
    Posted: 25 Feb 2005 at 12:23pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Hybrids aren't the whole problem - it's infantile to think so. Where do the hybrid drivers come from? If from regular lanes, then there should be easing of that congestion mess, and I certainly don't see it? If from slugs, then the commuter lots would have less cars, and I don't see that either. That leaves drivers who were picking up slugs before and now are not (possible) or just more people coming into the area commuting (probable). Clinton said "it's the economy, stupid." This is a case of "it's the increase in total numbers of commuters, stupid."

The way to lower the crunch has nothing to do with hybrid exemption, and everything to do with getting the total number of cars off the road. Why not focus the great energy of this forum to get the legislature to pay us (and our bosses) to have us work from satellite offices?

...In a perfect world maybe. This is not an option. By the time this legislation passes the HOV would consist entirely of Hybrids.
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 12:57pm
Hybrids aren't the whole problem - it's infantile to think so. Where do the hybrid drivers come from? If from regular lanes, then there should be easing of that congestion mess, and I certainly don't see it? If from slugs, then the commuter lots would have less cars, and I don't see that either. That leaves drivers who were picking up slugs before and now are not (possible) or just more people coming into the area commuting (probable). Clinton said "it's the economy, stupid." This is a case of "it's the increase in total numbers of commuters, stupid."

The way to lower the crunch has nothing to do with hybrid exemption, and everything to do with getting the total number of cars off the road. Why not focus the great energy of this forum to get the legislature to pay us (and our bosses) to have us work from satellite offices?
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2005 at 12:22am
If your only tool is a hammer, every problem has to look like a nail.

One problem with commuting in the DC area is that too many people have brought solutions without defining the problem. Too many solutions and only one problem.

Too many people have tried solutions without seeing what works here. The people that move here bring solutions from where they used to live. Solutions that are problems, not solutions. When in Rome do as the Romans. Except in northern Virginia. If from California, drive on the freeway. If from New York City, use METRO. If from Connecticut or Long Island, use VRE. If from anywhere else, sneer at slugs. [:(]

Cody Pfanstiehl brought us METRO which eventually became WMATA. Local jurisdictions discouraged picking up slugs at bus stops.

Slugs moved to existing church lots, bowling alley and theatre lots. Those parking spaces were preempted by more lucrative parking for shopping malls. People don't go to church as much or the church service is held in a school building. Loss of more slug parking.

Steve Roberts brought us VRE. More slug parking was preempted. Steve even asked van pool operators to provide transportation for visiting dignitaries. Insult to injury. Take the van operators bread and butter passengers and then ask for van support to take the marginal van passengers.

Developers were asked for proffers for parking at recreation centers. Starlit Swim Club closed as a result of County started recreation centers. Private clubs could not compete with a County operated facility. For slugs, the result was the loss of more parking. County facilties only had enough parking for the recreation. None for slugs.

Housing developers offered dedicated parking in places where houses could not be built in exchange for denser build on the remaining land. Counties agreed, but only if the parking were for VRE or government operated buses. No slugs allowed.

Buses were tearing up lightly built streets. Streets were widened and heavied up. No slug parking. Bus riders only. On some of those expensive streets not even bus riders are allowed to park.

Potomac Mills. No comment.

City of Fairfax. Slugs and dogs keep off the grass. No parking unless you own property in the City.

dickboyd@aol.com
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2005 at 9:52am
quote:
Originally posted by rale
[br]The success of the HOV is not for individual situations. I feel for you, . . .

quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]HOV-4 is not feasible. . . . with my two daughters, heading to North Springfield. . . .

Just think of all the people who use the HOV lanes during the off hours, or (and I shake my head as I say this) when VDOT opens it to all for an emergency (like a garbage truck dumping a load on 95 near Lorton), or other reason. When you have HOT you will have none of the FREE off-hour use.

You'll have only the ability to pay, unless you are just starting a carreer and have two children, and then the choice may be between formula or water at night.

Good luck to all you believe HOT will help anyone other than the rich. I already have my land in the Idaho panhandle.
rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 4:46pm
The success of the HOV is not for individual situations. I feel for you, but the success of the HOV rests on decisions made for the masses. If everyone's situation has to be taken into account, we might as well forget the whole system.

quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]HOV-4 is not feasible. We already have problems with HOV-3 to start with. At least I couldn't do it since I leave from the Woodbridge area with my two daughters, heading to North Springfield. It was very hard for me when I had my first child trying to find people heading to Springfield at that time, by not saying I didn't find people at all, that it will make my commute very difficult.

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 4:43pm
DITTO!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tonka Truck
[br]From a long time slug: "RESTORE HOV-4".

USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 2:09pm
What do they need window tags for? The registration decal in the window should be all the evidence they need. The only jurisdiction in Virginia that doesn't use those annoying decals is Virginia Beach, and I doubt there are many Virginia Beach residents using commuter lots in Prince William County, Manassas, or Manassas Park.

(I didn't say "county sticker" because the cities and towns use them too.)

quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]BTW, I saw the the recent BOCS meeting said that they are not sure they want to expand the 234 lot because it gets used by Non PWC residents.

Then there is a fairly simple solution at hand that is employed by the City of Manassas WRT non-city residents parking at the VRE station. They issue two types of window tags (for free), resident & non-resident, to be hung from r/v mirror. If you park w/o one (or in the wrong spot) stand by for a ticket (and they are aggressive about that).

PWC simply issues bonafide county residents a similar tag and puts up signs to the effect that non-county residents will be ticketed. I would imagine something could be linked to the county decal database for confirmation of residency (covering the non-VA military residents in PWC as well). Spaces in the lots would still be first-come-first-served, but at least one wouldn't be fighting non-county residents, if indeed that is a major problem at 234 (and probably Horner too).

- Will

wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]BTW, I saw the the recent BOCS meeting said that they are not sure they want to expand the 234 lot because it gets used by Non PWC residents.

Then there is a fairly simple solution at hand that is employed by the City of Manassas WRT non-city residents parking at the VRE station. They issue two types of window tags (for free), resident & non-resident, to be hung from r/v mirror. If you park w/o one (or in the wrong spot) stand by for a ticket (and they are aggressive about that).

PWC simply issues bonafide county residents a similar tag and puts up signs to the effect that non-county residents will be ticketed. I would imagine something could be linked to the county decal database for confirmation of residency (covering the non-VA military residents in PWC as well). Spaces in the lots would still be first-come-first-served, but at least one wouldn't be fighting non-county residents, if indeed that is a major problem at 234 (and probably Horner too).

- Will
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 7:42am
Oh, it's accessible from 123. Technically. It's just very poorly designed. The access points are bad, it's easy for traffic to back up - there's NOTHING convenient about it.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 9:04pm
fed up,
Thanks for the info. I don't go south on I-95 very often during the week. It's surprising to hear that such a large commuter lot isn't very convenient for many commuters - especially those who live in areas north of Potomac Mills near Occoquan, Woodbridge, and Dale City. Is it not accessible from Va 123? If not, what a shame. [:(]

Have a great long weekend, and Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic