Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 3:20pm
Instead of serving as an echo for what has been adequately covered in this string, I would instead offer constructive advice for dealing with the rude slug...it can be quite hard to be blunt towards someone, especially a stranger, and if you don't have the courage to speak your mind, what you may want to do is adjust your arrival time by a few minutes. Or you could simply pass the line if you see "El Rude-o" at the front and wait for some other unsuspecting victim to pick him up before you get back in line. Or you could start spreading through word of mouth that you're going to start a system in which you announce a completely awkward destination like "Smithsonian" or Washington Monument" and those in the know will get in your car knowing your true destination. If everybody in the line is as cheesed off by this guy as you are, you'd be amazed how well people can keep a secret.

Kevin O.
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 3:56pm
After reading all these messages, it still comes down to if the slug can refuse to go with a driver, the driver can do the same.

There is not much one can do when drivers come up and pull people out of line that they know. It doesn't happen all that often. Getting mad doesn't change anything. Afterall, it is a free ride. You're a guest in someone elses car. If you're a driver, and you feel comfortable with a certain slug...and you happen to see them in line, I see no reason you can't ask them to ride with you.

With slugging, you can't enjoy the set time thing that you have with carpools/vanpools. There may be days that you have to wait a few minutes longer.

For those that have been slugging for a long time and get to know everyone, then there is the occasion that drivers see you and ask you to ride with them. Afterall, there may be instances that they know where you work, that you're convenient to drop off, etc., etc.

When I see a driver come by and occassionally pull certain slug(s) from the line, I pretty much shrug it off...and wait for the next ride :) Not a big deal.

rale View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 4:09pm
Because the Forum Administrator (start of string) has aked for input concerning these situations, I would also like to chime in and say that I feel the same as the others. "Yes" to drivers have a choice when they don't like a rider and "No" to those who jump out of turn in the line because the driver knows them.

I believe that over the years we as a group have become less tolerable of the jumpers and that may be why you had the impression that sluggers didn't mind those who jumped if they knew the driver. I mind, as do others I've spoken to. Some times the wait for a ride can be long and some times, when it gets close to 6pm in the evening or getting late in the morning, that jumper who came after you did could mean you not getting a ride at all (in the PM when it is close to 6pm and you've been waiting for 1/2 hour) or getting to work later than you would if you got your ride in turn. Thanks for the opportunity to voice our opinions.
Mit View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 4:27pm
I believe this is pretty much everyone's sentiments, however, since the Admin. asked, nothing wrong with expressing how one really feels! And it doesn't hurt if some of the offenders read how people really feel!!!!!

quote:

After reading all these messages, it still comes down to if the slug can refuse to go with a driver, the driver can do the same.

There is not much one can do when drivers come up and pull people out of line that they know. It doesn't happen all that often. Getting mad doesn't change anything. Afterall, it is a free ride. You're a guest in someone elses car. If you're a driver, and you feel comfortable with a certain slug...and you happen to see them in line, I see no reason you can't ask them to ride with you.

With slugging, you can't enjoy the set time thing that you have with carpools/vanpools. There may be days that you have to wait a few minutes longer.

For those that have been slugging for a long time and get to know everyone, then there is the occasion that drivers see you and ask you to ride with them. Afterall, there may be instances that they know where you work, that you're convenient to drop off, etc., etc.

When I see a driver come by and occassionally pull certain slug(s) from the line, I pretty much shrug it off...and wait for the next ride :) Not a big deal.

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 4:32pm
I don't agree. I don't know what slug line you are in, but I often wait 20-30 minutes. Like someone else pointed out, everyone is going to know someone and if you can't play nice....

quote:

lotsa View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lotsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 4:37pm
I wholeheartedly agree with everyone except 610slug (sorry). You say you see "no reason" why. I believe that is the mindset that Maylo was speaking of. No one is getting angry here. We have been asked to give our opinions.
Sheepish View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheepish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 11:45pm
Speaking as a driver, and one who respects and follows the rules, I am quite surprised by some of the responses I've read tonight on this topic.

Thankfully I have never had to deny a particular rider, but my understanding has always has been that both riders/drivers have the option to reject the other.

What specifically surprised me is the number of comments stating that drivers shouldn't pull someone they know from the line. If you go to http://www.slugvirginia.com/slugrules.htm you'll see one of the rules stating it's acceptable. The Administrator of this site states "It was also my understanding that drivers could pull a "friend" out of line and was not obligated to take the first person in line."

I have on occasion pulled a friend that I have run across from the line at the Pentagon. Whenever I've done this, I end up going to a different lot (making my drive home longer), just to be able to spend the time together. How frequently? At most, once a month. Whenever I plan to pick up someone I know, then I pre-arrange a meeting place away from the pick up line.

So- Am I:
"participating in the slug system"
"walking the fence"
"undermining the current success of the slug system"
"picking up princes or princesses"
"unbelievably rude"

- Gosh, I am confused!

I believe I am following, as well as not abusing, the rule.
(It also bothers me that that I have had eyes boring into the back of my head unfairly!)

Seriously-
I can appreciate the frustration one might feel watching another behind them in line getting pulled into a friend's car before they do, but hear me out. I get just as frustrated at the Pentagon some days as I am forced to allow car after car to merge in front of me as I make my way to the line, only to end up sitting and waiting, all because the very cars that merged in front of me took the riders I would have had. When it happens, I "shrug it off", just as 610_Slug does.

So- while one might not agree with a rider taking a friend out of line, I have two sources that state it is acceptable. On the otherhand, it is up to the drivers not to exploit this rule, by using common sense and honor.

To quote the following from www.slugvirginia.com :
"The system works on the honor system...those without honor shouldn't be in the system."

Cas View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 7:21am
I believe some of us were really addressing those folks who do this on a regular basis and that if they are going to consistently do this, they should relocate, make arrangements to meet whomever they want and not be coming to the slug line. I am a driver and a rider, and I would never "pick and choose" at a slug line. At the lot I go to, there are far more riders than drivers, and often there is a wait, and we have several people (the same people) who drive up and actually pick out by pointing at who they want - daily they do this. If you are driving you certainly have the right to choose - there is no law, however, speaking for myself, I agree with those who stated that if we all felt this way, there is no way the slugging system would work. I believe at looking at the system as a whole and how it works for the majority - not how it works for EACH individual. This is only my opinion and if a driver picks someone out - so be it - I don't want to ride with someone who doesn't want me. Thank goodness most people don't do this.
RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:17am
For what it is worth--I am also both a driver and a rider, as are some of my co-workers. Among us, we previously had never discussed this, but if one of us drives up and sees a co-worker in line, we smile and wave....and take the first people in line. None of us have ever felt slighted and none of us have ever taken one of our co-workers out of line. It just simply never occurred to us. It didn't seem like the right thing to do.

It does appear that there is two ways of thinking here, as Cas stated, for the individual and for the whole system. If someone wants to pick someone out of the line, of course no one can say anything about it - it's their car and their right. I never say anything and other people don't say anything - what in the world are we going to say? It is their right, but I'm with those who look at the system as a whole. Like you said, you get frustrated when people cut in front of you, but shrug it off. That's what WE ALL DO! It doesn't make the action OK. We were asked a question by the Forum Administrator and we stated what we believe. Just as you did. We are simply giving our opinion. If people want to pick and choose, they are going to do it, but they are not going to convince everyone that their actions are OK.
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:22am
Let me throw this out for discussion….

You’re standing in the D.C. line in the morning. A car drives up. You’ve driven with this person a few times in the past. You enjoy their company, they’re a good driver, and best of all, they will drop you right off in front of where you work…no walking required. They see you in line and ask you to ride with them. You’re not first person in line for that destination.

What do you do? Pass up their offer, or ride with them?

It will be interesting to read what everyone has to say.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic