Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhybrids get them off HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 8:09am

Good article on the status of hybrid legislation re the bill passed by the House.

Looks like only ONE delegate voted against it. That means our Pr William delegation voted for it also. I guess they will say that since it has a clause that no new hybrids can get in after July (just old ones) that they did us a favor. BOO HISS

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2006/022006/02152006/168076
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 10:21am
Bob, I predicted that legislative response - and was booed for it. I recommend, that instead of boo hissing your delegates, that you simply ask them to tell you why they voted the way they did. Was it a tit for tat for some other legislation? Or did they have a reason for supporting it that is contrary to your views? Do they think that your views are a minority opinion and that the majority favor it?

You won't know until you ask. I asked mine.
bnvus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnvus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 2:36pm
Well at least it is a small victory for the "no more exemptions" crowd. It is just a matter of time before new hybrid owners complain the can't use the HOV lanes like the current "CF" plate holders. Then it will be complete.
map077 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 3:21pm
I did write both Michele McQuigg and Senator Colgan. I received the following response from Michele:

Thank you for your e-mail. I appreciate you taking the time to share your
thoughts on hybrid usage in HOV lanes. I carefully consider citizen input.
The expression of your opinion and others enables me to better represent citizens.

HB 1248 passed; it extends the hybrid exemption for 1 more year. However, I did place an amendment on the bill that states that after July 1, 2006 a different clean special fuel license plate will be issued. Vehicles with the new plate will not be able to use HOV without being HOV-3. It is not a perfect solution. However, the bill had sufficient votes to pass without the amendment and without my vote. The patron of the bill agreed to my amendment. The amendment grandfathers current hybrids, yet the exponential
increase in hybrids on HOV will not continue. The bill also includes additional funds for increased enforcement. There are many more complexities to this issue as the federal government defines what is a hybrid vehicle and as the I95/395 HOT lane public private partnership agreement is negotiated.

FYI 19% of the vehicles on HOV have clean fuel license plates. In Spring 2004 in Northern Virginia there were 480 clean fuel vehicle license plates and in January 2006 there were 9,700. That's a big increase in a short period of time.

20% of the vehicles in HOV lanes are violators. HB 843 that significantly increased the penalties passed. It doubles each of the fines and assesses points on the first offense (instead of waiting for the 3rd offense) for HOV violators.

If you have additional comments or questions, please contact me.

Best Wishes,
Michele
MDC View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 4:17pm
Michele needs to take a ride in HOV for a few days before she spouts these statistics she's been provided. Hybrids are not 19%, and cheaters are certainly way under 10% during 90% of HOV hours. VDOT's results released in December 2004 said that hybrids were 22%, and that's before any of the "CX" plates were issued. The CX plates are up to something like 8000CX now.

While it is a step, extending the exemption for those people that knew it would expire in 2006, is ridiculous.
Message View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Message Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 4:54pm
I own a Hybrid. I utilize the HOV lanes. I help the environment.

I agree there has been an increase in the number of hybrids on the road but the new proposed legislation would prevent new hybrids purchased after 1 July from using the HOV lanes w/o 3 people in the car. To most of you, this is still not fair because you resent the hybrid exemption and, quite frankly, seem quite bitter (from your posts).

The proposed legislation also introduces stiffer penalties for "cheaters". This is a good thing.

Let's all focus our attention on the inevitable HOT lanes and try to shape something posive out of them :-)
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2006 at 10:50pm
quote:
Originally posted by Message
[br]I own a Hybrid. I help the environment.

Depends on which hybrid you drive. If you are driving a Honda hybrid lift the hood and check the federal emissions rating(Tier ? bin ?). I'd be curious to hear what it is.
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 12:31pm
Thanks to everyone, those new to the forum and longtime debaters of the issues, for your input.

I don't think anyone dislikes hybrid drivers, nor is there clear disdain for hybrid vehicles. Whatever your opinion about the longterm viability of hybrid vehicles, they are here and available to anyone who can afford one. The issue here is about the exemption to HOV laws that allow SOVs in HOV lanes and those who support the laws.

The politicians are to blame in this debate. They have cowtowed to the lobbists who advocate automaker's interests and want to push a new product (hybrids), and are looking for legal loopholes to aid their marketing efforts. This is fiduciary irresponsibility! The politicians have a responsibility to support laws that provide the most good for the most constituents. In this case, our representitives have betrayed us by pushing the hybrid HOV exemption, that serves few commuters, few auto manufacturers, and penalizes the vast majority of average citizen commuters by using our buying decisions (and ability) to discriminate against us. Get ready because HOT lanes will do the same thing, only worse.

As I have said in many previous posts, hybrid drivers are not the "bad guys" here, and I don't think anyone in this forum feels that way. I think hybrid drivers want to be active in a solution to our congestion, commuting, polution and fuel consumption problems. And good for you for doing what you think is right with that goal in mind! Personally, I don't agree with marketers, that we should not have to buy something to help solve the world's problems, but buying decisions are individual rights. The problem is when a minority interest is promoted by politicians and the majority is forced to comply. That is wrong!
map077 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote map077 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 1:46pm
This was my message back to Michele McQuigg and below that is her answer.

My message:
Hello, Michele,

Thanks for your response. I am extremely disappointed that this bill has passed. May I respectfully suggest that you and others interested in this subject go to www.slug-lines.com and view the sentiment of those who deal with this hybrid issue up close and personal. There is no better teacher than experience and I would suggest that those who agreed to this extension be subjected to a month's worth of travel back and forth from DC on the HOV. They might have a better and more objective point of view if they did. I am thoroughly disgusted with how our government, federal and local, have basically discounted and disregarded the feelings of those of us who matter most - the people who live and work here. I hope you can work harder at bringing this subject to the attention of the right people to let them know we are not at all happy about their vote. I can only hope I have the right to vote them out of office for their inconsiderate disregard for the wishes of the majority of voters in northern Virginia. Thank you for your time.

HER RESPONSE:

Sometimes I want reality to be something other than what it is. The problem is that the majority of the members of the House are not from the I-95/395 Northern Virginia corridor and VDOT supported the hybrid extension. It was very hard work to get what we got. If I were dictator the situation would be different, but I'm not. Nothing happens unless there is a majority of members who vote on it.

Please feel free to call me at 804-698-1051 if you'd like to discuss this further.

Best Wishes,
Michele
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2006 at 2:26pm
So VDOT supported the hybrid exemption? I would like to see the letter, memo, or website documenting this. The Channel 7 report said that the N. VA VDOT opposes the extension. Of course we are looking at politics in Richmond. We need to contact Pierce Homer, the head of VDOT and see what he says. What is ludicrous is just a couple of weeks ago I went to the VDOT site and it said that the extension was to be decided by the General Assembly - no other comments.

And get this, I looked at the House Bill and indeed it did add a new clause grandfathering the existing hybrids but no new hybrids on 95/395 ONLY. So that by itself shows that the House or Senate COULD have put forth a bill ending the exemption totally as scheduled for only 95/395.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425>
  Share Topic