Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multple lines at Horner Rd - suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multple lines at Horner Rd - suggestions
    Posted: 08 Jul 2002 at 12:14pm
Many people have said that we need several lines at Horner Road and I agree. I propose that we see how the new lot operates for a couple of weeks with the current one line system and then see what should be done. It may take several weeks for a most people that dont normally use the lot to start using it.

Potomac Mills is the model and I believe the destinations should be the same for consistency. Also, one reason Potomac works so well is that the lines are in empty lots and there is a lot of room for cars to line up. Until we see the new traffic patterns, I dont think it is possible to set the lines up.

I read that Supervisor Griggs has proposed that the county look into installing signs. But at Potomac, there are no signs. A volunteer just set up temporary signs the first week. I know we would need at least that to avoid confusion.

LegMan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2002 at 4:10pm
One problem I forsee at Horner is the odd traffic pattern the expansion sets up. There is no access to the new lot off of PW Parkway. You have to drive all the way into the old lot then turn left and backtrack against the flow of traffic to reach the bus shelters in the new lot. This effectively creates a major intersection in the middle of the lot. It's going to be ugly.

Dave
Eric View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2002 at 10:06pm
As I'm sure many are aware, the mobile message boards are up at Horner and say that the new section is opening on Monday (the 15th).

As for the access, I'm guessing that the assessment was that most folks would be entering from Telegraph Rd.

And on to the topic... I think that it's an awful long way to be hoofing it from one side to the other of the expanded lots. With that much room there's no reason for one single location. I'd suggest that the Pentagon/Crystal City/Rosslyn, etc. folks use the bus shelters in the new section and the DC contingent use the old section. Just my proverbial 2 cents though.

- Eric.

PentaMan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PentaMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 10:56pm
Agree with all of the assessments, but I believe Eric MAY have the allocation of lots reversed. I just posted this message in another section of the board.

"Absolutely agree. The last three days, I've tried to pick up at Horner and drivers were backed up all the way to the entrance road. I work at the Pentagon, and would venture that many of the folks in front of me were driving downtown. (The past two days I decided at the last minute to slug in, worked late and got home via bus at 8:30 (oops, whining). Faced with the same dilemma this morning, I drove over to Potomac Mills...one car ahead of me and four riders...perfect! (but that's another story)

Haven't surveyed the new lots at Horner fully yet, but since they're a bit out of the way (and most likely fill up later), they would appear to be an appropriate place to operate a DC-side slug line (and DCers could park there too...I say this becuase it looks like my fellow Pentagon folks typically hit the line earlier in the morning). Then the old lot and pickup points could be reserved for people going to the Pentagon and other VA destinations.

I'm not 100% familiar with the PRTC bus routing in the morning, but they could further reduce congestion by sending the DC only buses to the shelters in the new lot and the ones that stop at the Pentagon to the old shelter. Regardless, the new lots are great, but we've got to figure out how to optimize their utility.

BTW, this site and forum are also great ideas. Thanks!!!"

Chris Goetz View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Goetz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2002 at 4:22pm
quote:

Agree with all of the assessments, but I believe Eric MAY have the allocation of lots reversed. I just posted this message in another section of the board.

"Absolutely agree. The last three days, I've tried to pick up at Horner and drivers were backed up all the way to the entrance road. I work at the Pentagon, and would venture that many of the folks in front of me were driving downtown. (The past two days I decided at the last minute to slug in, worked late and got home via bus at 8:30 (oops, whining). Faced with the same dilemma this morning, I drove over to Potomac Mills...one car ahead of me and four riders...perfect! (but that's another story)

Haven't surveyed the new lots at Horner fully yet, but since they're a bit out of the way (and most likely fill up later), they would appear to be an appropriate place to operate a DC-side slug line (and DCers could park there too...I say this becuase it looks like my fellow Pentagon folks typically hit the line earlier in the morning). Then the old lot and pickup points could be reserved for people going to the Pentagon and other VA destinations.

I'm not 100% familiar with the PRTC bus routing in the morning, but they could further reduce congestion by sending the DC only buses to the shelters in the new lot and the ones that stop at the Pentagon to the old shelter. Regardless, the new lots are great, but we've got to figure out how to optimize their utility.

BTW, this site and forum are also great ideas. Thanks!!!"

For the reasons cited by Pentaman, I think the DC line should be in the new lot, with the remainder of the sluggers (Pentagon, Crystal City, etc.) in the old lot with the system that exists. When and how do we start?

Robb View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2002 at 7:48am
I'm also in agreement with PentaMan on the line locations - it makes sense.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2002 at 11:08am
I suggest that you set a date and start handing out flyers. Perhaps the administrator can help you by posting a flyer and notice on this website, if you give him the info. That's how we did it with the Rosslyn move.

Set the date about 2-3 weeks out and start handing out flyers to slugs and drivers. You will need volunteers to walk both the slug and car lines to get the message out. We did this with the Rosslyn move and it worked very well. It takes only a few minutes each time you do it. If this doesn't work, I have another idea. (Involves separating the slugs into 2 lines, but keeping one car line for a temporary period).

LegMan View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 11:10am
Now that the expanded Horner Rd lot has been operating for a couple of weeks I'd like to post some observations. I get there at 6:50 and the slug line has been very short lately (12-15 people). Nearly all of the cars (both parkers and pickupers) are entering the lot from PW Parkway and not from Telegraph Rd. Those cars that do come through the new lot have trouble picking up slugs because they have to cross the intersection and because of the road alignment, they are on the wrong side of the island.

Until the new lot is used by more cars making a pick-up I think moving the slug line would be a mistake. What is it like at 6:15?

Dave

jhatton1980 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhatton1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2002 at 11:22am
I get there at 620-630 and regularly see the line run from the start point, down to the end, back up to the bus station and out to the end - essentially the line is more than doubled up on itself. At the same time, cars are waiting 10-15 deep.

tameraj View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tameraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 1:10pm
I've tried the Horner lot several times since the new section opened. At 7am (most days, one day at 8am) I parked in the new section, trudged over to the old lot, and got in a 12-15 member line which went pretty quickly. But it was still the same ole' Horner system, people yelling out destinations, noisy, people trying to cut in front of you, chaos as usual. I've returned to Potomac Mills for peace and solitude.

Also, since the new Horner area opened I've had better (quicker) luck getting evening rides back to Potomac Mills from the Pentagon. Strange!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic