Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2002 at 1:09pm
Why? If it is a driver that knows him, why can't he go? I mean would you rather ride with strangers or with people you know?

Nina[?]

quote:
Originally posted by mol
[br]If I saw this guy or gal being pulled out of the line "on a regular basis," I would be very angry. It should not be done at all, however, on a regular basis this behavior is the height of gall.

npolastre View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2002 at 1:15pm
I had that happened to me. This lady got in my car, and I thought I was going to wreck with the stench she brought with her. Can you tell someone that is already in your car to get out? I would think that would be rude.

Nina [8D]

quote:
Originally posted by dambam
[br]In the last few weeks, I picked up an individual who had a major case of B.O. going on. Several other people who I pick up on a regular basis also noticed. There is just no polite way of addressing this problem with a stranger. But after 3 or 4 times of having to endure the unpleasant odor, I decided enough was enough. The next time this individual asked to ride with me, I simply told them that I was not going to their destination. Hopefully, this individual will get the hint.

shelbybrynn View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 10:06am
quote:
Originally posted by npolastre
[br]Why? If it is a driver that knows him, why can't he go? I mean would you rather ride with strangers or with people you know?

Nina[?]

quote:
Originally posted by mol
[br]If I saw this guy or gal being pulled out of the line "on a regular basis," I would be very angry. It should not be done at all, however, on a regular basis this behavior is the height of gall.

In response to Nina, slugging is not about riding with people you know. It is a system that works because of people being respectful to one another. If you want to arrange to ride with someone you know, you should meet them somewhere other than the slug line. It is totally disrespectful to pull people out of line.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 12:45pm
I must disagree on this to a point. If you pull up to the line and happen to see somebody you know, then by all means, ride with them! If that happens to you by chance, that is your lucky day!! Now, if you re pulling the same people out of line day in and day out, then I would "suggest" a car pool. If that were me, I would still pull up to the slug line, because I like the freedom of being able to roll up to the line anytime I feel like it, rather than commit to a certain time to meet someone. That is just me. If I see somebody I know, they have a 50/50 chance of getting called out of line. Whatever I feel like. That's what I love about slugging, you can do whatever you want (pretty much) on your own schedule. You are committed to nothing short of basic slug etiquette, which is based on common courtesy, which I have no problem with.

[
In response to Nina, slugging is not about riding with people you know. It is a system that works because of people being respectful to one another. If you want to arrange to ride with someone you know, you should meet them somewhere other than the slug line. It is totally disrespectful to pull people out of line.
tondalea View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tondalea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 2:01pm
I have to agree. If I were a driver and saw a friend in line, I would call them out too, but would also go to the front of the line and take 2 more. I dont mean someone that I know casually from slugging, but a real friend.
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 2:15pm
The reason slugging works is because of the rules of etiquette and common courtesy. It has never been considered courteous to have someone cut in line. Haven't we been taught that since grade school? Now like tondalea said, if you see a friend in line and then still take someone from the front of the line that would be considered somewhat appropriate but to call out to someone in the back of the line just because you know them is not courteous.
npolastre View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npolastre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 2:55pm
You contradict yourself. Isn't a friend or family member someone you know? Of course if you need two riders, you would take the friend and the person in the front.

You said it is not considered courteous to have someone cut in line but then it is ok to pull a friend out of the line? In your way of thinking, it would be rude to pull a friend too so....

Nina

quote:
Originally posted by shelbybrynn
[br]The reason slugging works is because of the rules of etiquette and common courtesy. It has never been considered courteous to have someone cut in line. Haven't we been taught that since grade school? Now like tondalea said, if you see a friend in line and then still take someone from the front of the line that would be considered somewhat appropriate but to call out to someone in the back of the line just because you know them is not courteous.

tbell511 View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbell511 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 3:00pm
And you know what this subject is getting old,people can pickup who they want to pickup in their cars, you no why because it is just that THEIR CAR,I listen to some of people in the sluglines and you would think that you made the car notes, insurance and personal property taxes on these vehicles. STOP the nit picking and just RIDE!

TBell
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbybrynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 3:01pm
If you see a friend in line and you decide to take them and NOT take someone at the front of the line, then you are breaking the rules of slug etiquette. Now if you see a friend and call them out of line AND take a person or two from the front of the line, then that is somewhat appropriate because you are still contributing to the slug system. There is no contradiction there.
mirangus View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mirangus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2002 at 3:44pm
"Will Call—the driver’s option to pick a particular slug not at the front of the line. This situation usually happens when a driver sees a friend in line and simply calls for that individual."

The above is a direct "copy and paste" quotation from the etiquette section of this web page. According to 30 years of slugging by which (and this is just an assumption, but a pretty good one, I think) that section was based, the majority of slugs are in acceptance that every once in a while, someone sees someone they know. They then pick them up. It's really not that big of a deal. You will still need the same amount of people to ride the HOV, the line will decrease in people just the same. If someone in the front has to wait for the next ride, so be it. Nobody gets devestated, no one is heartbroken. You just shrug it off. The slug system works, and it works relatively smoothly. I don't hear too many stories of folks getting stranded, so we'll all get a ride to work/home.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I'm not denouncing anybody's. I'm just saying that perhaps there are better things to be upset over than someone being called out of line. Like the other day when somebody said they would take me to Crystal City and decided that he can't be late for his meeting at the Navy Annex and forced me to walk from there, in a skirt, in freezing temperatures. By the way he picked me up from the 17 lot in a green Jeep Grand Cherokee, so ladies, beware.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic