Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhybrids get them off HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 9:15am
well the name calling began with someone else.

as far as the regulations - doesn't matter. I'm suggesting that if the regulations allow non-driver age people to be slugs that this should be changed.

Either the road rules are about removing drivers, or they're not. From what I can see, Motorcycles and children allowed makes no sense and goes against that rule. Same with hybrids and I own one (and the way gas prices are going, I'm damned glad I do!).

All I did was call this absurd rule into question and I got a lot of personal attacks. So be it. Everyone wants HOV for their own convience. I can't say I'm surprised.
VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 9:17am

... VA4ver, have you looked up the regulations to support either of your arguments -- or are you both just content to call each other idiots? [V]

Be nice and,
Keep on sluggin'! [:)]

FROM DOT WEBSITE:
HOV - Rules & FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm pregnant. Do I count as one person or two? In the HOV world, you're one person. However, babies of any age count as a person.

People are "selfish" by nature. They do what's best for them and their own. But this isn't about passing judgment on people who opt to use all available means to get to/from work (riding a motorcycle, purchasing a hybrid, carpooling, using daycare provided by their work place and counting their children as a carpool, etc.), it's about the government making up its mind as to how to keep the traffic moving in this region. We can only hope they don't make hasty choices based solely on monetary considerations.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 9:33am
Qorc, I dont really care for the name calling but when you make statements like........"Frankly, if these people really cared about their kids, they wouldn't bet toting them to daycare anyway." you open yourself up pretty wide. How do you come up with such an idea with the cost of living these days?? So in families with children one spouse should not work by your logic. In the year 2005 I would hope that we would have gotten past such comments about working families and raising children.
qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 11:25am
horsesh*t

I support a family solely on my government income in a house appraised at $625,000. Its not that difficult to do.

Very few people NEED daycare - they just have their own selfish reasons for carting their kids off for 11-13 hours a day to some "center" where they will be raised by an unending series of strangers. Of course, they NEED bigger houses and more things, children be damned.

besides, the name-calling began long before that comment. So get your facts straight.

VA4ver View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VA4ver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 11:47am
I think Gorc is in league with Uhura. Let him keep is views to himself. He really doesn't have a reality check because he's not considering divorced/single parents in his narrow universe. I motion for no further responses to Gorc's (aka Dorc) posts.
SpongeBob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpongeBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 11:51am
Good Gravy!! Qorc? Is that you? Didn't we kick your Smug behind out of our community lo these many months ago?

Squeeze your piehole shut and stick your mangy, fly-covered carcass into your high-bred and GO AWAY! The opinions and thoughts of a high-bred owner are self-evidently self-involved, so it comes as no surprise you keep your wife in the basement as a chattel.

How, you knucklehead, could a trooper tell the difference between a child's head and a commuter's head? And what about your head? It is empty, so perhaps it is see-through as well?

Please gaze at your own navel in complacent self-satisfaction on some other board. This one is for the Slugs!

--sigh-- You know, the Sponge has really missed the old give-and-take on the slug board. Such enlightened conversation is seldom found outside the confines of our little world. [;)]
ScarletLSG View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScarletLSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 11:53am
Call me CRAZY ... but qorc raises a very valid point. If the purpose of HOV is to REMOVE DRIVERS from the roads, then cars with a driver and two children DO NOT do that. I think THAT is where HOV needs to be clarified. If the sole purpose is to lessen the number of vehicles on the road, then THAT should be the starting point for where the laws should be initiated. As I understand, HOV is NOT for convenience purposes.

Having said all of that, qorc ... your comments regarding working moms are incredibly insensitive. We are a military family, living in military housing and my husband's income DOES NOT allow for me to not work. We don't buy bigger cars, houses, gadgets, etc ... we just don't make alot of money. And believe it or not, my kids are perfectly happy and well-adjusted ... despite their "day-care years."

ScarletLSG
beachhead View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 1:21pm
Spongy, we missed you while you were away. But your return today has rendered our patience the righteous reward of several smoking diatribes against the usual suspects. Although one of your zingers (to Vettedaddybob, I believe) ventured dangerously close to forbidden political terrain, it was classic just the same.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2005 at 2:01pm
Brilliant response Q man. I should have expected as much from you. I am glad you have a nice home and can support your family on one income. However thats not always so, especially for those just starting out in life. There was no way I could do that when I first started and I am thankful that we had a great daycare that took wonderful care of my boys while my wife taught and I wandered the world as a Marine 2nd Lt.
You my friend are wound way too tight and may need a few govt holidays to relax a bit!

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]horsesh*t

I support a family solely on my government income in a house appraised at $625,000. Its not that difficult to do.

Very few people NEED daycare - they just have their own selfish reasons for carting their kids off for 11-13 hours a day to some "center" where they will be raised by an unending series of strangers. Of course, they NEED bigger houses and more things, children be damned.

besides, the name-calling began long before that comment. So get your facts straight.

qorc View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qorc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2005 at 8:17am
oh? did I strike a nerve? Some of you feel guilty about day-care? you should.

me, I'd rather raise my own kids. Somehow, I think the fact that they are thriving has something to do with the fact that they are being raised by people who love them and have a stake in their future.

Thus, I have no interest -- nor should society -- in providing a "benefit" to day-care parents by allowing them exemptions from the purpose of HOV.

Insulted? who cares. It's my opinion. You can agree, disagree, whatever. No skin off my nose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 25>
  Share Topic