Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > Morning Slug Lines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horner Road Expansion Area Opens!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tameraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2002 at 2:17pm
quote:

I agree it would be nice two form at least two differrent lines. I propose that the first line should stay in the existing location and be for all No. VA locations. I also propose that a line form in the new lot for all DC locations. Drivers picking up for No. VA locations, continue to enter the lot from the Parkway and form a line as always. Drivers picking up for DC locations should enter via Telegraph entrance and form a line there.

AGREE! I tried the new area in the Horner lot the first day it opened (and on several occasions afterwards) - as of today I returned to Potomac Mills for my sanity.

Anyone know how Potomac Mills was able to successfully split the slug lines? It works great there. Tackett's Mill is unofficially trying to do the same thing but the lot really is too small for that. Horner should've split the line years ago. I assume it's a matter of retraining the drivers, getting the word out. Anyone gone to VDOT yet for approval? Sorry if these questions were already answered - I haven't read through all the current posts.

If they can split up Horner I think it would solve hundreds of morning headaches (I always took 2 aspirin before going to Horner).
;-)

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2002 at 6:47am
Slugs,

Let's make this happen!! I think everybody agrees that at least two lines are needed. So, in the next week let's aggressively spread the word. If everybody helps enforce the new two lines it will make things easier. This is what I propose and posted on the homepage:

Two Lines for Horner Road Line. It's time to split the Horner Road line into TWO separate lines. The popularity of Horner is causing problems so, we need to split this line. Effective 6 Aug (Monday):
1)Create a new slugline at the new bus stop for all sluggers going downtown - 14th Street, 18th Street, Navy Yard, etc.
2)The "old" bus stop could be used for Pentagon and Crystal City traffic.

Trying to start the new line on 6 Aug is aggressive and does not leave much time. But, if everyone spreads the word it will help.

n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 2:16pm
so when you get a ride home to horner and get dropped off at the old bus stop you can walk to your car?

The new lot opened today, but there was very little change in how things worked. All slugging continued to be centered at the old bus stop. The new bus stop was used for Omniride pick ups, but the busses also came to the old stops. The only significant change is that the Omniride busses no longer fight their way through the slugging congestion to get to the stop.

I think that two lines need to be created to make the best use of the new facility. I will offer a suggestion and welcome your ideas.

1. Create a new slugline at the new bust stop for all sluggers going downtown - 14th Street, 18th Street, Navy Yard, etc.

2. The "old" bus stop could be used for Pentagon and Crystal City traffic.

This would seem to be a fifty-fifty split of traffic and would allow many more cars to get to and through the lines much more quickly.

I am not sure which line the Rosslyn traffic would want to go to. I guess Rosslyners can decide that.

Like it? Hate it? Any other ideas?

Also, assuming we do decide to form two lines, how can we go about spreading the word?

Thanks for you time,
Jeff

bguano View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bguano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2002 at 2:21pm
Most people entering the Horner lot enter from the parkway, now you want then to turn left make a U turn and pick up folks at the new bus stop vs. a straight shot. That makes sense. Ane when you slug home they can drop you at the old bus stop. So you can walk to your car in the new lot. Maybe forming lines across from the old bus stop might be a better idea. It also isn't bad to remember the old saying - if it ain't broken dont try to fix it.

The new lot opened today, but there was very little change in how things worked. All slugging continued to be centered at the old bus stop. The new bus stop was used for Omniride pick ups, but the busses also came to the old stops. The only significant change is that the Omniride busses no longer fight their way through the slugging congestion to get to the stop.

I think that two lines need to be created to make the best use of the new facility. I will offer a suggestion and welcome your ideas.

1. Create a new slugline at the new bust stop for all sluggers going downtown - 14th Street, 18th Street, Navy Yard, etc.

2. The "old" bus stop could be used for Pentagon and Crystal City traffic.

This would seem to be a fifty-fifty split of traffic and would allow many more cars to get to and through the lines much more quickly.

I am not sure which line the Rosslyn traffic would want to go to. I guess Rosslyners can decide that.

Like it? Hate it? Any other ideas?

Also, assuming we do decide to form two lines, how can we go about spreading the word?

Thanks for you time,
Jeff

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 6:37am
There are three threads of messages regarding the two lines at Horner Rd. To consolidate comments, please post futher comments at:

http://www.slug-lines.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=230

lkrakie View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lkrakie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2002 at 8:06pm
I slugged today from Horner Road (I'm in the Reserves, do don't slug every day). I didn't see any change to the slug lines and traffic flow. I spoke with some drivers last week that said that if we post some signs, that's all they'd need to implement the new traffic plan. I'm willing to help post signs to help implement the new plan.
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 7:47am
A driver told me that a new DC line has formed at Horner, but on the south side of the old lot (near where you turn toward the bus stop). Is that true? Also, can someone provide some details on recent traffic flow and slug operation? Has it gotten more chaotic or about the same level of chaos as before?

prettyp View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prettyp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 9:35am
It's been almost a month since the expansion to the Horner Lot opened, and though everyone seeems to agree that the lines for downtown and pentagon/rosslyn/crystal city should be split, nothing is happening. Keeping one line is a disorganized mess that serves as a disservice to both driver and rider. What action can be taken to inspire the split?

Stace
Bob View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2002 at 9:55am
I recommend the following:

Pick a date about 2 weeks out (preferably a Monday) for the change.

Type up some flyers indicating the date and the location of the new DC line in the new lot.

Indicate that the DC cars need to enter from the NEW entrance. This change will be the main benefit of new system.

Start handing out flyers to slugs and drivers. Try to get slugs to hand out flyers at different times of day so you get everyone. You must cover both slugs and drivers. If there is an ad-hoc DC line forming separately that must also be included. It takes a couple of weeks and a pretty good effort will be involved.

If someone wants to email me a draft of the flyer I will be glad to look it over.

Admin View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2002 at 7:52am
Thanks everyone for the help and as was mentioned earlier, I think most agree a new line is needed. The 6 Aug date was too agressive and the word didn't spread as quickly as I had hoped. One problem was with my newsletter software not being able to handle the large number of people. New software already purchased.

Here's what I propose:

1) Use 4 Sep 02 as the the new start date. This allows ample time to spread the word and falls on a Wednesday which gives Tuesday as a reminder day after the long weekend.

2) I will draft a flyer and (Bob I'd like you and others to review it)

3) I'll put it on the webpage and send out as an attachment on a newsletter.

4) I'll need some volunteers to help pass out the flyers. If you can help send me an email at: webmaster@slug-lines.com

Thanks for everyone's help!

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic