Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:27am
Sheepish: What you are doing sounds just fine to me. I got the impression that this string was referring to people who do this as a matter of course. People obviously are looking at this issue differently. Although I'm with the "don't like the jumping" people - at least the slug system is working - and that is quite an accomplishment considering all of the personalities involved!
Joma View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:36am
As a driver and a rider, no question. I would pass. Life would be sweet if we could drive with whomever we liked best and get dropped right off, but how is that fair? It's not. The "fake" reasons given here to break the line are incredibly self-absorbed (but I do know people who feel that those are reasons enough.)

quote:

Let me throw this out for discussion….

You’re standing in the D.C. line in the morning. A car drives up. You’ve driven with this person a few times in the past. You enjoy their company, they’re a good driver, and best of all, they will drop you right off in front of where you work…no walking required. They see you in line and ask you to ride with them. You’re not first person in line for that destination.

What do you do? Pass up their offer, or ride with them?

It will be interesting to read what everyone has to say.

Jah View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:40am
Ditto what Joma wrote. I would also pass.
Ern View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 8:44am
610slug: The only way I would accept that ride is if the driver was Antonio Banderas.
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 9:10am
It's funny that it's mentioned here...but after 8 years of slugging from different locations, I have never seen a slug turn down a ride from a driver who called them from the line. I think I've probably stood in hundreds of lines by this point.

Maybe it just happens in the lines I haven't stood in...maybe it matters where the slug line is located as to what the slugs think. Drivers pulling slugs from the line in the location that I stand every morning probably happens a couple of times a week, and I haven't really heard anyone complaining that much.

I have always tried to follow "slug etiquette" and have always been polite and appreciative of each ride. If I have to wait a few extra minutes because a car came up and pulled someone else from the line, so be it. I have always gotten a ride and I have never once been stranded....even the day after a holiday. So, obvious the system works just fine. Hopefully it will stay the way it is. Where else can you get a 90-mile round trip for free? No complaints here.

Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 9:25am
In response to 610 Slug's scenario --- Not good enough reasons to be unfair to those who have already been waiting. A bit selfish in my view. I would pass.

I would like to say that I slug from the Rt. 17 lot and there is a woman who comes by quite frequently who will stop on the other side of the slug line, get out of the car and motion for one (sometimes two) people that she knows to come to her car. She then swings around and picks up the first person going to her destination. Now this woman shows consideration. It takes more effort to do this instead of driving up to the slug line and pointing out who she wants. (It just reminds me so much of kindergarten.) I think this shows class. She is the only one I have ever seen do this and as far as I'm concerned I have no problem when the choosing is done in this manner. (Once in the evening I was the first in line, grabbed for the car door, since everyone in the evening goes back to the Rt. 17 lot. AS I was sitting down, the driver waved for her two friends and I was totally embarrassed because there was a baby seat and I obviously had to get out.) It's all in the way it is done.
DJM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 10:48am
I drive on average 3 times a week. A woman was at the end of quite a long line of sluggers waiting for a ride. She has ridden with me more than once to the Pentagon so she knew where I was headed. Before I came to a stop to holler out "Pentagon" she gets out of line and headed for me, waving like we were old friends and she gets in the back seat. I don't know this woman. This happened a second time. I was so taken off guard, I didn't have the nerve to say anything. One of the sluggers said that the woman does this because she is always running late. I am in agreement that the people who do this are in the minority, so as yet it does not pose a real problem and it simply isn't worth getting into an argument with such rudeness. But, I am also in agreement that we should not "endorse" line jumping. Since the question was posed, I'm glad that everyone has spoken up. It is rude and it is wrong. With respect to seeing friends, if you've been slugging for any amount of time, you are always going to be seeing friends in the slug lines. I also believe it is a bad move to pick someone out.
kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2002 at 1:02pm
To answer 610's question: I would definitely pass. I see the same people all the time, and yes there are drivers that I prefer to ride with over others but I would absolutely, positively pass.

Kevin O.
viper View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2002 at 3:49pm
I would and have passed on this opportunity on more than one occasion. I tolerate it in others, but do not choose to do so myself.

It seems to be more like car-pooling than slugging, therefore, it should take place in some place other than the slug line.

kortegel View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kortegel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2002 at 7:40am
I hate to beat a dead horse but just this morning an offense like the one described in previous messages occurred at the Rt. 17 lot. A beat-up four-door Ford Tempo drove to the line, continued past the person who was first in line, and stopped for two ladies who were near the very back. They hopped in and the car left. Most sluggers know that the car is a regular for Rosslyn, as were the two ladies of course, but what was criminal about it was that the person waiting at the very front of the line was going there also. I hope this isn't going to be a trend!

Kevin O.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic