Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cardinal Forest (aka Old Keene at Rolling Rd)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardinal Forest (aka Old Keene at Rolling Rd)
    Posted: 10 Feb 2005 at 3:50pm
I'm new to the area and I've never slugged before, so please forgive my ignorance. I've read the descriptions and reviewed the forum.

Can anyone tell me how active the Cardinal Forest Shopping Center slug line is at about 7am? (This is the one beside the golf course at Old Keene Mill and Rolling Road) How long might I expect to wait for a ride?

Additionally, how easy/difficult is it to find a return trip from the Pentagon, departing at around 5:30pm? Is it necessary to hold a destination sign at the Pentagon, or is there a specific place to stand?

Any additional advice for a new slugger using this route?

Thanks!
mmm' Kay

Old Keene Mill/Rolling Road, Newbe Slugger
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 7:01am
bmkay,
I'm not sure about a 7 AM start there since I drive in earler, but the line is active, and I have picked up slugs there about 6:30 several times when we were missing a carpool member.

As far as your afternoon return, most of us who head west on Old Keene Mill Rd for Rolling Valley Mall don't mind dropping slugs off at Cardinal Forest (or even at Bob's or Daventry) on the way. So I think you would get in a RVM afternoon slug line and just check with the driver about getting dropped off at CF. I believe most drivers will be happy to do that for you.

Keep on sluggin' [:)]
Cicada View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cicada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2005 at 8:53am
Bmkay,

I usually slug from Rolling Valley, but very occasionally from Cardinal Forest. Slug line is active at ~7:30 -- have recently seen cars or slugs waiting as I passed by. A good backup is to get an 18P bus schedule and bring bus money. The bus stop is very close to the slug line.

In the afternoon, all Springfield/Burke slugs wait at the first slug stop on the circular drive in South Parking -- go down the hill from the bus station, cross the road where all the buses come out on their way to 395, and turn left at the next corner. My limited experience confirms what sluDgE says -- drivers are willing to drop off at Cardinal Plaza if you ask. Again, your backup is the 18P bus, which costs $3.00 and runs every 15 minutes from 4:40 to 6:10. Unfortunately, it's a couple of blocks from the slug stop to the bus stop at the Pentagon. I was thinking about this last night as I debated whether to run back up the hill to get the 5:55 bus. Fortunately, I got a ride at 5:53.
bmkay View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmkay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2005 at 4:18pm
Thanks for the responses!
I actually tried slugging for the first time today from the bus stop across from Cardinal Plaza. My intent was actually to catch the 18P at 0715, but as I walked up there was a car with two occupants seeking a 3rd to go to the Pentagon. It couldn't have been easier!
The return trip wasn't as easy. The first 3 drivers at the Pentagon-Springfield stop were headed to Daventry. The fourth was headed to Rolling Valley. After clarifying that Rolling Road was NOT RVM, but that it was enroute the driver was willing to drop me off.
It appears that Cardinal Forest Plaza is not a familiar enough stop to be known by name, though Rolling Road is known. My driver had been driving Old Keene Mill, RVM for 2 years and didn't know of a slug line at this location, but noted that he had observed drivers picking up slugs at the bus stop in the morning. He encouraged me (as you both did) to come prepared to take the 18P.
Overall, my first experience with slugging was pleasant and I plan to continue. Perhaps the morning commute will be easier than the afternoon. Time will tell. [8D]
coolbreeze27 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coolbreeze27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2005 at 2:19pm
Thanks for the information. I am a Bob's slugger, but need to change my schedule so this really helps. Maybe we can put Cardinal Forest on the map!! Thanks again!! :)

Toodles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic