Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Archived Slugging Topics > Hybrids
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhybrids get them off HOV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2005 at 3:52pm
Very astute WM.

and isn't that what the auto industry would like to do? They've had their run-up (e.g. premiums) on SUVs that progressively grew larger and larger. Now, they know (in concert with the oil industry) that to make more $$ they need to get on the "take" from Uncle Sam and he helps assist with demand plus provides incentives for already overpriced technology when there are viable, real clean fuel alternatives that simply need the market support.

Why won't the hybrid exemption expire? Why won't FFV gain HOV exemptions? Why don't diesels that get high gas mileage (like hybrids) qualify?

Plenty of whys, but then the consumers are all a bunch of lemmings who follow the crowd, or maybe even more so, they're more like cows and let the marketeers with their coordinated plans drive them where they want them to go.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 11:18am
Wagonman, Are you saying the state doesn't count? That States should not tax - or provide incentives? Are you nuts?

We should all be thanking the VA Legislatures for their vision in allowing the hybrid exemption. I know it's hard, but just imagine what the gas prices could have been if we did not have so many hybrids in our area. Because the hybrids reduce the DEMAND for gas, when the SUPPLY dropped, the PRICE did not rise as much as it could have.

What we need more than ever is for the state to provide as much incentive as possible for there to be more, not less, vehicles with hybrid technology. Perhaps one way is to legislate that no vehicles can be licensed in the state starting in 2007 that can't meet the hybrid emission standard or the gas mileage. Another is to extend the exemption. After all, the express lanes with SOV hybrids and motorcyles still move an average of 35mph faster than the regular lanes.
BillyBackSeat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 10:10pm
The reason for HOV is not to remove drivers off the road. The reason for HOV is to move a maximum volume of people during rush hour. Hybrids with a single occupant don't do that. Hybrids save fuel for one car but per person even a hybrid doesn't save as much gas as a guzzling SUV that is carrying four or five people that is also contributing to moving a maximum volume of people. Think about it.

quote:
Originally posted by qorc
[br]bnvus

the idiot is you. I see LOTS of them, especially in the evening.

Everyone wants the rules to suit their needs so they can use HOV, I'm only questioning any exemption that does not remove drivers from the road. That IS the point of HOV. Not to "help families commute." Frankly, if these people really cared about their kids, they wouldn't bet toting them to daycare anyway.

Or is that concept too difficult for you to grasp?

Hug a slug today
BillyBackSeat View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyBackSeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2005 at 10:27pm
Excuse me but what is going to happen to all the millions of cars in Virginia that don't meet your hybrid gas mileage standard? Jeez. You must have gone to Harvard.

quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Wagonman, Are you saying the state doesn't count? That States should not tax - or provide incentives? Are you nuts?

We should all be thanking the VA Legislatures for their vision in allowing the hybrid exemption. I know it's hard, but just imagine what the gas prices could have been if we did not have so many hybrids in our area. Because the hybrids reduce the DEMAND for gas, when the SUPPLY dropped, the PRICE did not rise as much as it could have.

What we need more than ever is for the state to provide as much incentive as possible for there to be more, not less, vehicles with hybrid technology. Perhaps one way is to legislate that no vehicles can be licensed in the state starting in 2007 that can't meet the hybrid emission standard or the gas mileage. Another is to extend the exemption. After all, the express lanes with SOV hybrids and motorcyles still move an average of 35mph faster than the regular lanes.

Hug a slug today
dickboyd View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dickboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 12:52am
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBackSeat
[br]Excuse me but what is going to happen to all the millions of cars in Virginia that don't meet your hybrid gas mileage standard? Jeez. You must have gone to Harvard.

<>
Hug a slug today

Not to narrow in on Harvard, but I've often wondered how some people develop certain attitudes. They must have attended university to come up with such misguided nonsense. Blivets and reverse blivets. Stuff they should know from Sesame Street, like greater than, for instance, seems to be beyond their realm.

Maybe the use of calculators and computers short circuited the thought process?

Free the Shirley Highway, make ALL lanes free flowing.

Have you recruited a slug today?

dickboyd@aol.com
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 7:04am
It's really quite simple - you allow all previous cars an exemption, similar to what is done with air bags. Just ensure that all newly licensed vehicles meet hybrid standards. Solves numerous problems at once - environment, consumption...
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 7:16am
Originally posted by BillyBackSeat
[br]The reason for HOV is not to remove drivers off the road. The reason for HOV is to move a maximum volume of people during rush hour.

Originally posted by qorc
[br]bnvus
Um, the reason for ROADS is to move people, wouldn't you say? And having HOV lanes moving about 25 mph faster than regular lanes during rush hour seems to imply that the regular lanes are more congested. And that's with hybrids in the express lanes. Therefore, logically it makes sense to exend the exemption.
N_or_S_bound View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N_or_S_bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 8:32am
NoSUV,

You're absolutely right about the need for alternative approaches to "gas guzzlers". Seems the market for the hybrid electric/gas combo has reached such a point that the exemption is no longer necessary. Remove the exemption, have hybrid drivers carry the requisite HOV numbers and life will be better for all involved in the commute.

I like you're thinking, except the part (which you don't say too explicitly) about keeping the exemption in place.

NoSb

SOV because you can, HOV because you care!
NoSUV View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoSUV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 2:35pm
quote:
Originally posted by N_or_S_bound
[br]NoSUV,

You're absolutely right about the need for alternative approaches to "gas guzzlers". Seems the market for the hybrid electric/gas combo has reached such a point that the exemption is no longer necessary. ...

NoSb, We agree to disagree. I don't think we've hit the point where the exemption is no longer necessary. I think we will hit that point with the regular lanes travel at the same speed as the express lanes - and we're not there yet.
Wagonman View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2005 at 3:07pm
quote:
Originally posted by NoSUV
[br]Wagonman, Are you saying the state doesn't count? That States should not tax - or provide incentives? Are you nuts?

What are you talking about? You didn't do too well in reading comprehension did you? I'm saying that the hybrid incentive has outlived is usefulness. I didn't mention any tax or eliminating other incentives. In fact, an increased gas tax is exactly what we need but the politicians are are too weak to do what's right.
There is not a "hybrid emissions standard" so I don't know what you are talking about. We should also praise our VA legislature for having the wisdom to give clean fuel plates to cars that have a dirty tier 2 bin 9 emissions rating. I'm also there are plenty of cars that can exceed the mileage of the Escape hybrid. Why should the Escape get an incentive?
Any incentives should be technology blind. Meaning that the incentive should be solely based on emissions and mileage. Let the best technology be determined by the marketplace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 25>
  Share Topic