Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curtisdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2002 at 3:44pm
You think that's rude? I had to tell a lady she was too big to ride in my car. I felt bad, but I had to do it. I practically had to move her arm to get to my coffee.

Don
Tilmer View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tilmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2002 at 4:19pm
Seems like a difficult thing to say diplomatically - or maybe it can't be. How did she react?
lordscarlet View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordscarlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2002 at 7:47am
OK, this is actually the reason I came to the site today. I don't know if the B.O. person and the "large" person are the same one, but there is a serious problem developing at the fledgling RT. 3 line. The early riders had a great line going, but over the past few weeks it has significantly slowed down. Upon talking to other riders and drivers it appears that not everyone has the diplomacy or heart to refuse the ride to someone for the above reasons. Instead drivers are hiding in the parking lot to wait for this individual to be picked up, waiting until later to come, or driving to RT 17 if they see the person in line. My wait has gone from 5-10 minutes to 30-60 minutes in the span of a few weeks. Should the riders take it upon themselves to inform the offending rider that they are killing our slugline or should we hope that drivers will stand up for their right to refuse a rider?

artplyn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote artplyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2002 at 1:21pm
Hi all. I'm a random driver when our carpool is short, and am considering actually becoming a slug.
The topic is interesting, but I think the REAL issue is that drivers have no socially accepted way to turn down a slug. Slugs easily turn down a driver, but nothing for the driver. Until something is invented, drivers will pull a slug or 'hide' rather than put up with a 'bad slug' or tell them no.
By the way, since everyone says a driver can refuse a slug, that is also saying that pulling is ok (refusal of ALL in front of the selected one).

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2002 at 1:36pm
I believe both slugs and drivers have the same right to refuse each other for whatever reasons they may have (i.e. bad driving, filthy car, eating in car etc.). That's what makes the system work. I know I have personally refused rides with certain drivers because they are a safety risk in my opinion.

As for the cutting in line deal, that is not right and it is also downright rude. Now if the driver picks up their "friend" and still goes to the beginning of the line and takes the next person in line, I feel that that is somewhat acceptable seeing as they are still contributing to the system.

Tisa Shillingburg
thirdbag View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thirdbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2002 at 4:10pm
I haven't read all the posts but if I were driving and saw two people I worked with in line, I would call out the exact destination, Crystal City, Rosslyn, Pentagon City, 123 14th street or whatever the final destination. I routinely slug and pick up riders for the Pentagon because RT. 3 is still in its infancy, but when I drive I always call out my destination first, then the Pentagon as a backup. Isn't that what slugging is all about? Yes, no, maybe?

thirdbag
n/a View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n/a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2002 at 1:06pm
As a driver, I always announce my final destination and will first seek riders to my destination when they are available (regardless of their place in line). But I am always flexible and will take the next rider in line to a central, agreed drop-off like the Pentagon.

I have always tried to remember that slug riders are guests in my car. I try to accomodate the riders with a free, safe ride (even going a few extra blocks when necessary) in a clean, comfortable and quite car. But, at my discretion, riders with muddy feet, open coffee cups/food, make-up application, loud-obnoxious cell phone conversations or unreasonable destination demands are not welcome guests. Some courtesy applies to both parties.
tdar20 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdar20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2002 at 7:59am
If you read previous postings about rejecting a rider, picking people out of line and the so called B.O. lady you will get all the information that you need. This was discussed at length during the late summer. Seems like it never goes away, I guess thats why slugging is so much fun!!
Enjoy, some of the posts are pretty funny and thought provoking![:D]
Margo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2002 at 8:21am
YES!

quote:
Originally posted by thirdbag
[br]I haven't read all the posts but if I were driving and saw two people I worked with in line, I would call out the exact destination, Crystal City, Rosslyn, Pentagon City, 123 14th street or whatever the final destination. I routinely slug and pick up riders for the Pentagon because RT. 3 is still in its infancy, but when I drive I always call out my destination first, then the Pentagon as a backup. Isn't that what slugging is all about? Yes, no, maybe?

thirdbag

Barbara View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2002 at 10:19am
I have the utmost respect for the drivers out there who make a decision to commute more efficiently by using the HOV lanes, whether they are carpool drivers or HOV drivers. I think any driver should have the right to refuse a rider if the rider could distract the driver.

I have, unfortunately, slugged with one person who wanted to talk non-stop to the driver from the 610 lot to L'Enfant. The driver did not encourage the talking, but did respond to questions with brief answers (usually 'yes' or 'no'). If the driver did not enjoy the conversation at all and wanted to reject that rider in the future, they should definitely have a right to do so. The same rationale should apply if the person snores, takes up too much room, complains a lot, talks on cellphone, won't fasten seatbelt, puts on makeup, etc. I want drivers to be as comfortable and as focused on the roadway as possible--whether I'm in their vehicle or in another vehicle. Distractions can cause accidents. If a rider is a distraction to the driver, that in itself should be reason enough for the driver to reject him or her.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic