Slug-Lines.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Slugging Questions and Comments > General Slugging Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Reject a Rider?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I Reject a Rider?
    Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 10:39am
I received the following question from a fellow slugger recently and wanted to hear the comments and opinions from the slugging community. My thought was that a driver had the option of who they picked up just as a rider has the option of rejecting a ride. It was also my understanding that drivers could pull a "friend" out of line and was not obligated to take the first person in line.

Please read the following and post your comments.

The original email was:
I was also under the impression that a driver had the ability to reject riders. For instance, if you know a rider who likes to put makeup on in your car or is drinking coffee without a travel lid, you can ask them either to not do it or reject taking them. Is that true? Also, I know a couple of people who regularly go my direction and they will pick me out of the line because I know them (e.g. same with friends etc.). Technically, that's taking a ride out of turn but does it count if you know these people and they wish to give you a ride? I've done it before but I feel like I'm committing a huge snafu but I don't want to hurt their feelings either.

Cas View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 11:25am
The driver absolutely has the same right as the rider. It is understood that if a driver does not want to pick up a particular rider, that action is accepted among the sluggers, just as it is accepted that riders may decline a driver. By the way, both examples given in the e-mail sent to you are more than valid reasons for rejecting a rider, however, even if the reason would be minor to another person, it is still the driver's decision. If he/she doesn't like someone for any reason, it is the sole decision of the driver - just as it is for the rider. With regard to pulling a friend out of line, I have no problem with it because it happens so infrequently. If, on the other hand, this type of pulling from the line was more frequent, it would undermine the current success of the slugging system.
Macey View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 11:40am
I agree with Cas, but would like to add one thing -- if, as this person who e-mailed you seemed to be saying, he or she is being picked up REGULARLY, then why not arrange to meet somewhere else in the parking lot? If they don't want a permanent situation, all it takes is a phone call from the driver in the a.m. to see if this person wants a ride. You're either participating in the slugging system or you are not. These people - drivers and riders - are walking the fence.
RM View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 11:57am
I agree that the driver most certainly has the right to refuse a rider. I'm a bit confused about his other question, though. When the person writes that he (or she)doesn't "want to hurt their feelings" something seems a bit off. What's the problem with saying to them the next time they are seen ("a couple of people who
R E G U L A R L Y go my direction and they will pick me out of the line") that he feels uncomfortable doing it on a regular basis? For heaven's sake, any reasonble person would understand. Sounds like this person wants the best of both worlds (slugging and a regular car pool) - but such actions on a regular basis most certainly will impact the slug line in a negative way. My suggestion to this person is to wait his turn - there are no princes and princesses in the slugging system.

mol View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 12:09pm
If I saw this guy or gal being pulled out of the line "on a regular basis," I would be very angry. It should not be done at all, however, on a regular basis this behavior is the height of gall.
610_Slug View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 610_Slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 12:18pm
It's interesting...a fellow slug and I just had a conversation concerning this topic on our ride home last night from L'Enfant to 610 with the people who picked us up.

Our feeling is if we can reject rides as slugs, the driver should have the option of rejecting certain slugs. The case in point we were referring to is one particular slug who leaves from L'Enfant to 610 each night who drives everyone crazy. All the drivers know him and hate the idea that they have to pick him up. He is strange, rude, and obnoxious...and basically won't stop talking. When I have been stuck with him a couple times on the way home, I even tried the "fake sleeping bit"...but to no avail. He just wouldn't be quiet. In fact, we have a hard time just hanging out with him in line because he drives us nuts :)

We told the driver that she had the option of picking up someone else in line if he happened to be there when she came by. It was basically up to her. She had no idea that she had that option...and figured she was stuck with him.

We don't believe this type of thing happens often. Our feeling is if the guy realized that people didn't want to pick him up, maybe he would take the hint and make us all happy by shutting his mouth :) It's too long of a ride home to have someone driving you crazy the whole time.

mycroftt View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycroftt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 12:33pm
610: Maybe the driver you mention should try the "fake sleeping bit" too and obnoxo-slug might start refusing to get in her car.

Mike
Andy View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 1:26pm
1. No question, both drivers and riders have the right to refuse a rider, driver.
2. It is very bad form in my opinion when riders break the line to take a ride because they know the person. If it is so important that you break the line to ride with someone, then make arrangements with that person and stay out of the slug line.
Maylo View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maylo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 2:31pm
Riders and drivers alike have the right to refuse a ride or rider. I would guess that more times than not, if a driver has a problem with a rider, the other slugs probably do to, but even if it was a one on one problem, it is the indiviual's choice whether to accept a rider or not. Fortunately, the majority of slugs are considerate and pleasant and this is not a huge problem.

Every one I've ever talked with about slugs breaking out of turn in the line is in full agreement that this is grossly inconsiderate. I say nothing and grit my teeth because too often people who think like this will never get it and it isn't worth getting into an argument. I am not impressed with people who either think this is OK or just don't care. Either way, they are a huge smudge on an otherwise phenomenal commute system. PJ is correct that this is a first-come, first-serve system and all of these lame reasons for breaking the line are just that-lame. If someone wants to ride with another person, the slug line is not the place for them. It seems to me that it is generally the same people who do this, and thank goodness, they are in a small minority.

Par View Drop Down
New Slug
New Slug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Par Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2002 at 3:07pm
The writer of the e-mail writes "does it count if you know these people and they wish to give you a ride" referring to jumping the line out of turn. YES it "counts." (The tone here is disdain.) It is inevitable that ALL of us will at times see others that we know, are friends with, and even relatives. Can you imagine if we all felt it was OK to do this? No one is special. Like PJ says "first-come, "first-served." You can't have the best of both worlds. I am thankful that the vast majority of people simply wave and say "hi" to those they know. They don't even entertain the idea of getting into the car out of turn.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic