Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HOV-4

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 2:09pm
Drove to Willieburg last week for a meeting. Since it didn't start until afternoon, departed S'field about 9 AM. Heading south on I-95 I saw a commuter lot to the left just south of the Occoquan River bridge that appeared to be only about 1/2 full at best.
Don't understand why there were so many open slots in that lot when there have been so many postings on this board about the lack of commuter parking in PW, Spotsy and Stafford counties. Maybe that lot is too far north for most PW, Spotsy and Stafford commuters to use. From "The King & I" -- " 't'is a puzzlement." [?]

Keep on sluggin' [;)]

bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 2:34pm
HOV-4 is not ready yet. Force the Hybrid owners to comply with HOV-3 first and then force them all to HOV-4 when the time is right. There is already a huge line of cars in the afternoon to pickup slugs at the Pentagon and I am sure drivers at other locations have to wait also. As far as shortage of Hybrids. There will be a glut of them in the very near future. There are 5 new models slated for release this year alone to include a Lexus SUV!! Hybrid owner mentality in this area is not to save gas or help the environment. It is solely to be able to get in the HOV as they please.

Bottom line is -- It is HOV-3 -- NO EXCEPTIONS. The free ride is over. Enjoy the tax break from your hybrid and I look forward to my first ride home in one!
fed up View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 3:52pm
Sludge --
The lot that you refer to is the infamous 123 lot. Don't let appearances fool you, though. While it is close to 95, access to and from the lot is less than desirable. For those of us south of the lot, we would have to travel on 95N in the morning which is always backed up beyond Potomac Mills most mornings. Add to that the local road congestion and this lot becomes undesirable. I don't believe that there are any slug lines using this lot as well, but not for the lack of trying.
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2005 at 9:04pm
fed up,
Thanks for the info. I don't go south on I-95 very often during the week. It's surprising to hear that such a large commuter lot isn't very convenient for many commuters - especially those who live in areas north of Potomac Mills near Occoquan, Woodbridge, and Dale City. Is it not accessible from Va 123? If not, what a shame. [:(]

Have a great long weekend, and Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
carleric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carleric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 7:42am
Oh, it's accessible from 123. Technically. It's just very poorly designed. The access points are bad, it's easy for traffic to back up - there's NOTHING convenient about it.
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 9:54am
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]BTW, I saw the the recent BOCS meeting said that they are not sure they want to expand the 234 lot because it gets used by Non PWC residents.

Then there is a fairly simple solution at hand that is employed by the City of Manassas WRT non-city residents parking at the VRE station. They issue two types of window tags (for free), resident & non-resident, to be hung from r/v mirror. If you park w/o one (or in the wrong spot) stand by for a ticket (and they are aggressive about that).

PWC simply issues bonafide county residents a similar tag and puts up signs to the effect that non-county residents will be ticketed. I would imagine something could be linked to the county decal database for confirmation of residency (covering the non-VA military residents in PWC as well). Spaces in the lots would still be first-come-first-served, but at least one wouldn't be fighting non-county residents, if indeed that is a major problem at 234 (and probably Horner too).

- Will
USA View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 2:09pm
What do they need window tags for? The registration decal in the window should be all the evidence they need. The only jurisdiction in Virginia that doesn't use those annoying decals is Virginia Beach, and I doubt there are many Virginia Beach residents using commuter lots in Prince William County, Manassas, or Manassas Park.

(I didn't say "county sticker" because the cities and towns use them too.)

quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]
quote:
Originally posted by RobertLangDirect
[br]BTW, I saw the the recent BOCS meeting said that they are not sure they want to expand the 234 lot because it gets used by Non PWC residents.

Then there is a fairly simple solution at hand that is employed by the City of Manassas WRT non-city residents parking at the VRE station. They issue two types of window tags (for free), resident & non-resident, to be hung from r/v mirror. If you park w/o one (or in the wrong spot) stand by for a ticket (and they are aggressive about that).

PWC simply issues bonafide county residents a similar tag and puts up signs to the effect that non-county residents will be ticketed. I would imagine something could be linked to the county decal database for confirmation of residency (covering the non-VA military residents in PWC as well). Spaces in the lots would still be first-come-first-served, but at least one wouldn't be fighting non-county residents, if indeed that is a major problem at 234 (and probably Horner too).

- Will

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 4:43pm
DITTO!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Tonka Truck
[br]From a long time slug: "RESTORE HOV-4".

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2005 at 4:46pm
The success of the HOV is not for individual situations. I feel for you, but the success of the HOV rests on decisions made for the masses. If everyone's situation has to be taken into account, we might as well forget the whole system.

quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]HOV-4 is not feasible. We already have problems with HOV-3 to start with. At least I couldn't do it since I leave from the Woodbridge area with my two daughters, heading to North Springfield. It was very hard for me when I had my first child trying to find people heading to Springfield at that time, by not saying I didn't find people at all, that it will make my commute very difficult.

defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2005 at 9:52am
quote:
Originally posted by rale
[br]The success of the HOV is not for individual situations. I feel for you, . . .

quote:
Originally posted by emancilla
[br]HOV-4 is not feasible. . . . with my two daughters, heading to North Springfield. . . .

Just think of all the people who use the HOV lanes during the off hours, or (and I shake my head as I say this) when VDOT opens it to all for an emergency (like a garbage truck dumping a load on 95 near Lorton), or other reason. When you have HOT you will have none of the FREE off-hour use.

You'll have only the ability to pay, unless you are just starting a carreer and have two children, and then the choice may be between formula or water at night.

Good luck to all you believe HOT will help anyone other than the rich. I already have my land in the Idaho panhandle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic