Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multple lines at Horner Rd - suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 7:36am
Slugs,

Let's make this happen!! I think everybody agrees that at least two lines are needed. So, in the next week let's aggressively spread the word. If everybody helps enforce the new two lines it will make things easier. This is what I propose and posted on the homepage:

Two Lines for Horner Road Line. It's time to split the Horner Road line into TWO separate lines. The popularity of Horner is causing problems so, we need to split this line. Effective 6 Aug (Monday):
1)Create a new slugline at the new bus stop for all sluggers going downtown - 14th Street, 18th Street, Navy Yard, etc.
2)The "old" bus stop could be used for Pentagon and Crystal City traffic.

Trying to start the new line on 6 Aug is aggressive and does not leave much time. But, if everyone spreads the word it will help.

gg View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2002 at 8:33pm
Ok, but I wish you had given at least one week of lead time so that signs could have been posted -- any place there are people waiting.

Anyway, you've already set the date, so let's do it!

gg
Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2002 at 5:39am
GG,
Your right and sorry for the late announcement. I thought I could send out a newsletter announcing the move that would allow ample time but the newsletter mailing list has grown so large, my software "timed out" trying to send it!! So about 50% of the people received the email announcement and the others did not.

I thought about delaying it a week for the reason you stated but with half the word out, it was too late.

Solution - I'm buying new software to handle the growning newsletter list.

Sorry for the problem - hopefully the move will still take place.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 6:38am
There are three threads of messages regarding the two lines at Horner Rd. To consolidate comments, please post futher comments at:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=230

Gold89 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gold89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2002 at 10:19am
Bob, the slug-line at Horner Road is not broken. Why are you trying to fix it? Creating a second line in ANOTHER parking lot is a load of crap. There are too many other sluggers who want the capability to use either line. Potomac Mills is a model for no one. If you like it so much, please go back there and use it.

Point 2- What do the drivers do when they do not find a slug at the new lot? Where do they go in the old lot to pick up a slug for a different location? Have you seen where 98% of the cars enter the Horner lot? It's through PW Pkwy. The only drivers who use the new entrance are the ones coming from Minnieville Road. It is less convenient to enter through Telegraph Road. The drivers are going to take the easiest way possible to enter the HOV.

You obviously don't slug out of Horner the same time I do. The people in line that I spoke with, do not have a problem the way it is now.

So you and whoever else has taken it up yourselves to go a SCREW up something that we've been using for so long that works the way it is.

quote:

Many people have said that we need several lines at Horner Road and I agree. I propose that we see how the new lot operates for a couple of weeks with the current one line system and then see what should be done. It may take several weeks for a most people that dont normally use the lot to start using it.

Potomac Mills is the model and I believe the destinations should be the same for consistency. Also, one reason Potomac works so well is that the lines are in empty lots and there is a lot of room for cars to line up. Until we see the new traffic patterns, I dont think it is possible to set the lines up.

I read that Supervisor Griggs has proposed that the county look into installing signs. But at Potomac, there are no signs. A volunteer just set up temporary signs the first week. I know we would need at least that to avoid confusion.

Bslug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bslug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2002 at 9:07am
(In due respect to the rules and decorum or this forum this reply will also be posted in the Morning Slug lines message board as requested by the administrator)

Gold89,
You make some good points, but I believe you are in the minority. It's not Bob who is trying to change the Horner system it's the sluggers who use it.

The system at Horner is currently highly inefficient. If you are going to the Pentagon and you are an early riser then the current system is for you.

However, if you are like the rest of us who are going to other destinations it is at best cumbersome. The majority of the line is made of Pentagoners; you have an unofficial designated person who bellows out points of destinations to people in the line who are too far away to hear the drivers (which can be VERY annoying early in the morning); drivers "cut" the line constantly and wait frustratingly because their destination is not popular(Rosslyn, 14th St., L'Enfant destinations); and 18th street destinations are non-existent as I have experienced especially early in the morning. In short the current Horner system IS BROKE and must be fixed. Nobody is trying to "SCREW" up anything we are just trying to make an imperfect system better for everyone.

BTW - Most of us who go to PM do so to avoid the craziness at Horner. The valid reasons why we would like to increase our choices for commuting lots are: 1) It is much tougher to get a ride back to PM in the afternoon - Drivers who pick up at PM like to drop people off at Horner effectively messing up the system 2) The Horner lot although admittedly new is vastly under utilized. What is wrong with increasing the choices for commuters on which lot to use based upon their needs. 3) There might be a day (maybe sooner than later) that the PM Lot will be closed as it is not exclusively for commuters as is the Horner Lot.

BSlug

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2002 at 4:04pm
There are actually four message threads dealing with the same subject of spitting Horner Road. To keep everybody on the same topic please use "Two Lines for Horner Road" at:
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=230

The others will be locked which are:
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=248
and
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=201
and
http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=192

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic