Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Violators This Morning .. & No Enforcement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Violators This Morning .. & No Enforcement
    Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 7:00am
Okay, it is Valentine's Day, but what gives on the HOV between Va 644 and the P'gon this morning? I drove this morning and it seemed the HOV lanes were more crowded and slower than usual. My HOV-4 carpool saw violators in about 1 out every 4 cars this morning & only 2 cars were hybrids. We drove in between 6:20 & 6:35 AM from Va 644 to the P'gon exit. And, of course, we saw none of the violators get pulled over. Anyone know if the HOV restrictions are lifted on Valentine's Day???? (I doubt it.)

Happy Valentine's Day & Keep on Sluggin'! [:)]
wdossel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wdossel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 7:19am
My guess is that they were operating not only under cover of darkness, but were also taking advantage of the poor weather. 'course I saw zero/zip/nada troopers this morning either...

- Will
Subaru View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Subaru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 7:33am
quote:
Originally posted by sluDgE
[br]Okay, it is Valentine's Day, but what gives on the HOV between Va 644 and the P'gon this morning? I drove this morning and it seemed the HOV lanes were more crowded and slower than usual. My HOV-4 carpool saw violators in about 1 out every 4 cars this morning & only 2 cars were hybrids. We drove in between 6:20 & 6:35 AM from Va 644 to the P'gon exit. And, of course, we saw none of the violators get pulled over. Anyone know if the HOV restrictions are lifted on Valentine's Day???? (I doubt it.)

Happy Valentine's Day & Keep on Sluggin'! [:)]

This is getting stupid. There was zero enforcement. Where are all the state troopers?

-Robert
P8R10TZ View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8R10TZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 9:43am
There was one brave Motorcycle Cop who had pulled someone over...

I salute him!~!
chipgalloway View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipgalloway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2005 at 11:22am
Since daylight savings time went out and the morning commute has been in the dark, the number of HOV violators has soared. The other morning from Woodbridge to the Pentagon I passed or was passed by 22 cars...20 of which were violators! When is the VA State Patrol going to enfore the HOV restrictions? Seems they could make enough money to help finance the HOV extension to Fredericksburg.

Happy Valentine's Day![8D]

Chip
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2005 at 7:22am
So now it's the day after Valentine's Day, and HOV traffic flow was better this morning between S'field (Va 644) and the P'gon. I guess SweetLibby was right-on about the weather impact yesterday.
The violators we noticed this morning were those who probably jumped onto HOV at Springfield or Lorton to avoid the regular lane backup caused by the broken down car at the beltway overpass. Appears those violators automatically lifted the HOV restrictions for themselves to avoid the slowdown. After all, those violators can't be inconvenienced because they are the "most important people in the world" ... just ask one of them.

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
defender View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote defender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2005 at 8:52am
Perhaps it too is a matter of information. I have had several conversations with the Fairfax (7th) Division. of the State Patrol. They were not aware of the cause and effect that the incident had. They are now, and they are looking at how to move manpower about to be more effective, essentially, hunt while the game is on the move.

Recently, the VA Police have a "large sum" of Federal grant, earmarked for HOV enforcement. Soon, (and it may have been said, in the next two weeks) you should see a heavy presence of HOV enforcement.

I encourage you to note to the Virginia legislature that HOV enforcement could be better. In fact, it is a money maker, given that at $50 a ticket (not counting court costs), a Troopr needs to issue a ticket every 20 minutes, over three hours, to cover his cost of enforcement. With the hundreds of violators, it is like ducks in a barrel.

Always, you can report violations, particularly when you note they are running rampant or have a particular pattern, or a reckless and agressive, call the VA State Police, #77. This is the "emergancy number." Use it for emergancy or other urgent matters.

If you'd rather discuss the matter with the Public Affairs and suggest that they increase their enforcement, call (703) 323-4500.
ohio 7 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohio 7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2005 at 2:25pm
quote:
Originally posted by wdossel
[br]My guess is that they were operating not only under cover of darkness, but were also taking advantage of the poor weather. 'course I saw zero/zip/nada troopers this morning either...

- Will

I was involved in a 3-car accident somewhere around Seminary Rd. with another slug from Horner Rd. and we had to wait for 1 1/2 hours for a cop to show up. Our car wanted to go since he was the first car and still driveable, but we had to wait for the cop to show first. We heard our accident on many radio stations all that time but not a lot of other ones so where were they????? There is no excuse for it. Even the wreckers were baffeled since the police called them!
sluDgE View Drop Down
Master Slug
Master Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sluDgE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 2:20pm
FWIW ... this morning the HOVs were "smokin'" from S'field Va 644 entrance to the P'gon exit at about 6:20 to 6:35. HOV was moving so well that we passed (and were passed by) very few vehicles ... but we did see 6 vehicles with less than 3 people in them as follows:
- dark green older Honda Accord, driver only
- aqua old Chevy pickup, only two construction workers onboard
- silver Toyota or Nissan pickup, driver only (had what looked like an FOP emblem on its licence tag)
- silver older Toyota Prius, driver only
- deep red new Toyota Prius, driver only
- black Chrysler, driver only, (had a couple of antennas on the trunk, might be FBI or Secret Service)

Oh well ... we were all doing at least 65 mph. [;)]

Keep on sluggin'! [:)]
scottt View Drop Down
Senior Slug
Senior Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scottt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2005 at 3:38pm
Should have been on HOV at 7:30am (2/16) sluDgE. Came to the Pentagon area and stopped dead. Was 20 mins late to work this morning. No accidents or such.....sigh.....hate it when my helicopter is in the shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic