Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by SpongeBob

CedarCityNative: forcing more people into fewer cars is THE WHOLE POINT OF HOV! [:)]

/quote]

Semantics, but using the word "forcing" will rouse the foes of HOV from as far away as New Jersey and California. Some will even get off their death beds to oppose HOV if it involves force.

HOV advocates will be pictured as hob nailed jack booted, pot helmeted thugs bayoneting people against their will into the car of a stranger that could well be the model for the next Megan's law.

Might I suggest "persuading"?

dickboyd@aol.com
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2005 at 6:53pm
Blivets, reverse blivets, packet switching and slugs.

Most of you have heard the terms. So here are definitions applied to the reversible lanes of Shirley Highway.

A blivet is five pounds of stuff in a three pound bag. Shirley Highway is a three pound bag trying to carry five pounds. VDOT is executing a blivet maneuver by trying to put five pounds in a three pound bag.

Traffic engineers concentrate on the number of cars.

NOT people, CARS.

Following the existing trend, by 2008, every eighth person will be required to drive two cars simultaneously and at the same time in order to get the passenger ratio below one person per car. [:)]

A lane of traffic will carry 1,500 to 1,800 vehicles per hour at the posted speed with predictable travel time. Transportation engineers insist this should be 2,400 vehicles per lane per hour at 75% of the posted speed with completely unpredictable travel times and one day in twenty of complete stand still. [}:)]

At least the engineers haven't asked for burnt offerings on that twentieth day. [xx(]

A reverse blivet is trying to fill a five pound bag with three pounds of stuff. The greatest commodity in rush hour is empty seats in the cars of the drive alones. Trying to fill a five passenger car with three people is a reverse blivet. [:D]

Packet switching is what computer networks use to move messages. Messages are cut up into packets and each packet is send via the fastest available route. Sorry, can't cut up people and reassemble them. But people can be disassembled from their cars and reassembled into another car with more passengers. Slugging might then be called packet switching to hide the true intent from the powers of darkness. [;)]

Traffic engineers call a change of transportation mode switching. So if you walk from the breakfast table to your car you have switched transportation modes from walking to driving. If you walk from your parking space to an elevator, that is a mode switch.

If you drive that car to a VRE or METRO lot then catch a train, engineers call that mode switching. If you drive your car to a slug lot and get into your neighbors car, that is considered criminal activity and is not to be tolerated. Shame on you for even thinking of using anything other than mass transit as a passenger. [8D]

The forces of evil are scanning computer e-mail even as we speak for the word s l u g. Whenever found, the FOE sends out lackeys to break up the insurrection. [:0]

dickboyd@aol.com
hondu View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hondu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 5:21am
"CAN YOU TAKE THREE?" What's the big deal? 75% of my rides in and out I pick up three riders - you know, long lines, bad weather, etc. But yes, it will also cause logistic concerns in the parking lots.

I think the answer is so obvious to all of us who correctly use the HOV lanes. SINGLE (OR DOUBLE) RIDER HYBRIDS AND PEACE OFFICERS - SHARE YOUR DAMN RIDE!
pplmvrs View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pplmvrs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 11:41am
Didn't it used to be HOV-4?
I thought when I was little it was HOV-4.
Anyone know?
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 11:49am
I started slugging from Potomac in 1988. It was HOV 4 for a while but my memory fails me on the year it went to 3. I do know that at that time there were many van pools and they were unhappy about the HOV 3. So, many people may not realize that there was slugging from PWC during HOV 4 rules. It did work but that was a different era.
emancilla View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emancilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 12:47pm
HOV-4 is not feasible. We already have problems with HOV-3 to start with. At least I couldn't do it since I leave from the Woodbridge area with my two daughters, heading to North Springfield. It was very hard for me when I had my first child trying to find people heading to Springfield at that time, by not saying I didn't find people at all, that it will make my commute very difficult.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 7:30am
HOV-4 worked very well from 1985-1989 to/from Springfield and the P'gon when I had my first DC tour. Came back for second tour in 1994 and it had gone to HOV-3. Needless to say, many more cars now on the I-95/395 HOV lanes. I wouldn't mind HOV-4 again if it does "de-clog" the HOV lanes.
ronin718 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronin718 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 12:03pm
hondu... Police officers cannot share their ride. Numerous regs prohibit this. We're just going to have to live with that. Hybrids, on the other hand, can and should. I'll just leave it at that. No sense in running up the BP, mine and others included. [8D]
mfassler View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfassler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2005 at 10:40am
I absoutely agree...HOV-4 (or 5) is a NECESSITY! I ALWAYS fill my car up to it's capacity (5) everyday if there are riders waiting. If Hybrids, which are not, as defined by VDOT, actually "Clean Fuel Vehicles" since they DO use the same "dirty" gasoline that every other car uses (even if they can use less of it), don't GET OFF OF OUR ROADS, then the HOV system will die. The HIGH OCCUPANCY VEHICLE lanes were created for carpooling, to get 2-3 more cars off of the regular lanes for each car in the HOV. Regardless of your desire to save gas money or to help the ecological problems we have, the HOV wasn't designed for you, and when the exemption is removed next year, the REAL HOVers can enjoy their lives and their commutes again. The problem is the the automobile manufacturers have powerful lobbyist, and they greased the wheels (and filled the wallets) of a lot of state officials to OVERRIDE VDOT and allow Hybrids on the HOV. Well, money can't buy happiness...at least not for long. Your time is up.

HYBRIDS RUIN HOV...PERIOD -- GET OFF OF _OUR_ ROADS!!
terratoo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terratoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 12:33pm
I think HOV-4 is a great idea, but commuter lots are already busting at the seams. Until they are ALL expanded, I think HOV-4 could pose some major issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic